The sacrifice

The Exiled Septa

Nissa Nissa probably is/was undead or resurrected like Beric and Stoneheart. Remember when Beric set his sword on fire using only his blood?

Unsmiling, Lord Beric laid the edge of his longsword against the palm of his left hand, and drew it slowly down. Blood ran dark from the gash he made, and washed over the steel.

And then the sword took fire.

The blood of the resurrected by R'hllor is flammable somehow, that's why Azor Ahai has to stab Nissa Nissa through the heart, to light up the sword with her blood. 

So I think Cat's a better candidate for a Nissa Nissa-like figure, especially if we consider the foreshadowing of the burning statues of the Seven back in ACOK and how they likely represented the Starks: 

The Mother seemed almost to shudder as the flames came licking up her face. A longsword had been thrust though her heart, and its leader grip was alive with flame. 

3 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

What I want to know is who were the Water and Lion the first time around?

It took way more than 6 months to forge a working LB.

I would assume it's the same metal, as well, although in the real source myth, the first two attempts are regular metal, and the third is the shards of the sword Odin stuck in the tree.

My hunch is that the original literal water and lion were blue sky and the sun, meaning the comet made three passes:  First disappearing into nowhere, second disappearing behind the sun, and third striking the moon.

I thought the LB myth was 30, 50, and 100 days? 180 days = 6 months. Perhaps I'm mistaken on the myth.

edit: I don't know why the text is large there. No emphasis intended.

19 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

How about this: Azor Ahai was the warrior but not the smith. He didn't actually forge the thing. So Gendry doesn't have to kill anyone. 

If we must have sacrifices by our warriors, I submit the following possibilities...

Option 1: Jon must sacrifice his Stark side (Ghost) in order to claim his Targaryen heritage (ride a dragon). 

Option 2: There's not enough dragonbone to go around (see my theory on Dragonsteel) and Dany must sacrifice one of her dragons....dragons are fire made flesh...flaming sword...I'm sure you see the connection, but it's furthered by the sacrifice of the biggest and thus most-bone heavy dragon who just happens to be named after her first love Drogo. That's a pretty strong Nissa Nissa reference there.

Option 3: Stannis kills Theon (water) with his "Lightbringer", then kills a Lannister (probably Lancel in a religious battle thing; a lion), then when he learns that Mel/Selyse has sacrificed Shireen in an attempt to bring him back from the dead--per the Pink Letter's contents--he shoves his sword into one or both of their hearts and...accidentally making "Lightbringer" become Lightbringer, and making himself Azor Ahai Reborn.

I don't like your ideas.  How about this instead:

1 - Daenerys already sacrificed Drogo.  She was reborn under the red comet.  And she woke dragons from stone.  There is no doubt that she is Azor Ahai.

2 - Let's entertain the idea that there will be others who will need a weapon to fight the white walkers.  Gendry is a talented blacksmith so much so that even Ned was impressed with his ornate helmet.  He bashes Arya's chest with a war hammer and gets his ultimate weapon.  Jon stabs Ghost through the heart with Longclaw and gets his ultimate weapon.  Somebody, anybody (PLEASE JUST DO IT!) stabs Sansa in the heart with a dagger and earns their ultimate weapon. 

21 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

How about this: Azor Ahai was the warrior but not the smith. He didn't actually forge the thing. So Gendry doesn't have to kill anyone. 

If we must have sacrifices by our warriors, I submit the following possibilities...

Option 1: Jon must sacrifice his Stark side (Ghost) in order to claim his Targaryen heritage (ride a dragon). 

Option 2: There's not enough dragonbone to go around (see my theory on Dragonsteel) and Dany must sacrifice one of her dragons....dragons are fire made flesh...flaming sword...I'm sure you see the connection, but it's furthered by the sacrifice of the biggest and thus most-bone heavy dragon who just happens to be named after her first love Drogo. That's a pretty strong Nissa Nissa reference there.

Option 3: Stannis kills Theon (water) with his "Lightbringer", then kills a Lannister (probably Lancel in a religious battle thing; a lion), then when he learns that Mel/Selyse has sacrificed Shireen in an attempt to bring him back from the dead--per the Pink Letter's contents--he shoves his sword into one or both of their hearts and...accidentally making "Lightbringer" become Lightbringer, and making himself Azor Ahai Reborn.

I have never heard of this before, but I think I really, really like the idea of Stannis "faking it until he makes it." 

On 4/28/2017 at 5:05 PM, cgrav said:

I would assume it's the same metal, as well, although in the real source myth, the first two attempts are regular metal, and the third is the shards of the sword Odin stuck in the tree.

My hunch is that the original literal water and lion were blue sky and the sun, meaning the comet made three passes:  First disappearing into nowhere, second disappearing behind the sun, and third striking the moon.

