NBA 2017: Take That For Data - MVP Edition

Relic

1 hour ago, David Selig said:

Also, fuck Zaza. He's always been a scumbag.

Agree 100%.

His reaction directly afterwards was sickening too. There is NO way that Zaza didn't know Leonard would be coming down on his foot. 

In total agreement with you guys when you see the replay.

Why does he take that extra step? That's the thing that gives it away and declares intent.

I have to say I am beginning to really hate these Warriors and will be rooting all out for the Cavs in the inevitable final.

The thing that just gets me is how they constantly luck out with their opponents being hobbled. We don't need to go over all the previous years, we know it's  fact. But now again, the Clippers lose Griffin and thus lose the series against Utah, which allows Golden State to play a hopeless Utah team that gave them no trouble at all in 4 games. Does that mean the healthy Clippers would have beaten them, no, but it would for sure have been a tougher series for GS.

Now they finally play the Spurs, who I actually think could do something against them, and Leonard already starts the series injured, the one guy you don't want injured. And then on top of that, when he does play, Pachulia takes him out with a so called accidental move. And on top of that, they have Draymond Green being a complete piece of shit game in game out, mouthing off to the refs in ways you rarely see. Even against lowly Utah he could not keep his dirty mouth shut.

I guess Kahwi will be out for game 2. Hopefully he will be back for game 3 but to be honest he just doesn't look right. When you see in how much pain he was just after his ankle rolled over from stepping on David Lee, he is injured. Golden State luck out, again.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I have to say I am beginning to really hate these Warriors and will be rooting all out for the Cavs in the inevitable final.

Honestly they're the best heels I've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly they're the best heels I've ever seen. 

I think they're actually a very poor fit for being heels.  Green is easy to hate, and Durant joining the borg was lame, but that's about it.  You can hate on Curry, but that's really just what you're bringing to the table.  Thompson, Iguodala and Livingston are all pretty classy, likeable guys.  Even their coach is a throwback to the 90s Bulls, and everybody loves those teams.

Likewise, their style is very watchable.  High scoring, lots of passing, and very versatile defensively.

The problem is that a couple of things have conspired to make them the NBA villain, even if they aren't a good fit for it.  Last year, they were the foil for Lebron winning a championship in Cleveland.  It was an irresistible narrative, and everyone who can appreciate Lebron's greatness enjoyed it.  And even the Lebron haters are pissed at GSW, for making him look so good.

Then this offseason they had the opportunity to add Durant.  Any team would be crazy to turn away a top 5 free agent.  So they sign him.  But now a team that was already stacked is just more so, and that isn't very fun.  So in the space of just a few months, the Warriors went from Hot New Thing to NBA villain. 

But that doesn't change the fact that aside from Green, they aren't very good villains.  They also hate it.  True villains in sports revel in being hated by opposing fans.  Kobe was a great villain.  Both the early 90s Pistons and the mid 00s Pistons loved it.  Or switching sports, the Patriots embrace villainy, it is truly the only way they play.  But Curry, Thompson and Durant all play best when the crowd is behind them.  In road games, they far prefer to take the crowd out of it early  than hit the dagger at the end to silence the crowd. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I think they're actually a very poor fit for being heels.  Green is easy to hate, and Durant joining the borg was lame, but that's about it.  You can hate on Curry, but that's really just what you're bringing to the table.  Thompson, Iguodala and Livingston are all pretty classy, likeable guys.  Even their coach is a throwback to the 90s Bulls, and everybody loves those teams.

Just look at their starting 5. You have two guys who are considered among the dirtiest players in the NBA. You have the Durant situation. You have two sons of NBA players. You have a ton of trash talkers and the cockiest guy in the NBA. And they back it up. They make great heels. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just look at their starting 5. You have two guys who are considered among the dirtiest players in the NBA. You have the Durant situation. You have two sons of NBA players. You have a ton of trash talkers and the cockiest guy in the NBA. And they back it up. They make great heels. 

https://img.memesuper.com/0da25cbc058f5f3f9e5a6252cbcc9683_you-say-youre-not-a-hater-the-youre-a-hater-memes_300-300.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lol, it's hard to argue that I'm a Warriors hater when last year I was the one dude defending Draymond Green. 

ETA:

I'm just saying that the Warriors are the heels of the NBA right now, and that they're good at it. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, it's hard to argue that I'm a Warriors hater when last year I was the one dude defending Draymond Green. 

ETA:

I'm just saying that the Warriors are the heels of the NBA right now, and that they're good at it. 

I'll take "Things a Hater Might Say" for $500, Alex...;)

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'll take "Things a Hater Might Say" for $500, Alex...;)

Lol, I don't see how I'm being a hater. I actually like the Warriors, but that doesn't prevent me from also saying they're heels. I mean, they're about to make LeBron James the lovable underdog in the finals. LeBron Freaking James, who just a few years ago was voted the most hated pro-athlete. 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Says the hater.  

Sure, but I own it. I'm probably the biggest Pats hater in the NFL thread. I can make excuses, and point to things like Spygate and Deflategate and whatnot, but at the end of the day if the Pats weren't as dominant as they are, I wouldn't Sportshate them. At least I'm honest about it. 

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, I don't see how I'm being a hater. I actually like the Warriors, but that doesn't prevent me from also saying they're heels. I mean, they're about to make LeBron James the lovable underdog in the finals. LeBron Freaking James, who just a few years ago was voted the most hated pro-athlete. 

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know the Warriors are pretty much universally hated by most fans outside the Bay Area at this point. I just think the biggest reason for that is mostly their success and their embarrassment of riches as far as talent goes. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I'm just giving you a hard time. I know the Warriors are pretty much universally hated by most fans outside the Bay Area at this point. I just think the biggest reason for that is mostly their success and their embarrassment of riches as far as talent goes. 

Well it's that plus they've turned the trash talking up to 11. They didn't get this kind of hate when they were the upstart choir boys. 

What success? Honestly, the thing that i dislike about this team is how cocky they are, even tho they have one ONE single championship this far. Anyway, i don't hate on the Warriors because they have won a a large amount of regular season games. I dislike them based on HOW they play. Their style of basketball isn't one i find appealing. The Durant signing didn't help, either. 

Also, Klay isn't classy, he's just one of those super arrogant spoiled kids who doesn't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks, because he has never known an ounce of suffering in his life, 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

And just a quick update on the Kawhi play, I have to admit that after seeing a bunch of players comment on it that is was a pretty dirty play. He sold it really well, methinks, but dirty nonetheless. I honestly hope that Leonard recovers quickly and is back in the lineup tomorrow.

Chances are he's out for at least one game. But yeah, totally dirty. If i were one of Zaza's team mates I'd be very unhappy with his actions. Bush league garbage by an unskilled low-browed thugs, which reflects badly on the entire team. 

I think its just because of the Durant move, completely selfish move. Smart? Sure. Best move for Durants career and finances? Yep. But people don't watch basketball to witness young entrepreneurs make savvy self branding moves. There are different kinds of heels, some are "love to hate" and are super entertaining to watch, Muhammad Ali, The mid 90s Knicks, Bad Boy Pistons. The forming of super teams such as the Heat and Warriors just feels wrong and maybe something different than a "heel". Bill Burr has a great bit about how even when little kids are playing if one team is too stacked they will even it out.

Why even bother with the draft anymore, just let's the players decide who all is going to team up.

Archived