NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

10 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It was also my anniversary, so I needed to make sure that sports didn't ruin my mood too much.  If we'd gotten at least a split, I would have been OK.  As it was, not a fun night. 

Big picture, the anniversary is the only thing that matters.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Big picture, the anniversary is the only thing that matters.

I don't know about that.  Your anniversary isn't your marriage.  You can make as big a deal of it as the two of you want. 

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't know about that.  Your anniversary isn't your marriage.  You can make as big a deal of it as the two of you want. 

True, but sporting events you aren't playing in really don't mean anything. It's just a form of entertainment. It means as much as reading a book does. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, but sporting events you aren't playing in really don't mean anything. It's just a form of entertainment. It means as much as reading a book does. 

But both books and sports can have a profound impact on our lives.  Just right now, we are communicating on a forum based on a book series on a thread about sports!

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

But both books and sports can have a profound impact on our lives.  Just right now, we are communicating on a forum based on a book series on a thread about sports!

Ha, fair enough.

17 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

You're going to have to be more specific. 

The hell did you get into last night?

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The hell did you get into last night?

Just pointing out there's pretty much only rough nights for DC sports fans. When I saw Joe House tweeting yesterday about the Wizards/Caps/Nats all winning parlay, I knew we were fucked...because the mere possibility of the most perfect, beautiful night invariably means the opposite will occur. I think Maith would agree...it happens every time. 

On 5/8/2017 at 4:33 PM, DunderMifflin said:

Ive always suspected the steroid era in baseball robbed Ken Griffey Jr of how great he was supposed to be(unless he was on the juice too). He was the most naturally gifted player of his era, like a tiger woods type prodigy. I always thought he would be more impressive in a non steroid era.

I'm still in favor of just not banning steroids, if they want to use them they should be allowed to, but I don't think it's a level playing feild when they r banned because it suggests that all players are willing to cheat.

Thank you for posting this, with regards to Griffey. Completely agree. Once in a lifetime talent that was not nearly appreciated enough due to the steroid guys popping up around him

On 5/9/2017 at 11:21 AM, briantw said:

From what I've seen, Love at this point has become a total team player.  I remember in the Pacers series when he and Kyrie both had awful games and were benched in the fourth, Love was the first guy to jump up and cheer when someone hit a big shot down the stretch.  It was then that I knew that, despite issues the Cavs had throughout the year, chemistry-wise they were absolutely fine and everyone was bought in.  Some players (I know I've seen Curry do it) would have sulked at being benched during crunch time of a big game, but all Love cared about was that the team won.

I don't think Love was always like this in Cleveland, and year one was obviously incredibly rocky.  However, now it's pretty obvious that he cares more about the team winning than his own role or stats.

Also, I think it's a bit ridiculous to call a guy who put up a 19-11-2 with a 21 PER in the regular season a role player.  Yeah, he's scoring less in the playoffs, but he's also taking five less shots a game, and he's improved his three point shooting to forty percent in these playoffs.  

I agree. Outside of LBJ, nobody in the world enjoyed that championship more than JR Smith and Kevin Love. I think the magnitude of it changed both player's perspectives forever. Neither guy gets worked up about "touches" or scoring the ball anymore. They're both willing to do whatever the fuck it takes to win. JR in particular looks so much happier as a player and as a person than he did when he was scoring 20 a game for various selfish teams. Shit, the guy is now looked at as the Cavs top perimeter defender. That would have been insane to think about three years ago

I'm surprised at the number of empty seats this far into the first quarter at Houston.

Its a bit hard to make out just how many because of the t shirts draped on all the lower arena seats, but you can tell that many of those t shirts aren't moving or reacting to the game.

Spread went from 5.5 to 8.5 after Kawhi was announced out. In my younger (and dumber) days I would've bet the house on Houston. Nice not to be a degenerate gambler anymore. 

Sloppy basketball the last few minutes.

On 5/2/2017 at 7:52 AM, Rhom said:

Yeah... that whole thing I said about the Spurs being a tough match up and blah blah blah... forget I said anything.

:stunned: 

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about from one day to the next...

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

If Kerr is still sidelined, I think we may be about to find out just how important coaching really is in the NBA.

Fuck, you aren't kidding. I think this is the 3rd time Popvitch has knocked D'Antoni out of the playoffs, and D'Antoni arguably had the better team in each series. The guy is at least one step ahead of the rest of the league. 

Archived