Why do Robb, Sansa, Brandon, and Rickon...

KarlDanski

On 4/26/2017 at 3:58 PM, KarlDanski said:

take more after their mother than father in looks? I understand genetics aren't as clear cut as it is with Baratheon/Durrandon where every true born one is black of hair, and blue of eye, but still. While grey eyes like the Starks have is less dominant than the Tully Blue, why is the Tully Red Auburn hair more dominant than the traditionally dominant Stark Black? Out of the five trueborn Stark children, only one has the Stark features while everyone else is basically a Tully, not meaning to sound like I'm bashing the Tully's who are my 2nd favorite Riverlands house. Robb Stark looks more Tully than Stark along with Sansa, Brandon, and Rickon while Arya who is compared to Jon in looks is the only one with dominant Stark features, like the grey eyes and black hair. The only other major Stark that married outside of the North was Cregan Stark to Aly Blackwood so maybe Andal genes are more dominant than First Men, but still. Just wondering if anyone had any clues to why this would be.

PS: This is more tin foily, but you get from Ned Stark's personality that he isn't a dominant person compared to his brother Brandon. Would this of transferred over to if Brandon had married Catelyn? Would the Stark children of then had the traditional stark look? 

The point of the stark look is plot, Specifically Jon and Arya have the Stark look. the other kids, do not. This serves to hide Jon's parentage, and hint at it, as in he looks like Arya and Arya looks like Ned's sister  

On April 27, 2017 at 7:41 PM, LynnS said:

Most grey eyes appear to have some blue light scattering, so I'm not sure if Jon's eyes are a pure dark grey or slate blue, a dark bluish-grey color.   Who can tell how magical genes work when someone can have purple eyes.

actually, its really dark grey. so dark that it borders black:

"Jon has the long face of the Starks, with dark, brown hair and grey eyes so dark they almost seem black.-(this quote is from the asoiaf wiki http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but i think Rhaegar also had dark indigo eyes that bordered black.

Yes I believe you're right, Rhaegar's eyes were described in a similar way to Jon's.

8 hours ago, Dorian Martell's son said:

The point of the stark look is plot, Specifically Jon and Arya have the Stark look. the other kids, do not. This serves to hide Jon's parentage, and hint at it, as in he looks like Arya and Arya looks like Ned's sister  

Exactly. Jon is no doubt a Stark because of his resemblance to Ned, and he looks like Arya, who is noted to resemble Lyanna. The connection is there for a reason (if you believe R+L=J). And there was no need for any of the other Tully-Starks kids to take after Ned - they had their direwolves, nobody would ever doubt they were truly from the North.

Archived