Gamergaters Please attempt to claim this isn't objectification

Ser Scot A Ellison

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

This is such a stupidly ridiculous critique.  What restrictions are you talking about?  What taboos?  Who is doing the critiquing?  Why have these contributed to characters having zero personality, and how does that contrast to them being more objectified?

As-is, the above comment is completely meaningless.

Why are you asking questions after you called it ridiculously stupid. That's making your opinion pretty clear on it.

44 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

The same way anything is when that term gets thrown out there. I wasn't being serious but historically anime certainly fits the criteria for many other things I see getting labeled as cultural appropriation 

That doesn't tell me how anime is an example of cultural appropriation.

3 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Why are you asking questions after you called it ridiculously stupid. That's making your opinion pretty clear on it.

I figured you'd want to clear it up.  Obviously you do not and instead want to state some obtuse opinion as fact.

I should really know better, carry on.

1 minute ago, aceluby said:

I figured you'd want to clear it up.  Obviously you do not and instead want to state some obtuse opinion as fact.

I should really know better, carry on.

Nah it's still a fact I just don't feel like indulging you right now when you obviously have ZERO intent on a discussion. You clearly just want to throw shit out like "that's ridiculously stupid". You want a fight, not clarification. No thank you.

3 minutes ago, Hello World said:

This thread is shaping up to become a bigger shipwreck than gamergate.

Ftfy

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can't speak for anime exactly, but the manga that they were greatly inspired by were in turn inspired by American comic books. 

Hey, thanks for an actual answer!  

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Can't speak for anime exactly, but the manga that they were greatly inspired by were in turn inspired by American comic books. 

Also the anime genre as it exists today came about in the direct aftermath of the nuclear bombs on Japan. Why all the characters look like the race that nuked them is still a mystery to me.

Because Japanese, and Asian Asians in general consider whites to be superior in terms of looks to everyone else.

So the ships are supposed to represent women? I thought they were just regular ships at first with minds Banks style. But what if that universe doesn't have women and the ships are the females of the species? (Not saying that ships can only have two genders...) Would someone from that universe say that we objectify our ships by making them humans for men to marry?:huh:

49 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Whatever side that complained about female video game characters won big time, they should stop complaining. 

Video games now have FAR more restrictions and taboos for what they are allowed to do with a female character than ANY other entertainment medium and it's not even close.

The results of those campaigns have left us nothing but boring and lifeless female video game characters with zero personality. But hey, the complainers got what they wanted, victory on them.

Funny how the complaint is that the characters are lifeless and devoid of personality that is not solely sex appeal. Of course, that hasn't changed, because nobody seems to have figured out that women, much like men, can be written to have personalities and motivations that have nothing at all to do with sexuality. Any male character could be just as easily written as a female character. We women are regular people, it is no more or less difficult to write an interesting and dynamic character based on gender. If there isn't variety coming out of game developers, that's on them and nobody else.

28 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's like a big cultural appropriation snake, eating it's own tail.

Just now, Swordfish said:

It's like a big cultural appropriation snake, eating it's own tail.

Yeah, kinda sorta. It's a bit like the Kurosawa Samurai flicks being inspired by Hollywood Westerns, which then inspired Spaghetti Westerns. It's kind of hard to tell where one ends and where the next begins.

13 minutes ago, Kelli Fury said:

Funny how the complaint is that the characters are lifeless and devoid of personality that is not solely sex appeal. Of course, that hasn't changed, because nobody seems to have figured out that women, much like men, can be written to have personalities and motivations that have nothing at all to do with sexuality. Any male character could be just as easily written as a female character. We women are regular people, it is no more or less difficult to write an interesting and dynamic character based on gender. If there isn't variety coming out of game developers, that's on them and nobody else.

Only that female sexuality is only part of the complaining. EVERY SINGLE aspect of any female character is up for scrutinity and no matter what the devs did it was met with complaints. There's just a default way to do it that no matter what you can make a case that the character was created by woman hating sexists. 

A - male character is mean to female character = the creators hate women and want to abuse them.

B - male character is nice to female character = the creators view women as helpless and treat female characters in a condescending manner.

A - non aggressive/fighting female character = treating women as inferior 

B - aggressive fighting female character = portraying women as evil bitches.

The only way to evade that catch all type of criticism is to make bland characters with no personality, and people STILL complain.

2 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, kinda sorta. It's a bit like the Kurosawa Samurai flicks being inspired by Hollywood Westerns, which then inspired Spaghetti Westerns. It's kind of hard to tell where one ends and where the next begins.

It's turtles, all the way down.

Archived