Cheating at Death: Re-examining Jaqen's Bargain

hiemal

On 12/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, hiemal said:

Who do you think hired them? My guess would be Quaithe but a case could be made for Varys/Illyrio.

Probably nobody. His immortal existence goes against the core tenants of their philosophy. They're bringing him the Gift because the Many Faced God is overdue. We don't understand their bylaws very well, but based on what's been explained about how preserving a life beyond its time creates a "debt" to their God, it's reasonable to presume that a life preserved indefinitely creates a serious problem for them that needs to be rectified at any cost.

But if we have to assume there's a client, my money would be on the Citadel. This would explain why he's at the Citadel now: he's collecting the payment. Lewin almost certainly knew more about what was happening to Bran than he let on: Bloodraven making contact with Bran may have been what led the Citadel to such a desperate action.

I don't think we understand Quaithe's motives enough at this point to pin anything on her and I really don't see Varys and Illyrio as players of the Mythic game.

On 12/9/2017 at 7:54 PM, hiemal said:

I wonder if the Faceless Men require an exact location for their target or if they have own means of divination?

I don't think they know exactly where he is, just that he's somewhere North of the wall. Becoming Rangers of the Night's Watch would give them a plausible cover for riding around up there hunting him down.

1 hour ago, Damon_Tor said:

Probably nobody. His immortal existence goes against the core tenants of their philosophy. They're bringing him the Gift because the Many Faced God is overdue. We don't understand their bylaws very well, but based on what's been explained about how preserving a life beyond its time creates a "debt" to their God, it's reasonable to presume that a life preserved indefinitely creates a serious problem for them that needs to be rectified at any cost.

I like that idea, but it begs the question how they knew that he was still alive.

But if we have to assume there's a client, my money would be on the Citadel. This would explain why he's at the Citadel now: he's collecting the payment. Lewin almost certainly knew more about what was happening to Bran than he let on: Bloodraven making contact with Bran may have been what led the Citadel to such a desperate action.

Interesting. The maesters have knowledge of the 3EC, perhaps, and Lewin recognized him from Bran's dreams?

I don't think they know exactly where he is, just that he's somewhere North of the wall. Becoming Rangers of the Night's Watch would give them a plausible cover for riding around up there hunting him down.

It would indeed, and raises the possibility that the Night's King or Queen could be that target?

Archived