R+L=J v.164

SFDanny

On 7 June 2017 at 4:34 AM, Shmedricko said:

Arya was speaking to Gendry, but I wonder if Martin was also thinking of Jon when he wrote this. Same here:

"Your dreams don't lie," said Dunk, "but you do. John is not your true name, is it?"

"No." The Fiddler's eyes sparkled with mischief.

He has Egg's eyes.

"His true name will be revealed soon enough, to those who need to know." Lord Gormon Peake had slipped into the pavilion, scowling. "Hedge knight, I warn you—" (The Mystery Knight)

I think this passage proves the theory that 'Jon' is not really Jon's name at all. The name was just a cover up for Ned to hide him as his bastard, which means his original name could be something a lot more Targearyen. And I could totally picture GRRM chuckling when writing this "His true name will be revealed soon enough, to those who need to know." As if actually talking to us :)

On 6/16/2017 at 6:50 AM, WeKnowNothing said:

I think this passage proves the theory that 'Jon' is not really Jon's name at all. The name was just a cover up for Ned to hide him as his bastard, which means his original name could be something a lot more Targearyen. And I could totally picture GRRM chuckling when writing this "His true name will be revealed soon enough, to those who need to know." As if actually talking to us :)

Empire magazine recently spoiled Jon's true name for the show. Not sure if GRRM will use that name, though, but it is a fitting name. 

It is stated here that it is not a leak but a fan theory, as well as supposedly lip-reading from Season 6. - Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but, just for the sake:

Spoiler

I must say that I quite like the idea - Jaehaerys starts with the same sound, so Ned kept at least something from the name that Lyanna gave her son, and especially: Jaehaerys the Conciliator. Sounds much like what Jon is doing, making peace to fight the common enemy. It even ties into the prophecy: Rhaegar's grandfather Jaehaerys was the one ordering the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella, though I am not sure if Rhaegar would see this as a positive thing.

4 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Empire magazine recently spoiled Jon's true name for the show. Not sure if GRRM will use that name, though, but it is a fitting name. 

The show fans seem to either go with Jaehearys or Aegon, since they probably tried to lip read Lyanna's words as much as possible. Although that does not make any sense, as Rhaegar already had a son called Aegon (why they would show in a prequel) and the Jaehearys's have been taken out of the shows Tagearyen family tree. So using these names would be very sudden and it would make show only fans even more confused.

personally, I hope they go with 'Aemon' as being the true name since D&D try to copy as much from the books as possible, and the books have A LOT of foreshadowing for the name Aemon. And also would be bittersweet since the characters know Maester Aemon, and he had a good relationship with Jon.

12 hours ago, Ygrain said:

It is stated here that it is not a leak but a fan theory, as well as supposedly lip-reading from Season 6. - Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but, just for the sake:

Hide contents

I must say that I quite like the idea - Jaehaerys starts with the same sound, so Ned kept at least something from the name that Lyanna gave her son, and especially: Jaehaerys the Conciliator. Sounds much like what Jon is doing, making peace to fight the common enemy. It even ties into the prophecy: Rhaegar's grandfather Jaehaerys was the one ordering the marriage of Aerys and Rhaella, though I am not sure if Rhaegar would see this as a positive thing.

Well that author was an idiot. Why do that? What's the point?

I do agree with your reasons for liking the name, but now I'm wondering if it isn't something else. 

ETA: I think Aemon is likely, too. 

On 6/19/2017 at 11:08 PM, anjulibai said:

<snip> 

On 6/20/2017 at 1:09 AM, Ygrain said:

<snip>

Reveal hidden contents

On 6/20/2017 at 3:56 AM, WeKnowNothing said:

<snip>

Probably worth a reminder that discussion of the show in the General forum can lead to a ban:

You might want to delete the text of those posts before someone reports them.  Unless I am mistaken about what those posts were about (I stopped reading before getting to what it appeared might be show-related stuff).  That is very important to those of us who don't watch the show, especially since the final season is about to come out. 

On 20/06/2017 at 2:27 AM, maudisdottir said:

was on board with Jaeherys being the name, but on a recent re-watch I saw Aegon. Maybe it's my new TV but now I'm Team Aegon - not because I particularly like it as his name, but I really think that's what she's saying.

I do concur with your honorable comment. 

On 6/20/2017 at 10:31 AM, Ygrain said:

Personally, I'd go with Aemon, too, but I think that the Jaehaerys theory has its merit.

I think Jaehaerys, too since I think the first is the Targaryen king Jon most resembles. 

His predecessors: Aegon and Viserys/Jon's predecessors: Aegon and Viserys (via Aerys's decree)

His Grace gave the babe a pearl ring off his finger to play with, and told the twins the story of how their great-great-grandsire and namesake  Jaehaerys the Old King had flown his dragon north to the Wall to defeat a vast host of wildlings, giants, and wargs. 

Jon also did that at the Battle of the Castle Black. 

GRRM in the recent TIME interview...

Do these new ideas along the way occur in reaction to the TV show Game of Thrones? Do you find yourself trying to complicate or diverge from what’s airing on TV, or to dig into characters who aren’t as heavily featured on the show?

I don’t consider it in those terms. The show is the show and it’s developed a life of its own at this point. I am involved in the show, of course, and have been since the beginning, but my main focus has got to be the books. You have to remember that I started writing this story in 1991 and I first met David and Dan [showrunners Benioff and Weiss] in 2007. I was living with these characters and this world for 16 years before we even started working on the show. They’re pretty fixed in my mind and I’m not going to change anything because of the show, or reaction to the show, or what fans think. I’m just still writing the story that I set out to write in the early 1990s.

And Jon Snow, too, is drained by the experience of coming back from the dead on the show.

Right. And poor Beric Dondarrion, who was set up as the foreshadowing of all this, every time he’s a little less Beric. His memories are fading, he’s got all these scars, he’s becoming more and more physically hideous, because he’s not a living human being anymore. His heart isn’t beating, his blood isn’t flowing in his veins, he’s a wight, but a wight animated by fire instead of by ice, now we’re getting back to the whole fire and ice thing.

http://time.com/4791258/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-interview/

Hmmm... to me, GRRM was in lock-step with D&D regarding Jon's return.  Although, I believe that it will be the combination of Val (ice ritual) and Mel (fire ritual) that will bring Jon back.

44 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

They indeed are, but rarely come to the discussions these days, so this thread is the next best thing. What would you like to know?

May I private message you? It is something I think left in a private discussion at the moment, if possible?

On 16/07/2017 at 2:16 PM, Maester Crypt said:

Is it possible to chat with someone who knows a lot about this theory? Are the people that run this site highly informed on the theory?

I mean no offense by the questions, I just need to find someone well informed, truly.

I don't think you're likely to find anyone more informed about the theory than the people who visit this thread. You'd be better off asking here than asking any one person. 

Archived