If Asshai is the home of fire magic.

Jon's Queen Consort

15 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Where do you think the rest of elemental magic come from?

I know that this isn’t in the books but if you have to guess where do you believe that they rest of the elemental magic, water, air and earth, would come from?  

I'm not convinced that fire magic comes from Asshai- I would look there for the origins of shadow magic, however. Stygai might be the source of fire magic and perhaps the Isle of Faces for Earth, the Palace of Love for Water, and either K'Dath or the City of the Winged Men for Air?

6 minutes ago, hiemal said:

I'm not convinced that fire magic comes from Asshai

I am conflicted about this too. I was thinking that fire magic came from Valyria but then I remembered that Valyria was a relatively young realm and even if they had volcanoes they only gain power, and magic?, after they found the dragons.

13 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

I am conflicted about this too. I was thinking that fire magic came from Valyria but then I remembered that Valyria was a relatively young realm and even if they had volcanoes they only gain power, and magic?, after they found the dragons.

Yep- my tentative guess at the moment for the birthplace of fire magic is Nagga's Bones in the Iron Islands but it could as easily be Stygai.

12 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Because of the dragon that died there?

Sort of- I think the "dragon" Nagga could represent a tectonic boundary like the "rim of fire" in our own world and the Nagga event may have rbeen a magical taming of the fires of the earth and possibly been the moment of the creation of dragons. An argument could b

56 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Where do you think the rest of elemental magic come from?

I know that this isn’t in the books but if you have to guess where do you believe that they rest of the elemental magic, water, air and earth, would come from?  

This is a short version of what I tend to lean towards, but yes, I do think the art of shadow binding comes from Asshai as does fire magic as we have seen so far. Water magic, maybe the Rhoyne? Wind magic and earth magic I see as maybe old Westeros with the Children of the Forest.

And I also think Dany is the shadowbinder to Drogon, the winged shadow. Moqorro seems to know this and is taking a more direct route, while Mel might also being told this info, just that she is reading everything incorrectly and she is zig-zagging her way to Dany.

Dany has her marriage to fire in the Drogo pyre. She calls it a marriage and she is the bride of fire. Drogon is called a shadow several times in the story, and Dany has to walk beneath a shadow to touch the light. I think Dany will be "reborn" when she goes to Vaes Dothrak and she has her winged shadow with her while in the shadow if the mountains. The blood of the dragon is binding to the winged shadow.

I've been thinking about this some more and wanted to add a little:

I'm not sure to what extant Asshai and Stygai need to be considered seperately- Asshai could be one of the "hinges of the world" that Mel mentioned, like the Wall, and not the source of anything. A hinge can be viewed as something that ultimately allows or denies passage (like the Wall) from somewhere else, part of a portal. If that is the case then Stygai could be source of Shadow magic (and the Shadowbinders argue strongly for this) and for the pact that binds dragons to people even if, as I suspect, the dragons themselves may have originated in Westeros.

19 minutes ago, hiemal said:

I'm not sure to what extant Asshai and Stygai need to be considered seperately- Asshai could be one of the "hinges of the world" that Mel mentioned, like the Wall, and not the source of anything. A hinge can be viewed as something that ultimately allows or denies passage (like the Wall) from somewhere else, part of a portal. If that is the case then Stygai could be source of Shadow magic (and the Shadowbinders argue strongly for this) and for the pact that binds dragons to people even if, as I suspect, the dragons themselves may have originated in Westeros.

Ya know, that is a good point :thumbsup:. The combo of Stygai and Asshai are almost exact parallels to the Westeros North, the Wall, and north of the wall. If the Wall falls, then the "land is one", as Jojen says, so this idea could be the same for Styg/Ass??? That land is one, and it is flooded by ill conceived rumors.

Winterfell will become the Asshai of the west.  The border "town" between the living and the walking dead. 

The story is about the duel between fire and ice.  I suppose there are other elements but everything starts with heat/light/fire/life and cold/ice/darkness/death.  The Targaryens burn their dead and releases their souls.  The Starks keep their dead close by and keeps their souls imprisoned. 

Sort of- I think the "dragon" Nagga could represent a tectonic boundary like the "rim of fire" in our own world and the Nagga event may have rbeen a magical taming of the fires of the earth and possibly been the moment of the creation of dragons. An argument could b

I had never thought about it. I like it. But I would like to add that I consinder Asshai and Stygai as almost the same place.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2017 at 9:04 AM, Josette DuPres said:

Winterfell will become the Asshai of the west.  The border "town" between the living and the walking dead. 

The story is about the duel between fire and ice.  I suppose there are other elements but everything starts with heat/light/fire/life and cold/ice/darkness/death.  The Targaryens burn their dead and releases their souls.  The Starks keep their dead close by and keeps their souls imprisoned. 

The Five Forts is the equivalent of the Wall in Essos.  Essos is much bigger so it is to be expected that everything there will be grander and larger than its counterpart in Westeros.  The Great Pyramid of Meereen has the Hightower as its counterpart.  

Asshai is a city and Winterfell is a rinky dinky castle and would not qualify as a city.  An outpost perhaps.    Asshai could be the future of King's Landing.  It is said Asshai could fit KL, Volantis, and so on within its borders.  The scale is much grander even if the population is a lot smaller.  

There is likely a volcano in the south of the Shadow Lands giving namesake to the region. Though like some have mentioned both Stygai and the Land of Always Winter could be magic gone wrong. A permanent curse of extremes if you will on the region where magic was out of control. 

Archived