So where would you live ?

33 minutes ago, Sandokan I Ironborn said:

As a random commoner, in which Westerossi city/kingdom would you settle ?

Of course you're free to imagine being a hedge knight, a wandering merchant, a simple peasant, a respectable lord, or what you want.

Probably in either Sunspear of Lannisport as these places seems so far to be removed from the war.

Guest jasonothegreat

I'd be Studying in Oldtown probably... But considering where I'm actually from I'd probably be from White Harbour. 

• 2 months later...

I'd be happy to be a 2nd/3rd/etc son of Masterly House .

Traveling around as a hedge knight/sellsword/ guard would be nice. And then I would marry some heiress - like Lollys Stokeworth - and my children would be Nobility.

I would retire to somewhere with a mountainous coast - to be able to enjoy the beach AND mountain hiking at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm  Canadian so I'd want to settle somewhere hot or warm.  The Arbor appeals to me quite a bit.  I love good food paired with good wine so it the Arbor is a perfect setting for enjoying those guilty pleasures.  I have real-life experience in the old-world trade of traditional glassblowing with specific specialized experience making wine goblets so I would seek out work where I could use those skills.  Good work, good food, good wine and the Summer Sea right there for swimming and pleasure boating.  It's even close to Oldtown for good markets and cultural activities. 

I had to do some research on this so I'll go point by point:

The North: Yuck too cold! The Starks are cool & I'd love a direwolf but just too cold.

Iron Islands: Ugh! Who'd live here?!  Rodrik seems cool but the rest of the people look like they suck!

The Vale: I could see liking it if you like hiking but I don't. Plus this place is dangerous w/all those mountain clans.

Riverlands: Now we're getting somewhere closer to being decent! It seems not too hot, not too cold...overall comfortable.

Westerlands: For some reason it doesn't appeal to me. Maybe it's the Lannisters' presence.

The Reach: This REALLY appeals to me. This is in the perfect location and it seems anything you do you'd benefit from. I love fruit as well so this seems near perfect. Plus you can travel anywhere and Dornish women have it going on so it'd be nice to be close to that :D. The Citadel's cool too so that's another option I guess lol.

I'm going to pass on the Stormlands and Crownlands.

Dorne: Dorne's cool but I'd only want to live here if I was a Martell. I'd be hanging out at the Water Gardens all day w/some high grade SPF (lol) and endless fruit. I wouldn't live here as a commoner though, too brutal as far the weather goes.

I'm not going to go all over Essos but Braavos seems pretty tight. Getting a job at the IBB might be cool.

So, The Reach is my pick.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be an apothecary in Braavos. Braavos seems a right place to run a business, no annoying feudal lords, no slavery... And an apothecary should have ample opportunity to dabble in alchemy or even chemistry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, hard call. If you had said "anywhere", I definitely answer Braavos.

Westeros is harder for me. I'd say Dorne but  loathe the heat. Maybe in the Red Mountains, aka Stony Dornish; I look the part. Hopefully it is cooler there.  :) Since I prefer cooler climates, I'd go for Bear Island, but that's a tad too cool and I am no warrior.  So... White Harbour? Next to a roaring fire, and surrounded by books. I will, however, lay off the pies when Wyman Manderly is serving.  ;)

• 1 month later...

A family in the Vale, where I have a respectable job in the security of the Eyrie (kennelmaster for the Arryns preferably).

However, what my wife doesn't know, is that my frequent travels in West- and Esteros do not actually serve the purpose of visiting dog shows. In my secret life, I'm a faceless man, and that's how I pay for extensive stays in Littlefinger's private clubs on the way to and from a job.

Winter town, or better yet, Winterfell if possible. I only feel comfortable in cold weather, spring and especially summer is very hard on me due to hot weather or even temperatures most people will feel normal. However I also like a hot shower, and I mean really hot, so hot that it would make your skin pink so Winterfell's pools for me.

Archived