The sacrifice

The Exiled Septa

So i have seen in many discussions that Gedry will forge the magical sword that will end the other's threat.But for this sword, a sacrifice must be made and the most likely candidate that I have seen is Arya.I don't know I just can't picture her as the one to be sacrificed.And generally speaking, i don't really think there will be a sacrifice I think it's kind of like a metaphor.

But if it does happen those are my thoughts:

Nissa Nissa died and the sword became aflame.......hmm for me the only one who was most likely could do that is Dany

I don't know why but I can imagine her to kind of pass her flame to the sword. She is unburned , it's like she swallows the heat and generally, she is fire whereas Arya is more ice that ice

I don't make any sense I know.....just a random thought. :rolleyes: but I haven't seen it anywhere. What do you guys think?

To answer about the sacrifice someone have to ask why a background character will end up being the Hero at the end.

In any case, I don’t think that AAR has to reforge his Lighbringer through sacrificing anyone or that his sword will need to be reforged. Let alone a background character becoming the ultimate Savior.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Maybe it isn't even a weapon but a group of people. I believe that the Night's Watch is Lightbringer.

Oh I see. That makes sense, but how the Night's watch will be "forged" or at least, who'll be the sacrifice that will make the wall lightbringer?

1 minute ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Oh I see. That makes sense, but how the Night's watch will be "forged" or at least, who'll be the sacrifice that will make the wall lightbringer?

The reforging has already started, by understanding the vows, as to the sacrifice I always thought that it will be Ned's lessons to Jon about idiotic close minded honor.

3 hours ago, Valedina said:

So i have seen in many discussions that Gedry will forge the magical sword that will end the other's threat.But for this sword, a sacrifice must be made and the most likely candidate that I have seen is Arya.I don't know I just can't picture her as the one to be sacrificed.And generally speaking, i don't really think there will be a sacrifice I think it's kind of like a metaphor.

Nissa Nissa died and the sword became aflame.......hmm for me the only one who was most likely could do that is Dany

I don't know why but I can imagine her to kind of pass her flame to the sword. She is unburned , it's like she swallows the heat and generally, she is fire whereas Arya is more ice that ice

I don't make any sense I know.....just a random thought. :rolleyes: but I haven't seen it anywhere. What do you guys think?

Dany is Azor Ahai.  She has fulfilled every criteria to be Azor Ahai.  Drogo was NN and the dragons are her version of Lightbringer. 

Can you actually chase the white walkers with one sword?  That's just ridiculous.  But you absolutely can chase them back to where they came with three dragons.

The sacrifice?  Jon will get his ass barbecued.  He's the third treason and Dany will feed him to the fire.  The red comet will appear again and the seasons will turn back to spring.  The land will thaw and a queendom to love can be built.

18 minutes ago, Steelshanks Walton said:

Dany is Azor Ahai.  She has fulfilled every criteria to be Azor Ahai.  Drogo was NN and the dragons are her version of Lightbringer. 

Can you actually chase the white walkers with one sword?  That's just ridiculous.  But you absolutely can chase them back to where they came with three dragons.

The sacrifice?  Jon will get his ass barbecued.  He's the third treason and Dany will feed him to the fire.  The red comet will appear again and the seasons will turn back to spring.  The land will thaw and a queendom to love can be built.

Someone is a dany fan.

I think the Nissa Nissa bit is just some of the dreck that accumulates in stories that are millenia old. What probably happened was Mrs. Ahai (aka "Nissa Nissa") interrupted Azor one too many times out at his forge. Are you STILL working on that same sword? Just get Doret the Blacksmith to make you one, and you'll have time to help get the harvest in, hint hint!

And so he ran it through her, like any guy would. (At that point in the story, all the men get up and cheer, and the women dissolve in thoughts of romantic sacrifices.) Then Ahai justified his actions by claiming that it made the sword magical.

The idea that one guy can defeat the Others with their limitless hordes of wights is pretty unlikely. As The Doctor's Consort and others have noted. Steelshanks Walton makes a good case for Daenerys, and I tend to agree. Gendry is a non-entity at this point; barely even knows how to use a sword, and hasn't learned the lore of reworking, let alone creating, Valyrian steel. Plus the idea that he's got some kind of crush on Arya and vice versa is not borne out by the text; it's mainly the obsession of folks determined to "ship" everybody in the story, one way or another. (My humble opinion, and forgive me for not being a romantic.)

And I don't think quenching a sword in a woman is romantic, just gross and despicable.

There will be blood sacrifices but it won't be related to the swords.  Sansa and Arya remain virgins for a reason.  I am thinking their blood will be spilled in front of a heart tree just like that poor man that Bran saw in his vision.  The blood of one or two of the remaining Starks will be needed to make the heart tree strong again.  A Stark sacrifice will be called for.   I hope it's Jon or Sansa, but Arya would be fine too.

8 hours ago, Valedina said:

I suspect that she already has reforged Lightbringer, and it is three dragons, not a sword.

How about this: Azor Ahai was the warrior but not the smith. He didn't actually forge the thing. So Gendry doesn't have to kill anyone. 

If we must have sacrifices by our warriors, I submit the following possibilities...

Option 1: Jon must sacrifice his Stark side (Ghost) in order to claim his Targaryen heritage (ride a dragon). 

