NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Wiz/Celts has been a good series. Spurs/Rockets is evenly matched, although the individual games have all been blowouts. I think both Conference Finals are likely to be pretty good. If the Spurs move on, you're going to have a bigtime coaching mismatch. If it's the Rockets and they can stay hot, they should be able to keep pace with the Warriors. I don't think either of those two teams will be a walkover. Not sure if either the Celts or the Wiz can give Cleveland any issues, but I'm eager to find out.

You're more optimistic than I my friend. I think the Cavs will absolutely stomp whoever they face and I suspect the Warriors will do the same. The Spurs look like they're struggling and the Rockets are unreliable. 

Of all the ways the Spurs could beat the Rockets in game 5, Manu Ginobili blocking a James Harden game-tying 3 point attempt in OT would've been the 37,241st most likely. 

30 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Of all the ways the Spurs could beat the Rockets in game 5, Manu Ginobili blocking a James Harden game-tying 3 point attempt in OT would've been the 37,241st most likely. 

That OT was crazy. And how about Danny Green? Scoring the last 7 points for the Spurs in the last 50 or so seconds. Hell of a finish.

5 minutes ago, sperry said:

Loved that Spurs victory, but what's the story with Kawhi? Because if his injury is extended, they may as well let the Rockets move on.

He says he's playing Game 6, but who knows. Kind of seems like it might be the smarter move to sit him for the road game, then bring him back for Game 7 at home.

That was a truly ugly overtime period.  Both teams couldn't make a shot and looked too tired to run real offensive sets.  Off a timeout at the end of regulation, the Spurs give it to Mills, who does nothing much for three seconds, and then shoots after time expires?  No wonder Pop was mad.

But really the Rockets looked by far worse.  The Spurs at least had the excuse that Leonard got hurt.  The Rockets were just gassed, couldn't get rebounds, couldn't drive and kick, it was mostly just standing around.  If you let Manu Ginobili and Danny Green beat you, you better hope it's 2014, because otherwise that's inexcusable. 

If Leonard is reduced to 80% effectiveness, the Spurs have no chance against GSW.  And the Rockets...they may be high variance, but when they're bad, they're really bad. 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

That was a truly ugly overtime period.  Both teams couldn't make a shot and looked too tired to run real offensive sets.  Off a timeout at the end of regulation, the Spurs give it to Mills, who does nothing much for three seconds, and then shoots after time expires?  No wonder Pop was mad.

If I cared about the result at all, I would've pulled my hair out at what both teams did at the end of regulation.

Houston had the ball with 36 seconds left, tie game. Instead of going for the 2 for 1, Harden holds the ball for 20+ seconds 30 feet from the basket then picks up an offensive foul on a desperate last second drive to the hoop. 

Spurs get the ball back with 12 seconds left and Mills basically dribbles out the clock and shoots after the buzzer goes. It's telling they didn't even try to go to LaMarcus Aldridge in the big spot without Kawhi (and he proceeded to be awful in OT). 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

If I cared about the result at all, I would've pulled my hair out at what both teams did at the end of regulation.

Houston had the ball with 36 seconds left, tie game. Instead of going for the 2 for 1, Harden holds the ball for 20+ seconds 30 feet from the basket then picks up an offensive foul on a desperate last second drive to the hoop. 

Spurs get the ball back with 12 seconds left and Mills basically dribbles out the clock and shoots after the buzzer goes. It's telling they didn't even try to go to LaMarcus Aldridge in the big spot without Kawhi (and he proceeded to be awful in OT). 

Aldridge looks horrible.  I remember him being both good and reliable in the few games I saw him with the Blazers.  But in this series he is a complete nonfactor.  I don't know if his skills have diminished or it's just a bad fit or what, but he looks lost out there.  From what I'm seeing, I wouldn't trade Markeiff Morris for him, and Morris is the weakest starter in Washington. 

21 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Harden really doesn't have much in the way of basketball IQ. Seems like that's something he should've figured out by now. Recognizing the 2 for 1 is Basketball 101.

One thing I am quite enjoying is watching the Cavs at work.

Mainly because:

1) Watching Peak LeBron. He looks in such excellent form. Prototypical leader, allround excellent skills. What a player.

2) Irving. Generally a big fan of him anyway and when he's on it he's such a great player to watch.

3) Kevin Love Channing Frye, JR Smith and Kyle Korver manning the guns, spreading the floor whilst Kyrie and LeBron draw all the attention. 

It's true that the East is not strong enough to compete with these guys, but at the same time, this is a great, great team.

I posted these in the U.S. Politics thread, but I guess it couldn't hurt to report them here too:

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, time for a bold, albeit silly prediction. Either in 2028 or 2032, LeBron James will be the Democratic nominee for President. 

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The silly part is making a prediction 3-4 Presidential cycles away. 

That said, it actually makes a lot of sense. He could deliver two key swing states (OH and FL). He's already a billionaire, and has shown an incredibly shrewd business sense. He has a long history of charitable work. And he's hinted in the past that he might be interested in politics post-basketball.

Plus the taller candidate normally wins, and he'd tower over just about anyone.

And if all else fails, he can just rise up strong with the rock and yam in his opponent's face!

I mean, he can't be any worse than Trump, right?

Then again, you could say that for damn near everyone.  I'm personally on board with the Rock running for President, but only if he runs as his WWF character and they play his entrance music when he walks on to the stage for debates.  Those debates would be glorious.  

Insane first half for Avery Bradley. Celtics came out with all kinds of intensity that Wizards did nothing to match. 

Presumably the Celtics will slow down from shooting 57% from 3 but who knows with these kind of defensive lapses. 

Wizards finished second in the derby for Horford who does fucking everything on the court well except rebounding. Could only imagine how good this team would be with the spacing/passing he provides. 

They instead spent their cap space on Mahimni who struggles at things like picking the ball up off the ground. 

Tough to beat the Celtics when Smart and Bradley are playing like that and they're also getting big contributions from Crowder and Horford. They didn't even need a big night from Thomas, which is great, because he's at least 30 free throws short of the regular season average that briantw observed.

18 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean, he can't be any worse than Trump, right?

Then again, you could say that for damn near everyone.  I'm personally on board with the Rock running for President, but only if he runs as his WWF character and they play his entrance music when he walks on to the stage for debates.  Those debates would be glorious.  

He's still a registered Republican, so it would have to be in the primary. That said, I got a better wrestler to take down Trump:

37 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rough night to be a D.C. sports fan....

It was also my anniversary, so I needed to make sure that sports didn't ruin my mood too much.  If we'd gotten at least a split, I would have been OK.  As it was, not a fun night. 

Archived