‘Outlaw King’: Robert The Bruce Scottish Epic

AncalagonTheBlack

Ok,the director and stars of Hell Or High Water,which i really liked, are making this...but how in hell are Chris Pine and Ben Foster going to do Scottish accents? :P:D

EXCLUSIVE: In one of the first major deals coming together as Scott Stuber takes the reins as head of Netflix feature films, the director and stars of Hell Or High Water are in final talks to re-team in Outlaw King, an epic period drama that will tell a different version than Braveheart did on Robert The Bruce, the king who led his country to freedom from the oppressive rule of England in Scotland.

Netflix isn’t commenting, but I’ve heard the plan is for David Mackenzie to direct, with his Hell Or High Water star Chris Pine finalizing a deal to play the Scottish king. Ben Foster is in talks to play James Douglas, the Scottish knight who became the king’s chief adviser. Bash Doran (The Looming Tower) wrote the draft. Sigma Films’ Gillian Berrie is producing with Anonymous Content’s Richard Brown and Steve Golin. The film is slated to shoot in Scotland in August.

To fair, most Brits do US language usage very badly, at least in British television series.  They tend to default to some implausible attempt at Texas - Southern that is neither (nor do all Texans and Southerners talk the same way). For only a single example Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the series, Dracula -- ooo la la! was that bad.

And when they are playing southerners or Texans, everything, not only the language is way off key, out of tune and so cliched as to make a US viewer blush with embarrassment on their behalf.

Hell or High Water was awesome so hope this is good. 

6 hours ago, Spockydog said:

This is guaranteed to be terrible, simply because no American has ever managed anything remotely like a passable Scottish accent.

:D probably right but I think it'll be cool to see Americans terrible British accents for once instead of the other way around. 

• 3 months later...

Aaron Taylor-Johnson Is Scottish Legend James Douglas In Netflix’s ‘Outlaw King’

EXCLUSIVE: Aaron Taylor-Johnson is being set to co-star as James Douglas in Outlaw King, the David Mackenzie-directed Netflix feature that stars Chris Pine as Robert the Bruce in the War for Scottish Independence.

I somehow missed this thread before. I'm sure I'll end up watching it if it is made, I think there's a lot of potential for interesting stories in the Wars of Independence, I suppose they might be trying to avoid having too much comparison with Braveheart, but I'd say the more obvious approach could have been to focus on Wallace (and/or Andrew Moray) in the first film and then Bruce later on. It would be nice to see a slightly less fanciful portrayal than Braveheart, I think the modern TV audience might almost expect a more nuanced story than just having virtuous heroes one side and villains on the other.

As for the accents, as long as they don't sound American (or Australian) I probably won't mind too much. I'm not ever sure what accent would best suit an Anglo-Norman-Scottish 13th Century aristocrat.

The irony with Braveheart is pf the three main fighters (wallace, Hamish and the mad Irish dude) is that the two Scotsmen are played by an Australian/American and an Irishman, and the Irishman is played by a Scotsman.

• 3 months later...

Updated cast:

Chris Pine as Robert the Bruce

Aaron Taylor-Johnson as James Douglas, Lord of Douglas

Florence Pugh as Elizabeth de Burgh

Billy Howle as Edward, Prince of Wales

Tony Curran as Angus Macdonald

Alastair Mackenzie

James Cosmo as Robert de Brus, 6th Lord of Annandale

Callan Mulvey as John III Comyn, Lord of Badenoch

Stephen Dillane as Edward I of England

Steven Cree as Christopher Seton

Sam Spruell as Aymer de Valence, 2nd Earl of Pembroke

Jamie Sives

First Look At Chris Pine In Netflix’s ‘Outlaw King’

I wonder if the script writers have read Jack Whyte's historical fiction series about figures -- The Guardians:

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Bruce-Guardians-Jack-Whyte/dp/0765331608

Forest Laird, particularly, focuses on the very different characters of Wallace and Bruce, and how they worked together.

I, for one, like these quite a bit, not least because they are so NOT the travesty that is Braveheart!

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

I wonder if the script writers have read Jack Whyte's historical fiction series about figures -- The Guardians:

https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Bruce-Guardians-Jack-Whyte/dp/0765331608

Forest Laird, particularly, focuses on the very different characters of Wallace and Bruce, and how they worked together

There's no mention of Wallace being cast, so I'm guessing this series picks up the story sometime in the years between Wallace's capture and execution and Bannockburn.

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

No Ben Foster? :( 

I don't have anything against Aaron Taylor-Johnson, but I think Ben Foster would have been a more interesting choice. Some good actors in the rest of the cast, I think Stephen Dillane could be a good Edward I and Tony Curran has been good in everything I've seen him in.

I thought this would have been a series as Robert the Bruce had an eventful life. Thr creative team are good though.

On 05/08/2017 at 4:11 AM, Pecan said:

Chris Pine? Gosh, what a terrible idea. 

He's actually really good in most things but I agree it's an odd choice for play Robert.

Like others mentioned, it's fairly common for australians, english, south africans to mangle american accents too. It's not like Scottish is one accent either but for a film I bet they go for "standard" scottish irrespective of where characters come from.

I guess if the performance and show is otherwise good it's easy to overlook. I didn't let Thor being unashamedly australian detract from my enjoymeny of Ragnarok.

• 9 months later...

Archived