NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Spurs looking more like their former selves with a ten point lead at the half. 

Wasn't able to watch Spurs-Rockets but pretty surprised by this score. What happened Manhole? I do see Kawhi put up 34 points (on 16 shots), 7 boards, 8 assists, 3 steals (only 2 turnovers) which is pretty absurd.

Regardless trying to think of a series that started with alternating blowouts like this one. 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Wasn't able to watch Spurs-Rockets but pretty surprised by this score. What happened Manhole? I do see Kawhi put up 34 points (on 16 shots), 7 boards, 8 assists, 3 steals (only 2 turnovers) which is pretty absurd.

Regardless trying to think of a series that started with alternating blowouts like this one. 

Mostly Harden being ice cold (in part because Kawhi was on him more often than not) and the ticky-tack foul calls have been at a minimum. Parker played really well before he went down and Jonathan Simmons has given the Spurs some nice energy off the bench. Spurs D looks like it's back on track. All that and perhaps a bit of home cooking as far as the calls go.

14 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Ummm, yea, I think the Cavs aren't going to have to worry about being wore out come the Finals. When will people learn that the King is not only one of the greatest athletes we've ever seen, but maybe has one of the higher BBall IQ's. He's learned to conserve himself for what matters, the playoffs.

Agreed.

His IQ and anticipation are even more impressive than his athletic abilities IMO. Paired together they are unstoppable. He sees the floor as well as or even better than Magic  

What's gotten lost in the weird regular season for the Cavs is the fact that LeBron has been better this year than he's been at any point with Cleveland. This may be the best he's shot the ball from the outside in his career 

31 minutes ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

Agreed.

His IQ and anticipation are even more impressive than his athletic abilities IMO. Paired together they are unstoppable. He sees the floor as well as or even better than Magic  

What's gotten lost in the weird regular season for the Cavs is the fact that LeBron has been better this year than he's been at any point with Cleveland. This may be the best he's shot the ball from the outside in his career 

And, it'll only get better with age. James feels like he's 39, he's 32. Right now Jordan was on his Baseball hiatus (iirc). So, Jordan has won 3 out of 3 and LeBron has been to 6 straight winning 3. LeBron will always be compared to Jordan, which is unfair because they're two completely different ballers. Anyway, my point is, LeBron has a lot of basketball left. And, I don't expect him to slow down anytime soon, just adapt. Again, as he ages, his BBall IQ will keep him up there with the rising stars. And, he'll always have people wanting to chase rings with him. 

They are playing just as well as GS right now. But, I will tell you, I'm excited to see them square off again, I hope. Will Dubs be affected by what LeBron did to them? Can the Dubs fix guarding Kyrie? Or, is adding KD just too much fire-power? Very tantalizing. I am a fan of LeBron (as I've said many times I follow players not teams, I have no allegiancehere in WV), but I also love the beauty of watching the Dubs. This can really turn into an all-time great rivalry.

The Cavs do seem to be flipping a switch here, but barring injury I'm thinking it's looking like revenge time for the Warriors. A healthy Steph changes everything on the offensive end. He's getting deep into the paint and finishing well, which is something he was not doing in the last two series last year. 

That said, we are kind of counting our chickens here. I think both teams are likely to be challenged in their respective Conference Finals series.  

35 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

The Cavs do seem to be flipping a switch here, but barring injury I'm thinking it's looking like revenge time for the Warriors. A healthy Steph changes everything on the offensive end. He's getting deep into the paint and finishing well, which is something he was not doing in the last two series last year. 

That said, we are kind of counting our chickens here. I think both teams are likely to be challenged in their respective Conference Finals series.  

Agree. But it feels inevitable.

If you're a Warriors fan which team are you more concerned about, San Antonio or Houston? 

Ditto if you're a Cavs fan: Washington or Boston?

Going into the playoffs I'd have said the Wizards match up better with Cleveland, but the way Boston has begun to hit outside shots, I'm inclined to lean toward them

14 minutes ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

If you're a Warriors fan which team are you more concerned about, San Antonio or Houston? 

Going into the playoffs I'd have said the Wizards match up better with Cleveland, but the way Boston has begun to hit outside shots, I'm inclined to lean toward them

Yeah increasingly I believe the Wizards only look threatening but that the substance isn't there. The starting 5 can match up against anyone in the league but they've had OKC-like bench production when John Wall leaves the game. And even their best players are too often lazy or unfocused in making all the necessary rotations for team defense. This team is incapable of holding a lead even against mediocre offensive teams like Atlanta. Would love to be proven wrong starting tonight but through 8 postseason games there's been some definite trends. 

At least Boston has some very good perimeter defenders and a PG capable of putting up 50+. Not that I think they'd seriously challenge Cleveland but at least there's a couple things they can hang their hat on.  

Also agree with Manhole that Houston would be more dangerous to GS than SA. They're the variance all-stars. Sure they play terrible some games but that's irrelevant against GS. I think for any team in the West, they only beat GS if they play amazing. It doesn't matter if their performances ranges anywhere from awful to pretty good...they're losing regardless. And Houston has the highest ceiling to play really great. 

45 minutes ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

Neither for both. Whoever the Warriors face, they'll have four of the five best players and the Cavs will have three of the best four.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Neither for both. Whoever the Warriors face, they'll have four of the five best players and the Cavs will have three of the best four.

Bradley Beal has been buried before! 

I really hope Toronto shows the fuck up at home. At least take one. 

I'm just so damn sick of LeBron in every ECF. Seems like he's a lock for 2018 as well. I've pretty much entirely checked out on this postseason. I guess I'm rooting for Boston?  I just have a hard time seeing anyone taking two games from CLE or GSW til the final. Barf.

3 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm just so damn sick of LeBron in every ECF. 

You and every opposing GM in the East. Personally  I think it's neat. Watching a Legend, live. 

I grew up on the other side, as a Bulls fan, never knowing the crappy feeling of having this unbeatable beast in my conference for so long. 

That said. I disagree with you. I am a huge NBA playoff fan. Knowing that Warriors Cavs was inevitable a year ago, and almost certain to happen yet again next year, just sucks. I'm watching tons of hockey. I don't know a damn thing about hockey.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

You and every opposing GM in the East. Personally  I think it's neat. Watching a Legend, live. 

Amen. And, how he turns it up a notch is what I find amazing. You know, as I said earlier he'll always be compared to Jordan. But, Jordan never turned it up, he was always turnt up. Played every game the same.

Another 17 point first quarter lead for the Wizards. I'm going to punch a wall when the Celtics inevitably tie the game up. 

ETA: Holy shit the $64m man Ian Mahimni has deigned to play in the playoffs. It's been so long I forgot what he looked like. 

ETA2: Holy fuck Kelly Oubre vs. Kelly Olynyk. Olynyk is a dopey Canadian, Oubre needs to grow the fuck up. 

ETA3: First complete game in terms of intensity and defense by the Wiz. Consider me shocked. 

Archived