Unique perspective

MostlyMoody

Hey guys. I took some time off from my usual day-to-day, which usually involves writing The Wire/Space Invaders crossfic, taking care of my cats and rampant alcoholism. I made the sacrifice to write up this post and share my unique ideas with all y'all fine folk. 
This is going to be sort of a Jon Snow/General storyline post. The two are synonymous anyway which makes my job easier but nevertheless a tiring task as I face logic and narrative structure. I will bring forward my thought process and convincing arguments to sway those few who have not yet accepted the widely confirmed canon.

Listen. I love Jon Snow, you love Jon Snow, we all love Jon Snow. Am I biased? No.
The real question is - why do people think he is not going to win the books? I considered this point for a while as I stroked the carcass of my still living cat and I came to the conclusion that is best summed up in a word - ignorance. Come on guys, we have 164 pinned theory posts for a reason, and it's a good one.
People have put their egg-heads together in think-tanks, consulting theories, drawing up trapezoids, reaching for historical and fictional references. After many whoops-a-daisies the decision was unanimous - he is the One.

At first I thought Ned Stark was going to be the main character in book one, only to be savagely slapped across the face by his beheading by that nasty, golden maned archfiend.
Then I put my sights on Robb Stark, who was younger, handsomer, cleverer version of his dad. He was about to bring the hurt on those piss-haired, incestual satanists atop his wolf mount, but then some tom-foolery happened and he was out of the story.
Anyways, Jon Snow is quite clearly the final stage of this sadistic literary trip. 

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Won't get fooled again.

R+L=J is obviously true, we can all agree on that at least. What are the implications of this, I thought as I popped a xanax. First thing that comes to mind is he is going to sit the Iron Throne, what with being the rightful heir and all. But then I went through the shredded pieces of my books and took some liberties with rearranging the paper strips. I ended up with the following sentence:
"Jon Snow became Azor Ahai reborn, as the prophecy promised and defeated the White Walkers. He married Daenerys Stormborn and together they ruled the Seven Kingdoms." 
At a first glance this seems a bit heavy-handed as far as foreshadowing goes, but those are Martins words not mine.

This all started making sense to me like a scene from Rain Man when I began recalling book passages in between bottles of Jack. Words like 'smoke', 'salt' and 'cold' started popping into my head. I haven't quite figured out their relevance yet, but I've only been looking at this for half a dozen years. 
After writing up my daily 'Reminder to write Winds of Winter' e-mail to George, It dawned on me - "Hold up. The book series is called A Song of Ice and Fire."
First I thought it had something to do with a huge all-encompassing metaphor to the events of the books with metaphysical elements, but then I realized this isn't that kind of story. Now, this is far out but hear me out anyway. Rhaegar was a Targaryen and they are associated with fire. Lyanna was a Stark and they are associated with ice. Jon can't be a song, because he is a human being (And a hunky one at that), but the song could be a metaphor for coitus between Rhaegar and Lyanna. Boom!
Last puzzle piece is Danny. She was acting a bit bitchy lately and has access to nukes but she is pretty so she must be the good gal. I could start explaining how Danny, Jon and Tyrion will be the three heads of the dragon but if I go down that rabbit hole I will be late for my psychiatrist appointment.

A criticism I have heard before is - "But Ed, the author told us the ending is going to be bittersweet. This just sounds sweet." This confused me at first but I am going to assume it has nothing to do with food. Look, the happy part is that Jon and Danny rule together happily ever after and the sad part is that other characters, other people like, will die. If that isn't 'bittersweet' then I don't know what is.

Some people will still scoff at me and my factual evidence, saying that I have marinated for 5 years, 10 months, 15 days and 13 hours, deprived of my literary dose which has made me switch to alcohol, CW shows and thinking far beyond my capacity to the point of madness. This may be true, and I am by no means a Frank Drebin when it comes to investigation, but I still think my ideas are adding something important to the conversation.

You can try to provide counter-arguments, and I am super willing to listen to them but I can't promise I will be all there while reading them.

For most of the people a bittersweet ending is their favorite character getting a relatively better ending then the other characters could die to balance the sweetness. That is a very selfish take on the bittersweet ending. They also believe Martin has to kill a lot of characters at the end to make it bittersweet because of his reputation. I don't think that is the meaning of bittersweet. IMO the meaning of bittersweet is sweetness with a bitter aftertaste. This means our heroes would all win and survive but with huge personal losses. The original draft had all the 5 main characters survive the books. I still believe that is going to happen. People who expect a bleak ending except for their favorite character are going to be disappointed for sure. 

2 hours ago, khal drogon said:

For most of the people a bittersweet ending is their favorite character getting a relatively better ending then the other characters could die to balance the sweetness. That is a very selfish take on the bittersweet ending. They also believe Martin has to kill a lot of characters at the end to make it bittersweet because of his reputation. I don't think that is the meaning of bittersweet. IMO the meaning of bittersweet is sweetness with a bitter aftertaste. This means our heroes would all win and survive but with huge personal losses. The original draft had all the 5 main characters survive the books. I still believe that is going to happen. People who expect a bleak ending except for their favorite character are going to be disappointed for sure. 

I've never looked at it that way, but selfish is my middle name, so I get that part.

Archived