Buried cache at Fist of First Men

Lady Winter Rose

Jon and Ghost found cache wrapped in new cloak and buried in the ground near the fist. It's in ACOK, when Nights Watch goes searching for information about undead and Benjen. Who do you think buried it? I kind of hope it's Benjen, and I don't believe into CH=Benjen theory. I hope Benjen is still alive.

It's possible Coldhands buried that package, but Ghost behaved strangely, like he recognized the smell of a cloak.

2 hours ago, Lady Winter Rose said:

Jon and Ghost found cache wrapped in new cloak and buried in the ground near the fist. It's in ACOK, when Nights Watch goes searching for information about undead and Benjen. Who do you think buried it? I kind of hope it's Benjen, and I don't believe into CH=Benjen theory. I hope Benjen is still alive.

It's possible Coldhands buried that package, but Ghost behaved strangely, like he recognized the smell of a cloak.

I'm not sure who buried it, but I think it had to be found by a person with Stark blood, and it might have been available only on that specific night. Some of the things Mormont does in that chapter make me think he knew that there was a specific night and a fairly narrow window of opportunity for Jon to be led to the site.

The Night's Watch men call the comet "Mormont's Torch". Jon brings a torch to the place Ghost leads him and stabs it into the ground before digging. To me, it's as if the comet fell to earth at that location, which brings the sword Dawn to mind. I suspect that the obsidian dagger Jon keeps from the cache may actually end up being Lightbringer. I believe the comet sightings stop after Jon finds the obsidian cache, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I also found it interesting to compare the description of the hand-made handle Jon constructs for his obsidian dagger with the "ugly" handle on Gared's weapon in the opening prologue of AGoT. Jon and Gared are both deserters, so the similar weapons add to the parallel.

Archived