Is jon snow actually religous or loyal to his heritage?

snow is the man

Alot of the time I feel that when he talks about the old gods he is not that religous but follows them because northmen are supposed to. I know he believes in them but some times I feel he flip flops. We hear him say that he couldn't do what stannis wanted (becoming lord of winterfell) because it would mean burning the weirwood (not sure if that is what it's called). But my take on that was that for the large part it would be going against the north and dishonarable in his eyes. He specifically mentions his father saying how important that tree was to winterfell. I think he is a believer but I don't think he is very religous and alot of his decisions are more about honor and such. Anyone else feel this way.

Like everyone else he more or less has an order which goes something like this Family/night's watch/realm(he struggles here)>Old Gods.Jon knows Ned was religious but he always kept cool about it,Jon is like that ,silent prayers and respect but other things comes first .Burning the Old Tree at Winterfell would've been hard for him not only because it is weirwood but because it is only living thing now that Winterfell is burnt and cold.Recall how even Theon is brought to tears when he thinks of the godswoods and he has no love for the old gods but because some of his best memories took place there.

Once Maester Aemon told him how he left the chance to become the king when once he had taken his vows Jon was very impressed about it.After his father Aemon and Lord Mormont are the two people who have made a deep impression on Jon.But still when Arya is in danger he has to do something because she is the only remaining family to him and the last of the line of Starks .He respects his vows but it is about his family and not only about the Night watch's vows anymore,the vows were there so that The Wall might remain standing till the day the Other or The Wight appears after that it becomes the duty of the realm as well to help support the Walker of the Walls .He knows that a Stannis win is very important if they are to survive ,so he is now thinking more in terms of how he can help Stannis as well as his Little Sis .

I just hope he survives  and mounts a giant ass ice dragon and give us many and more Stannis/Jon chapters.

Jon is a progressive.

He allowed men to swear their vows in front of the old gods with the risk that they have to go north of the wall.  Jon also did not like how the brothers would laugh at Melisandre and her Red God.  He presided Alys to marry Sigorn in the name of R'hllor via Mel.

But in his heart, he cannot separate himself of the old gods.  It was this staunch feeling, faith and conviction that he did not want to be Lord of Winterfell, the price was too great, the price where the Heart Tree in the godswood would be cut off and burned.

I think the nature of the "Old Gods" doesn't allow you to be what we consider "religious." It has no structure, no priest, churches, or rules. It seems like all you can do is acknowledge and respect these gods. It's different with the Seven (which is like Catholicism) and the Red God. These have institutions that make societal rules and norms.  

3 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

I think the nature of the "Old Gods" doesn't allow you to be what we consider "religious." It has no structure, no priest, churches, or rules. It seems like all you can do is acknowledge and respect these gods. It's different with the Seven (which is like Catholicism) and the Red God. These have institutions that make societal rules and norms.  

You can have religions without institutions that have societal rules and norms, just that in a minor grade. Take paganism, for example. There is no one Pagan Celtic Church (that I know of?), but the cults of different regions have many similarities.

Now, Jon himself isn't really very religious (funny, neither is Dany). I think he's like many here call a "secular Christian". Someone who doesn't go faithfully to Church except in very sacred Holy days (like Holy Week) or the occasional wedding. I wonder if this means he (and Dany?) are targeted to become for religious at some point. They both have so far witnessed very powerful magic.

34 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

You can have religions without institutions that have societal rules and norms, just that in a minor grade. Take paganism, for example. There is no one Pagan Celtic Church (that I know of?), but the cults of different regions have many similarities.

I agree but what I'm saying is how would you judge a devout Old Gods follower? Respect and acknowledgement. 

Archived