NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

12 hours ago, Jaime L said:

But align him with other young stars and that has promise.  If he signed with Milwaukee or Minnesota, that'd be fun as hell. But if I could choose, would love to see him sign with San Antonio. I mean how badly does he want to finally beat the Warriors? That's the only place that'd give him a real chance.  

Honestly I can't see it working for either the Wolves or the Bucks. Both teams have a PG they like and a young star that needs to learn how to lead a team. Bringing in Paul could hurt that development.

I do like the idea of him going to the Spurs though. 

He could go back to New Orleans.  I know it's not going to happen, but the Big Three of Davis/Paul/Cousins would be awesome.  Would either succeed spectacularly or fail spectacularly, but either way it would be epic.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Both teams have a PG they like and a young star that needs to learn how to lead a team. Bringing in Paul could hurt that development.

Who do the Wolves have at PH? Rubio? The guy they almost traded for Rose? Wolves would SHIT themselves at a chance to land CP3.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

CP3 to the Knicks ! 

being the utterly shit organization that the KNicks are they won't have enough money to sign a max guy this off season. buthey, at least we get to pay Joakim "The Walking Corpse" Noah 20 mil a year for three more years.  

19 minutes ago, Relic said:

Who do the Wolves have at PH? Rubio? The guy they almost traded for Rose? Wolves would SHIT themselves at a chance to land CP3.

Rubio, Dunn and Jones. I good with that group. And the larger point is you want it to be Towns' team. Bring in CP3 would disrupt that. 

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rubio, Dunn and Jones. I good with that group. And the larger point is you want it to be Towns' team. Bring in CP3 would disrupt that. 

Rubio can't shoot. Who knows if Dunn can play. Have no idea who Jones is.

Paul's past his prime - there's no question it'd be Towns' team. Not to mention it's anathema to Paul to be his team's #1 scoring option. And have to think Towns would benefit immeasurably with a PG who could simultaneously get him the ball consistently (which Dunn can't) and provide floor spacing (which Rubio can't). And maybe accelerate the playoff window of a team that still only won 31 games last year, in a season where most had the T'Wolves making the playoffs.  

It's a moot point - it'll never happen. But just want to point it's a little weird to me to see a fan of a team who hasn't made the playoffs in a decade not be interested in the greatest PG of this generation. :P  

3 hours ago, sperry said:

Yeah, Dwight never seemed to be able to deal with the inevitable backlash after being popular. It happens every time someone gets really famous, really quickly. You go from being able to do no wrong to having every little thing dissected. The thing with Dwight was that the game changed. He was never a truly dominant offensive player. His strength was just shutting down opposing big men. Well, now there aren't opposing big men. His impact has been diminished due to the position he plays, and a guy like him is never going to be able to elevate a team to the top of the league again, at least with out major rule and or style changes in the league.

I think it was more that injuries started sapping his athleticism, and once that started to deteriorate he just didn't have the actual basketball skill to fall back on like a guy like LeBron does.  Dwight's dominance relied almost entirely on his athleticism, and the fact that he had an absolutely perfect team around him in Orlando to cover for his weaknesses.  Also, Lewis being on steroids probably didn't hurt either, especially since the NBA just ignored it and let him play in the playoffs, not suspending him until the following season.

16 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

And as bad of a shooter as Rubio is, he's still a way better shooter than Dunn. Even if you only count Rubios rookie year.

He's definitely got a LONG way to go in every area of offensive competence. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Rubio can't shoot. Who knows if Dunn can play. Have no idea who Jones is.

Rubio actually had a much better year shooting wise than people think. The question is whether or not he can he sustain it.

Jones is the PG that lead Duke to the National Championship a couple years ago, and was by far the best player in the Summer League. 

Paul's past his prime - there's no question it'd be Towns' team. Not to mention it's anathema to Paul to be his team's #1 scoring option. And have to think Towns would benefit immeasurably with a PG who could simultaneously get him the ball consistently (which Dunn can't) and provide floor spacing (which Rubio can't). And maybe accelerate the playoff window of a team that still only won 31 games last year, in a season where most had the T'Wolves making the playoffs.  

Paul would be the number three scoring option, but that wasn't my point. I think he'd take over the locker room. I want Towns to do that. Paul would make the team better, no doubt, but I'm not sure by how much, and I don't want to disrupt the team's core. 

It's a moot point - it'll never happen. But just want to point it's a little weird to me to see a fan of a team who hasn't made the playoffs in a decade not be interested in the greatest PG of this generation. :P  

Greatest? I'm not so sure about that. He's the best floor general, but he's not better than Ste[h or Russ.

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

Idk Paul MIGHT be willing to take a paycut at this point in his career. There have been rumblings for years that Melo and CP3 would team up since they are supposedly something like BFFs

Why would anyone want to play in a triangle system, and for a team prez who calls 3's "cheap points"? 

If they play together it will in LA. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Greatest? I'm not so sure about that. He's the best floor general, but he's not better than Ste[h or Russ.

I meant more that he was the best from when Nash started fading in like 2008-2009 until Steph surpassed him in 2015. He still probably is the best pure PG in the game - either him or Wall. Shoot first guys like Westbrook, Curry and Harden feel like SGs to me even though they clearly play PG and have primary ball-handling duties. 

I'm still old school in my preference for traditional PGs but have to admit this era allows little guys to be dominant scorers in a way we've never seen before. And both Paul and Wall could stand to look for their own shot more. 

Paul definately outshined all his peers that were drafted around the same time as he was. They were the class that coined the phrase "golden age of point guards"

Anybody remember when the debate was - Who is the best pg in the league, Deron Williams or Chris Paul?

I just read that Paul has the played in the most playoff games of any player to never make it past the 2nd round.

49 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I meant more that he was the best from when Nash started fading in like 2008-2009 until Steph surpassed him in 2015. He still probably is the best pure PG in the game - either him or Wall. Shoot first guys like Westbrook, Curry and Harden feel like SGs to me even though they clearly play PG and have primary ball-handling duties. 

I'm still old school in my preference for traditional PGs but have to admit this era allows little guys to be dominant scorers in a way we've never seen before. And both Paul and Wall could stand to look for their own shot more. 

Fair enough.

Also, when you're having a disagreement with another person about "who is better, X or Y?", you don't fall back with nuance, you turn it up to 11 and savage them! 

Archived