Option 2: There's not enough dragonbone to go around (see my theory on Dragonsteel) and Dany must sacrifice one of her dragons....dragons are fire made flesh...flaming sword...I'm sure you see the connection, but it's furthered by the sacrifice of the biggest and thus most-bone heavy dragon who just happens to be named after her first love Drogo. That's a pretty strong Nissa Nissa reference there.

Option 3: Stannis kills Theon (water) with his "Lightbringer", then kills a Lannister (probably Lancel in a religious battle thing; a lion), then when he learns that Mel/Selyse has sacrificed Shireen in an attempt to bring him back from the dead--per the Pink Letter's contents--he shoves his sword into one or both of their hearts and...accidentally making "Lightbringer" become Lightbringer, and making himself Azor Ahai Reborn.

@Lady Blizzardborn I agree that Melisandre is set up pretty thoroughly to be NN re-killed. My only nitpick with your scenario is that in the AA myth it wasn't one blade used three times, it was three different forgings, thus three different-ish blades. Of course that may get condensed for the non-mythical version. 

I think LB is as much about who wields it as how the thing gets made. If we think Jon is AA, then we should expect him to do whatever activates it. And his impending resurrection is likely part of that. We do have precedents for LB/AA imitators (Thoros, Stannis so far), as well as genuine articles (Beric). So whichever sword-wielding character gets resurrected with black blood is probably our Azor Ahai.

The LB myth is also based on real-world season change mythology - 6 months to forge LB, 6 months between solstices - so I think when the story is all told, we will look back and see a bunch of pretty obvious "forgings" scattered throughout the transition from summer to winter.

Now for some crackpot... what if LB is the obsidian dagger Samwell used to kill the Other? That being the "water" tempering.

edit: what if it's Val? Stabbing Val makes Valyrian steel!

I wrote a pretty fleshed out theory on this, its was called "the Journey from Ice to Lightbringer". I'll find the link and add it. But to paraphrase I think Ned was the water from the AA story and since ICE was then reforged into OK and WW, theyll be used to kill one or more lannisters. Then Gendry will reforge ICE from the two blades, with help from Sam and Melisandre, and give it to Jon after he has taken back Winterfell as a sign of the starks taking back control of the north. Then Dany will trick Jon into killing her with the reforged ICE as her last betrayal/mount/fire. Betraying Jon, Mounting the great stallion or whatever the dothraki death symbol was, and igniting Lightbringer.

14 hours ago, zandru said:

And I don't think quenching a sword in a woman is romantic, just gross and despicable.

Why does everyone get offended by the idea of a woman dying in ASOIAF? The women in this series are badass and it would be such a disservice to women if they were protected from the same violence as the men in the story. Someone on another topic once said "Im disgusted at the thought of an innocent unsuspecting woman being run through for light bringer" I dont know that many of the women in the series are "innocent" as such and the nissa nissa story has her offering herself for the sacrifice, not being slaughtered. I think if you want romance you're maybe reading the wrong books try Wuthering Heights. "Gross and Despicable"?? wasnt Biter eating Briennes face worse? I dont understand some people.

Anyway, I think the power in kings blood will come into play too for the sacrifice, and who has more powerful kings blood than Daenerys the Conqueror? But she will have to sacrifice herself. Not be taken by force and killed.

12 hours ago, cgrav said:

@Lady Blizzardborn I agree that Melisandre is set up pretty thoroughly to be NN re-killed. My only nitpick with your scenario is that in the AA myth it wasn't one blade used three times, it was three different forgings, thus three different-ish blades. Of course that may get condensed for the non-mythical version. 

I think LB is as much about who wields it as how the thing gets made. If we think Jon is AA, then we should expect him to do whatever activates it. And his impending resurrection is likely part of that. We do have precedents for LB/AA imitators (Thoros, Stannis so far), as well as genuine articles (Beric). So whichever sword-wielding character gets resurrected with black blood is probably our Azor Ahai.

The LB myth is also based on real-world season change mythology - 6 months to forge LB, 6 months between solstices - so I think when the story is all told, we will look back and see a bunch of pretty obvious "forgings" scattered throughout the transition from summer to winter.

Now for some crackpot... what if LB is the obsidian dagger Samwell used to kill the Other? That being the "water" tempering.

edit: what if it's Val? Stabbing Val makes Valyrian steel!

Three different forgings of the same metal most likely. When a sword you're making doesn't turn out, you melt the metal down and try again. Here we run into one of the problems with how vague our info is from the text: we don't know that LB has to be made again from scratch. If Stannis actually has it, it may only need to be reactivated, and that could be done by repeating the three killings that were necessary to temper it in the first place. What I want to know is who were the Water and Lion the first time around?

It took way more than 6 months to forge a working LB.

That's unlikely. The NW already know about obsidian being dragonglass, but their records also refer to dragonsteel. If LB ever did exist, then it would be that dragonsteel, and that's why the LH had to learn from the CotF. They wouldn't have taught him to make obsidian because obsidian is naturally occurring. Then of course there's the fact that if it killed Others in it's first form (per the Water tempering) why the heck did AA keep working on it until it could also kill Lions and Wives? Talk about overkill.

This I like! :D

Archived