WGA Strike 2017. . . The return of Dr. Horrible (?)

PetyrPunkinhead

The Writer's Guild of America has overwhelmingly (96%) voted to go on strike. According to this Variety article, the last strike lasted more than 100 days, but negotiations resume today, so maybe things won't go as long this time.

The WGA released the results Monday, a day ahead of the resumption of contract negotiations on a master contract with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. A work stoppage could start as early as May 2, after the current three-year master contract has expired.

The AMPTP issued a statement in response to the strike authorization announcement: “The companies are committed to reaching a deal at the bargaining table that keeps the industry working. The 2007 Writers Strike hurt everyone. Writers lost more than $287 million in compensation that was never recovered, deals were cancelled, and many writers took out strike loans to make ends meet. We remain focused on our objective of reaching a deal with the WGA at the bargaining table when the guild returns on April 25th.”

The AMPTP seems key on reminding the WGA how much money was lost by writers last time, and that comes across to me as a scare tactic. I'm on the writers' side in this, as most producers are basically glorified investors. I view this as being akin to an owner and coach dispute in the NFL. (Kinda. Maybe the director would be the coach? Actors are definitely the players. I'm regretting this analogy. I'll stop now.)

I'm okay with a short strike for three reasons. 1. it all starts with the writer(s), so they should get a proportional piece of the profits. 2. maybe we'll get a sequel to Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog from the Whedon boys outta this, and 3. maybe this will give me a chance to finally catch up on some shows. There's too much good TV out there. I can't keep up with it all!

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I wouldn't think so since it's the Writers Guild of America. 

A lot of US shows are made in other countries, though, so I assume they would be impacted as the writers are probably registered with the WGA and work for US production companies.

Archived