NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

20 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

The Jazz are good, I think the Clips still lose with Griffin. To me it looked like the two best players on the court in this series were on the Jazz with Chris Paul being a distant 3rd.

They both went 51 - 31 in the regular season. (Also the Cavs and Raptors both went 51 - 31 this season) Which is only 4 games behind the Rockets 55 wins. 

No, Dundermifflin, the Clips would not have lost if they had had Griffin. They are markedly short of options without him.

They were also leading the series 2-1 before he went out. Which is not definitive evidence, but certainly some evidence of them being better than the Jazz at that point, with Griffin.

As for the regular season, Griffin missed a big chunk of the season, and then Chris Paul did. Even though the Jazz had injuries as well, they did not suffer the loss of star power to the degree the Clippers did, and of course the Clippers are much more reliant on those star players anyway, and this greatly affects the regular season tally. The team revolves around Griffin and Paul, whereas Utah is much more team based and less on individual quality. Because they don't have such stars.

Finally I'll disagree with your idea that Chris Paul was the 3rd best player in the series behind two Utah Jazz players. I'm not even sure who that second player is supposed to be, assuming Hayward is one of the other two. Gobert I suppose. They were not better than Paul. Don't lose sight of the fact that the Clippers were pretty damn poor, and yet so was Utah. They lost twice at home to that poor Clippers team, even when that team missed Griffin.

They are going to get destroyed by Golden State and to that I say, good riddance. What a boring team.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I dont think anyone should be surprized at Utah advancing. 

Surprising it is not, but they were still the underdogs and would have lost if not for the loss of Griffin. To give you an idea of what people expected, according to the panel of experts at ESPN, SB Nation, Bleacher Report and 3 other sites I checked, Clippers were voted favorite to go through over Utah. Those same experts also predicted wins for the Wizards and Raptors.

Blake Griffin isn't even that good. He was never a superstar, he was star level at his best and looks to rapidly be declining to role player status. He had nothing to do with the game 3 win, they were getting their ass kicked even before he got hurt and Chris Paul pretty much singlehandedly led a comeback. Also Rudy Gobert the probable defensive player of the year was out for the first 3 games of the series.

I said Jazz were underrated and on the rise many times even before the playoffs started. Underrated is different than mediocre.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... that whole thing I said about the Spurs being a tough match up and blah blah blah... forget I said anything.

:stunned: 

Spurs are a one man team really. LMA is garbage.

45 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Blake Griffin isn't even that good. He was never a superstar, he was star level at his best and looks to rapidly be declining to role player status. He had nothing to do with the game 3 win, they were getting their ass kicked even before he got hurt and Chris Paul pretty much singlehandedly led a comeback. Also Rudy Gobert the probable defensive player of the year was out for the first 3 games of the series.

I said Jazz were underrated and on the rise many times even before the playoffs started. Underrated is different than mediocre.

Blake did finish third in MVP voting for 13/14 year behind Durant and LeBron.

16 minutes ago, Tinker said:

Blake did finish third in MVP voting for 13/14 year behind Durant and LeBron.

Well regardless of how valid it may have been when he was once regarded as a superstar. He didn't give a superstar performance this year, he was still good though. I thought Clippers were going to win the series too but I knew the Jazz were far from some mediocre chump team. I watched every game of the series and looking back I don't think Blake would have been enough to push them over the edge.

I mean 50 wins (in the Western Conference at that) is nothing you can luck into.

That was the best the Rockets have looked all postseason. It was also the worst I've seen the Spurs play in 20 years. Will be interesting to see if that was an anomaly, or if the Spurs really are done. That Aldridge contract is starting to look terrifying though. Don't think competing for a title is in the cards if they are paying $22 million to be a liabililty. And he's in his 11th year in the league, he's not getting any younger.

13 minutes ago, sperry said:

That was the best the Rockets have looked all postseason. It was also the worst I've seen the Spurs play in 20 years. Will be interesting to see if that was an anomaly, or if the Spurs really are done. That Aldridge contract is starting to look terrifying though. Don't think competing for a title is in the cards if they are paying $22 million to be a liabililty. And he's in his 11th year in the league, he's not getting any younger.

Yup. I wouldn't read too much into a one game sample. That said, the Spurs might struggle with the Rockets' pace of play. 

The Spurs outside of Kawhi didn't look all that good against Memphis either. It's just that Memphis isn't all that great these days and they missed the only player on their roster who could slow down Kawhi so the Spurs were able to go through on the back of Kawhi's incredible performance. But if Kawhi has an off night, they are in trouble because LMA has been missing in action so far and their ball movement is nowhere near as good as it used to be back in 2013 and 2014.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yup. I wouldn't read too much into a one game sample. That said, the Spurs might struggle with the Rockets' pace of play. 

I agree in general, but what is terrifying is that Aldridge looks old and done. And he looked old and done in the Memphis series. That's not a problem that the Spurs can overcome.

3 hours ago, David Selig said:

The Spurs outside of Kawhi didn't look all that good against Memphis either. It's just that Memphis isn't all that great these days and they missed the only player on their roster who could slow down Kawhi so the Spurs were able to go through on the back of Kawhi's incredible performance. But if Kawhi has an off night, they are in trouble because LMA has been missing in action so far and their ball movement is nowhere near as good as it used to be back in 2013 and 2014.

It really is a one man team at this point. LMA is among the softest 4's I've seen in the playoffs. Can't even abuse Ryan Anderson. The rest of the Spurs roster now looks like an endless menagerie of "has beens" and "never weres". There doesn't even seem to be a Boris Diaw swiss-army knife type guy on this roster. It's definitely system over individual talent because there is no individual talent. 

If this were a pickup game, you'd go Kawhi and then like 5-6 Rockets before sighing deeply and going LMA or even Parker. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

It really is a one man team at this point. LMA is among the softest 4's I've seen in the playoffs. Can't even abuse Ryan Anderson. The rest of the Spurs roster now looks like an endless menagerie of "has beens" and "never weres". There doesn't even seem to be a Boris Diaw swiss-army knife type guy on this roster. It's definitely system over individual talent because there is no individual talent. 

If this were a pickup game, you'd go Kawhi and then like 5-6 Rockets before sighing deeply and going LMA or even Parker. 

Eh, it was an impressive win for the Rockets, but if I had to bet I'd say this is a one off. This is Popovich  we're talking about. He'll get his team back on track.

10 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I guess this is why I couldn't be a coach because if I coached the Spurs right now my strategy would be - let's hope they miss more 3s- Houston shot 50 the pointers in game 1

They set a franchise record,  so... Probably won't do it again? 

Archived