NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

5 hours ago, Relic said:

You and every opposing GM in the East. Personally  I think it's neat. Watching a Legend, live. 

By fan allegiance I'm supposed to hate LeBron. And I did. But I cannot deny his greatness and I respect the way he's handled everything since the early Miami days.

Oubre's reaction was really stupid.  He got the foul call.  He is the first player off the bench of a team desperately short of depth.  You cannot afford to fly off the handle in that situation.  If he's suspended for game 4 (which I expect), that gives the Celtics a much better chance of winning.  If Bogan is shooting a little off (which is a 50/50 chance), that would mean we have exactly zero bench players we can trust.  That's not a winning formula.

15 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

That said. I disagree with you. I am a huge NBA playoff fan. Knowing that Warriors Cavs was inevitable a year ago, and almost certain to happen yet again next year, just sucks. I'm watching tons of hockey. I don't know a damn thing about hockey.

Many things are seen as inevitable, right up until they don't happen. Considering how close OKC came to beating GS last year, I wouldn't say Warriors-Cavs was a certainty, and I don't think Cleveland-Boston or Cleveland-Washington is a certainty, though the Cavs will absolutely be favored.  

1 hour ago, A Prince of Dorne said:

Many things are seen as inevitable, right up until they don't happen. Considering how close OKC came to beating GS last year, I wouldn't say Warriors-Cavs was a certainty, and I don't think Cleveland-Boston or Cleveland-Washington is a certainty, though the Cavs will absolutely be favored.  

Cavs will crush either the Wizards or Celtics just as they are the Raps.  The Wiz and Celts don't play defense.  That means Cleveland is likely to beat them by 30 every game if LeBron wants to.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

The Wiz and Celts don't play defense.

In general I agree the Cavs would beat the Celtics without too much trouble, but the Celtics are at least respectable defensively. Smart and Bradley are elite defenders.

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Oubre's reaction was really stupid.  He got the foul call.  He is the first player off the bench of a team desperately short of depth.  You cannot afford to fly off the handle in that situation.  If he's suspended for game 4 (which I expect), that gives the Celtics a much better chance of winning.  If Bogan is shooting a little off (which is a 50/50 chance), that would mean we have exactly zero bench players we can trust.  That's not a winning formula.

Oubre's the definition of young and dumb. I appreciate his "no fear" approach to the game but charging a 7 footer who has a ref holding onto him after getting the damn foul call is just stupid. And agree getting suspended (which would not be unjustified) on such a thin team is bad.

That said the silver lining may be Bojan becomes the first guy off the bench. Dude is Vinnie "the microwave" Johnson type instant offense if you give him minutes. He's not close to the on-the-ball defender Oubre is, but I trust him a lot more...not to be, well, what Marcus Smart was last night. 

21 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Oubre's the definition of young and dumb. I appreciate his "no fear" approach to the game but charging a 7 footer who has a ref holding onto him after getting the damn foul call is just stupid. And agree getting suspended (which would not be unjustified) on such a thin team is bad.

That said the silver lining may be Bojan becomes the first guy off the bench. Dude is Vinnie "the microwave" Johnson type instant offense if you give him minutes. He's not close to the on-the-ball defender Oubre is, but I trust him a lot more...not to be, well, what Marcus Smart was last night. 

I don't really see that as a silver lining, since I want both of those guys to be getting 20+ minutes every game, even in the playoffs.  We need a lot more than just Bojan coming off the bench.  A lineup of Bojan, Oubre, Mahinmi/Smith + 2 starters ought to be able to at least compete while three guys get rest.  That's about as good as it gets for this team. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

In general I agree the Cavs would beat the Celtics without too much trouble, but the Celtics are at least respectable defensively. Smart and Bradley are elite defenders.

They are. Crowder, Horford and Brown all have skills too. 

But what I realized last night would kill the Celtics against the Cavs is inability to rebound. If they can't keep Gortat and Porter off the boards, good luck against Lebron, Thompson and Love. The Celtics are a really small team and what big men they have are bad rebounders.

I remain astounded this team is the 1 seed in the East and that the Wizards are down 2-1. But just shows how far a team can go with great coaching and a 5'7" guy with absurd self belief. 

7 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I remain astounded this team is the 1 seed in the East and that the Wizards are down 2-1. But just shows how far a team can go with great coaching and a 5'7" guy with absurd self belief. 

I remain very unimpressed by this Celtics team.  Not that the Wizards are anything special either, but Boston are the weakest #1 seed I can remember in a long time.  Hell, if Beal were just playing C+ ball this series instead of straight garbage (17/46?!), we'd be up 2-1 at least. 

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I remain very unimpressed by this Celtics team.  Not that the Wizards are anything special either, but Boston are the weakest #1 seed I can remember in a long time.  Hell, if Beal were just playing C+ ball this series instead of straight garbage (17/46?!), we'd be up 2-1 at least. 

I agree to an extent. But, IT is playing lights out. And sometimes, that's enough to give you the edge.

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah Beal's been pissing me off with his tentativeness.  At least he racheted up his defensive intensity last night even if he still hasn't found his stroke. Was ragdogging Celtics as much as they have been doing to him all series. 

6 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I agree to an extent. But, IT is playing lights out. And sometimes, that's enough to give you the edge.

He played phenomenal offense in games 1 and 2.  For some reason the Wizards didn't effectively attack his defensive shortcomings until game 3.  Once they did though, he was really dragging the team down on that side of the ball, and I expect that will continue. 

Good as his offense is, I would be very concerned about trying to build a team around him.  At times his defense makes Curry and Irving look positively stout in comparison.

27 minutes ago, briantw said:

I just wish Oubre would have punched that dirty bitch Olynyk in the face.

There's still time! 

Just not sure if Oubre-Olynyk, Jennings-Rozier, Mahimni-Jerebko or Morris-Horford will result in punches being thrown first. 

I still remember two years ago during the Cavs/Celtics series after Olynyk hurt Love, Blatt sent Kendrick Perkins in to set the dirtiest screen in NBA history.  That was fucking great.  :lol:

But I still blame that asshole Olynyk for costing Cleveland back-to-back titles.

Beal's flop last night was the funniest moment of the playoffs so far for me. He overdid it so much.

Wall is such a great player, I hope these playoffs get him more recognition, he's a rare combo of incredible athleticism and elite passng and decision making skills. Now that his jump shot has improved he's almost unstoppable,

39 minutes ago, David Selig said:

Beal's flop last night was the funniest moment of the playoffs so far for me. He overdid it so much.

Wall is such a great player, I hope these playoffs get him more recognition, he's a rare combo of incredible athleticism and elite passng and decision making skills. Now that his jump shot has improved he's almost unstoppable,

Yeah there's been so much bad acting in this Celtics-Wizards series though Beal easily won that razzie award (and got some home-cooking from the refs in the process). 

And completely agreed on Wall. Been really satisfying to see the refined player he has evolved into. That stop on a dime 18 footer has become lethal and it's not defendable - you have to respect his speed driving or he will embarrass you. It was why I was so disappointed with the half-assed game-winner he attempted in game 2. Yeah he was tired, but felt like he rushed every part of that drive. Needs more high leverage playoff situation reps.

Archived