NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

33 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Eh, it was an impressive win for the Rockets, but if I had to bet I'd say this is a one off. This is Popovich  we're talking about. He'll get his team back on track.

I bet the Spurs play better in game 2 and they'll likely win a couple games in this series, but I don't see how they win 4. The athleticism and shooting advantage the Rockets have is palpable and immediately apparent when you turn the game on. Feels a little like when the Spurs faced the 2012 Thunder. 

Kawhi's a lockdown defender but he can only defend 1 of the 4 or 5 three point shooters the Rockets throw out there. And who else is going to help Kawhi with the offensive load? The 1 game in 5 where Parker looks like his former self? If I was a Spurs fan, not sure what I'd lean on for hope here. 

5 hours ago, sperry said:

I agree in general, but what is terrifying is that Aldridge looks old and done. And he looked old and done in the Memphis series. That's not a problem that the Spurs can overcome.

Yeah, it surprised me how bad he looked. 

There was a short stretch in the game that really stood out to me. Each team had four possessions and they couldn't have been more different. The Spurs used most of the clock and struggled to get a good shot off if someone other than Leonard had the ball last (I believe they went 1/5 in that sequence). Meanwhile, the Rockets were pushing the ball up the court so fast and got three easy buckets at the rim in no time and made one three. And that was happening all game long. If that persists  the Spurs are in trouble. 

That said, the Rockets are a hard team to trust. They don't play any defense (yet they were great on that end last night) and they can be really streaky shooting the ball. Their ceiling is the second best team in the league both their floor is barely top ten. You never know what they're going to give you night in and night out. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

They set a franchise record,  so... Probably won't do it again? 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-break-single-season-nba-3-point-record-but-how-long-will-it-last/

They average over 40 a game, so it could easily happen again, and even if they revert back to their average attempts and makes, they still would have won last night's game. 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, it surprised me how bad he looked. 

There was a short stretch in the game that really stood out to me. Each team had four possessions and they couldn't have been more different. The Spurs used most of the clock and struggled to get a good shot off if someone other than Leonard had the ball last (I believe they went 1/5 in that sequence). Meanwhile, the Rockets were pushing the ball up the court so fast and got three easy buckets at the rim in no time and made one three. And that was happening all game long. If that persists  the Spurs are in trouble. 

That said, the Rockets are a hard team to trust. They don't play any defense (yet they were great on that end last night) and they can be really streaky shooting the ball. Their ceiling is the second best team in the league both their floor is barely top ten. You never know what they're going to give you night in and night out. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/rockets-break-single-season-nba-3-point-record-but-how-long-will-it-last/

They average over 40 a game, so it could easily happen again, and even if they revert back to their average attempts and makes, they still would have won last night's game. 

I agree. I'm not sold on the Rockets, but I think I'm even less sold on the Spurs. I'm thinking the WFC are going to be an absolute joke though.

John Wall playing amazing. Bradley Beal playing like hot garbage. Still a pretty damn entertaining game. 

Boston having multiple elite perimeter defenders (Smart, Bradley, Crowder) is something the Wizards should look into some decade. 

39 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

John Wall playing amazing. Bradley Beal playing like hot garbage. Still a pretty damn entertaining game. 

Boston having multiple elite perimeter defenders (Smart, Bradley, Crowder) is something the Wizards should look into some decade. 

And it looks like Markieff Morris has made a Bealesque recovery from his injury. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And it looks like Markieff Morris has made a Bealesque recovery from his injury. 

Didja see him throw Horford into the crowd on like the first play? He might have come back as a straight Other. 

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Didja see him throw Horford into the crowd on like the first play? He might have come back as a straight Other. 

Just got home from work about 20 minutes ago, so I missed that bit. Just happy to see the Wiz are still keeping a Necromancer on the payroll.

What a fucking shame. Wall got tired for carrying the entire load for 4 quarters. Couldn't continue to duel I.T. late on fumes. And the Wizards ball movement just stopped completely. This one's on Scotty Brooks. Still helluva 40/13. 

Oh and Isaiah Thomas is amazing. 53 points, are you kidding me? Dude could not miss in the 4th quarter and OT. Has maybe the best touch of anyone outside of the Splash Brothers. 

Wizards gonna be haunted by this one. 

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Hats off to Thomas for hitting that and-1, but that had to be the tickiest of ticky-tack fouls I've ever seen in that big a situation. And for Morris's 6th on top of that? Crappy call.

Agreed. 

I thought they called a lot of weird fouls on Thomas.  It's almost like the smaller you are the more benefit of the doubt the refs will give you.  Jumping backwards and sideways so that you run into the defenders chest/shoulder/face should not be a foul, and I think all three were called at different points. 

Weirdly that maybe the biggest call against the Wizards was actually a foul called on the Celtics.  Early in the 4th, Wiz up 7, Wall is getting rest and the other Wizards actually do something right with a good drive and kick for a 3.  Ten point lead!  But the 3 is waved off because of really minimal contact to call a blocking foul on the drive?  The Wizards then inbound the ball, look terrible and do not score.  Celtics then score on the other end and Wall is brought back in with only a 5 point lead.  Very strange sequence. 

Not trying to blame the refs for the loss.  If the Wizards could just secure the rebounds down the stretch, they wouldn't have had to worry about overtime.  Shame that the Wizards couldn't pull this one out, probably not much hope of winning 4 of the next 5. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

If the Wizards could just secure the rebounds down the stretch, they wouldn't have had to worry about overtime. 

Or if both Wall and Beal hadn't front rimmed the last two shots in the 4th quarter. 

Thomas tho. Amazing performance. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

I thought they called a lot of weird fouls on Thomas.  It's almost like the smaller you are the more benefit of the doubt the refs will give you.  Jumping backwards and sideways so that you run into the defenders chest/shoulder/face should not be a foul, and I think all three were called at different points. 

There was one moment where Beal was trying to get open around a Gortat pick but Thomas was blatantly holding him for 2-3 seconds, not letting him get free. Then as he does slip free and Thomas collides with Gortat and falls down. Foul on Gortat..nothing on Thomas. It's good to be a 5'7" superstar - just the treatment felt ridiculously out of place in an insanely physical game 2. 

Think there was clear home-cooking - it's the NBA after all - just expect the Wizards to get the same in games 3/4. 

8 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

There was one moment where Beal was trying to get open around a Gortat pick but Thomas was blatantly holding him for 2-3 seconds, not letting him get free. Then as he does slip free and Thomas collides with Gortat and falls down. Foul on Gortat..nothing on Thomas. It's good to be a 5'7" superstar - just the treatment felt ridiculously out of place in an insanely physical game 2. 

Think there was clear home-cooking - it's the NBA after all - just expect the Wizards to get the same in games 3/4. 

The Celtics were holding Beal and Porter as they went around screens all game.  It's possible the Wizards were doing it too and I just wasn't seeing it, but it got pretty ridiculous by game's end. 

Archived