Who tried to kill Bran?

Ser Loras The Gay

1 hour ago, rmanoj said:

So Joffrey managed to ditch his sworn shield and arrange all this on his own? 

He didn't have much trouble ditching him when he wanted to spend time with Sansa.  And that was riding around the countryside, when having a bodyguard would seem to be a requirement.  So, it's likely he could wander around Winterfell without a tail if he really wanted to.

As for arranging it, he probably overheard someone talking and figured he would either be a good catspaw or intermediary to one.  Not that it really matters. This is a work of fiction after all, so none of this is real, and gaps and lapses of this sort are to be expected and pretty much go with the territory. 

• 2 weeks later...

well, what if we look at this with a little bit of logic.

point 1: Bealish did, in fact, hate ned. ned had possession of something the petyr had wanted for a very long time, and been continuously denied. and petyr is known for hold grudges with lethal intensity. he hate brandon for wounding and humiliating him, and ned for marrying the women he wanted.

point 2: folks are saying that the dagger had been in robert's armory. now, do you honestly think a common foot-pad would have been able to steal a valyrian dagger from the KING's own armory? those men would have guarded it with their lives. robert was know to have a severe temper after all. so who could have accessed it? someone with enough authority would have been few in the party. lets say joffery, cause i hate that evil little blond shit. he would have every opportunity and right to look through his fathers weapons, as long as he didn't take anything. but a dagger? very easy to hide under a tunic. oh, he might not have known it was valyrian steel til he accidentally cut himself with it. then taken a closer look. you say he should have recognized it? just how families would joff had contact with in 15 odd years that would have even had a valyrian weapon? and still how many of those families would be willing to remove such a precious family heirloom from their home just to show it off to a little spoiled prince?

motive?: well, i agree that LF was a little involved. the man practically feeds on chaos, and yes, he would have multiple contingency plans. if he had every move planed out like some sort of god of fate, then Cat wouldn't have died at the twins, she would have been securely ensconced somewhere for little petyr to care for and woo at his leisure. i agree that he like plans 3 or so moves ahead, then sets up plans for the most likely outcomes of those moves. look at his track record. he always seems to have a plan. LF is likely the smartest man on the damn continent.

so i agree that he likely saw an opportunity with Roberts journey to winterfell, so puts an notion in Joffs head, a notion that would stire up dissension between the Starks and Lannisters. then lets joff handle the details. its the same thing he did with lysa to kill arryn, with olenna to joff, and then lay the blame on sansa and tyrion, he sets the notion out, lets others handle details with minimal assistance from himself, then when shit hits the fan, he can easily turn and say " oh, i had nothing to do with it, the plans were all that person's. they hired everyone, the paid all the bribes, they gave all the orders. all the details came from them. they're to blame" and he gets away clean.

once in winterfell, joff maybe forgets it all, the idea is at the back of his mind. then he stood up to in the yard by robb, who was willing to take joff up on his challenge. i doubt joff was as nonchalant as he put on. think about, this is a spoiled little princeling, who brags about his skill with a blade, but got one upped by a little girl with no training? yes i know that happened after, i just use that scene to illustrate his attitude and personality. joff stood in the yard, bragging that he would only spar with live steel, and robb stood up to take the challenge, even if he was held back, he was willing to put the prince on his ass, again since apparently robb kept beating with the regular practice weapons. i bet joff was used to sparring at the red keep and always winning cause cersei insinuated to all his training masters and partners that "bad things" would happen to anyone to harm a single golden hair on his head. so he wins cause no one is wiiling to actual make him work for it, so an overconfidence in a false skill. then when bran falls, and tyrion tears into him about proper behavior, slapping him in the process, humiliating the prince again in public, tho how public that scene i dont really know. thats when joff starts coming to the little idea at the back of his head.

so joff can easily get that dagger from his father's armory, and sneak it a foot-pad, telling him to wait and kill bran after the party have left winterfell. joffery is a coward and sadist. we cannot stress that enough. he is petty and vindictive, just like his mother. having a intermediary go after the weakest child, after he was "safely" away from winterfell,  is definitely within the ballpark of his thought processes. he is also not nearly as smart as he believes he is, a notion cersei actively encourages. he might have thought "i gave the man a valyrian dagger, its so sharp, he cant fail to kill the brat." or something even pettier, "who would dare to suspect me, im the prince." like i said, stupid and a coward. seems to have gotten the worse of both his parents. cersei's ambition and ruthlessness, and his father's intelligence.

now petyr likely has plans for is ned hadnt come south, maybe something that would encourage ned to call his banners, have him go to war with the lannisters, then bealish comes to him a friend offering aid, and betrays in a similar fashion to what actually happen.

On 4/26/2017 at 1:32 PM, Lord Wraith said:

... snip

3) I think people who think Baelish is behind this are out of their minds. The logisitics make it next to impossible.

Only if you think that LF is just one person, if he was a faceless man however that would make it possible - actually quite plausible. 

I have never liked the resolution of the Bran stabbing either. I wouldn't even call it is resolution, most of the readers still didn't think it was Joff untill GRRM told us so in an interview. To me, it reads as if Joff was a later idea, that GRRM had someone else in mind. For some reason that storyline didn't work out, so he made Joff the one, being already known by the reader to be sadistic, and being killed of soon so the plotline would be dead and burried with him.

I am not sure who he originally meant to be behind it, but Littlefinger does look suspicious. Why did he lie about the dagger?

That is another thing i hate about this plot: Tyrion knows that Littlefinger implemented him. Being dragged to the Vale, spending time in the sky cells, standing trial. That was all because of Littlefinger, and Tyrion knows. So when he returns to KL, as the Hand and with his own band of wildlings, what does he do? Nothing! Tyrion who sees insults everywhere and has as prickly a pride as father does absolutely nothing about it when he sees Littlefinger. Makes no sense to me..

Varys thought the plot was all botched Lannister, and didn't get why Petyr was mixing up in it.  I don't get why he would admit to the knife if he had any involvement.  Or even why he admitted to the knife at all, unless he knew it was too distinctive to deny it.  Which makes it a stupid weapon to choose, so yeah, dumbass teen is a better candidate than slippery operator.

It felt more like a Cersei thing, tidying up loose ends, but Joffrey was a sadistic little shit, I can believe he'd take after Mommy.

1 hour ago, LordManderlyAsDragonRider said:

I have never liked the resolution of the Bran stabbing either. I wouldn't even call it is resolution, most of the readers still didn't think it was Joff untill GRRM told us so in an interview. To me, it reads as if Joff was a later idea, that GRRM had someone else in mind. For some reason that storyline didn't work out, so he made Joff the one, being already known by the reader to be sadistic, and being killed of soon so the plotline would be dead and burried with him.

I am not sure who he originally meant to be behind it, but Littlefinger does look suspicious. Why did he lie about the dagger?

"Why would Petyr lie to me?"
"Why does a bear shit in the woods?" he demanded.

1 hour ago, LordManderlyAsDragonRider said:

That is another thing i hate about this plot: Tyrion knows that Littlefinger implemented him. Being dragged to the Vale, spending time in the sky cells, standing trial. That was all because of Littlefinger, and Tyrion knows. So when he returns to KL, as the Hand and with his own band of wildlings, what does he do? Nothing! Tyrion who sees insults everywhere and has as prickly a pride as father does absolutely nothing about it when he sees Littlefinger. Makes no sense to me..

Never realized that. Good catch. Maybe he didn't want to start another fight and was tired and with a lot on his head. He had to plan the defenses of the city, the problems within KL and he so on. I don't think he had the time to start another fight and this time with a strong enemy.

Archived