Children of Noble Houses

10 hours ago, HallowedMarcus said:

The Lord of House Lanister is called and is The Warden of the West. His wife is called Lady Lannister. The other are called lordlings of XXXXXX Lannister.

"lordling" is just an insult, not a real title.

A lord's daughters are usually called "Lady [first name]". Sansa tends to be called "Lady Sansa" or "Lady Sansa Stark" but I've never come across an instance of her being called "Lady Stark", which is her mother's title. 

Sons don't seem to have any official title. They will be called "ser" if they are knights. Sons who aren't knights might be called "Lord [first name]" out of courtesy. I believe we've seen a few instances of "Lord Tyrion" etc, and also "my lord of Lannister" (but not "Lord Lannister", which would be reserved for Tywin, even though people do tend to call him "Lord Tywin"). 

Guest jasonothegreat

In actual British history, a Lord's son would be called "Master". Until they're an adult that is, which then leads to them being called Lord

On 27/4/2017 at 3:33 PM, rmanoj said:

A lord's daughters are usually called "Lady [first name]". Sansa tends to be called "Lady Sansa" or "Lady Sansa Stark" but I've never come across an instance of her being called "Lady Stark", which is her mother's title. 

Sons don't seem to have any official title. They will be called "ser" if they are knights. Sons who aren't knights might be called "Lord [first name]" out of courtesy. I believe we've seen a few instances of "Lord Tyrion" etc, and also "my lord of Lannister" (but not "Lord Lannister", which would be reserved for Tywin, even though people do tend to call him "Lord Tywin"). 

Yeah, sons of lords who aren't knights seem to be given the same treatment as the daughters. Not only there are numerous mentions of "Lord Tyrion", but there's also one instance of a "Lord Robb" before Eddard's death.

• 5 weeks later...

In British history the great lords would have been Dukes and the next level down Earls and the rest just Lords or landed knights.

Obviously Dorn are still called Prince and Princess. Tywin, Ned, and Jon would have been Dukes and their children referred to as Lord/Lady. Tully  and Tyrell would probably have been Earls. Stanis and Renley would have been Dukes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4.6.2017 at 9:28 AM, Luddagain said:

In British history the great lords would have been Dukes and the next level down Earls and the rest just Lords

Not before 15th century.

The first Duke in England was Duke of Cornwall. And it was a honour restricted to immediate royal family - sons of Edward III - till Richard II´s favourite, Robert de Vere, was made Duke of Ireland, for life only, and did not get to keep the title for life. Until 1337, the greatest lords, and royal family members, were just Earls.

On 6/4/2017 at 2:28 AM, Luddagain said:

In British history the great lords would have been Dukes and the next level down Earls and the rest just Lords or landed knights.

Obviously Dorn are still called Prince and Princess. Tywin, Ned, and Jon would have been Dukes and their children referred to as Lord/Lady. Tully  and Tyrell would probably have been Earls. Stanis and Renley would have been Dukes.

Per my post earlier, wouldn't Tyrell be a Duke, as among his titles is Warden of the South?

Archived