What do the Ironborn do?

Adam Targaryen

What do all of the Ironborn lords do all day? Since the Conquest, as far as I understand, they have mostly been forbidden to raid the other kingdoms of Westeros, although they have tried it a few times. The Ironborn lords are all warriors, reavers and rapers as they constantly pride themselves - but on what merits? Sure, a couple of them were active during the Greyjoy Rebellion and some of the older men - like Erik Ironmaker - might have done things in their youth - but besides that there haven't really been any chances of plundering around Westeros from what I understand. I don't think they plunder around Essos or the Summer Isles either, but I could possibly be wrong. So how can the Ironborn lords be considered - and, perhaps more importantly, consider themselves - seafaring warriors, killers and reavers if they haven't done any reaving in their days? And what do the Ironborn lords do all day? Are they out sailing without the reaving part? Do they fight and kill eachother on a regular basis over quarrels (or maybe simply because they like it)? Do they just sit in their halls drinking and reminiscing about the Old Way, which most of them haven't experienced at all apart from one or two wars?

Archived