I thought the LB myth was 30, 50, and 100 days? 180 days = 6 months. Perhaps I'm mistaken on the myth.

edit: I don't know why the text is large there. No emphasis intended.

That's possible. My math skills suck lately, as does my memory. I thought it was longer, but I could be wrong.

I get the symbolism of the comet, but I don't see how the comet striking the moon gave men a weapon that allowed them to defeat the Others, unless anyone actually believes that the comet striking the "second moon" created dragons. Even so, you'd think that dragons would be mentioned in the legends if not the records...especially when Aegon and his sisters showed up. Some old timer should have been scoffing about how if they'd come several thousand years ago it wouldn't have been as easy for them to conquer Westeros. Then again (my mind is doing a lot of turning this morning) maybe when we get the rest of the Last Hero story it will include dragons--and the maesters or septons who wrote the story down years later didn't believe they had real dragons so they invented the term dragonsteel instead. 

1 minute ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

That's possible. My math skills suck lately, as does my memory. I thought it was longer, but I could be wrong.

I get the symbolism of the comet, but I don't see how the comet striking the moon gave men a weapon that allowed them to defeat the Others, unless anyone actually believes that the comet striking the "second moon" created dragons. Even so, you'd think that dragons would be mentioned in the legends if not the records...especially when Aegon and his sisters showed up. Some old timer should have been scoffing about how if they'd come several thousand years ago it wouldn't have been as easy for them to conquer Westeros. Then again (my mind is doing a lot of turning this morning) maybe when we get the rest of the Last Hero story it will include dragons--and the maesters or septons who wrote the story down years later didn't believe they had real dragons so they invented the term dragonsteel instead. 

yeah, the 180 day thing is how it all ties back into the season changes. There's this great irony that the monomyth of Planetos is about something they lack: regular seasons. All they have are these ancient echoes from back when the stars did move north/south as the planet wobbled and coincided with the seasons. Thus, nobody actually knows what these myths are about, and they get turned into ritual and religion. I actually have a pet theory that a specific real world alignment of Orion's Belt and Sirius with the winter solstice sunrise is the root of the Lightbringer myth. The alignment is the "forging" of the sword that "slays" the winter season. So basically AA and the Last Hero are personifications of Orion. 

Anyway, the hypothesis is that Valyrian steel is made from the material that rained down after the moon impact. The destruction of the moon caused the Long Night, but also enabled the defeat of the Others. And the "dragons" in the Qarth moon myth are the meteors.

On April 28, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Wm Portnoy said:

I don't like your ideas.  How about this instead:

1 - Daenerys already sacrificed Drogo.  She was reborn under the red comet.  And she woke dragons from stone.  There is no doubt that she is Azor Ahai.

2 - Let's entertain the idea that there will be others who will need a weapon to fight the white walkers.  Gendry is a talented blacksmith so much so that even Ned was impressed with his ornate helmet.  He bashes Arya's chest with a war hammer and gets his ultimate weapon.  Jon stabs Ghost through the heart with Longclaw and gets his ultimate weapon.  Somebody, anybody (PLEASE JUST DO IT!) stabs Sansa in the heart with a dagger and earns their ultimate weapon. 

Do you have access to material I don't? Because no one knows if "Azor Ahai reborn" will come to fruition or not. (But yeah probably with Long Night 2.0 heading south)

And Jon is probably at least 50/50 with Dany. 

The strongest evidence imho is Aemon linking the fact it could be either male or female (I agree)

Not trying to be rude but that statement I underlined just simply is not even a "probably" and in no way is it a "no doubt" in fact there are plenty of doubts across the board. I like Dany to but Jon is the one on the front-lines. And he was born to a nearby castle that owns a sword made from (the heart of) a fallen "comet" (Dawn) 

On 4/30/2017 at 0:05 PM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Can you tell me the name of the 1st one. I've read literally everything else to do with this series thrice (including D&E and the world book and the others like PATQ, Rogue Prince) 

It doesn't have a name that I recall. It's in the fourth Bran chapter of AGOT. The story Old Nan is telling Bran, or tries to tell him, about the Last Hero and the Long Night. Maester Luwin interrupts and she never gets to finish that one. GRRM has said we should all pay less attention to the prophecies and more to Old Nan's stories so I'm betting there's something very important in that story...which of course is why The George didn't let Nan finish it. 

Just got Rogues. I'm really looking forward to reading TRP.

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

It doesn't have a name that I recall. It's in the fourth Bran chapter of AGOT. The story Old Nan is telling Bran, or tries to tell him, about the Last Hero and the Long Night. Maester Luwin interrupts and she never gets to finish that one. GRRM has said we should all pay less attention to the prophecies and more to Old Nan's stories so I'm betting there's something very important in that story...which of course is why The George didn't let Nan finish it. 

Just got Rogues. I'm really looking forward to reading TRP.

Ahh gotcha im sorry I seriously thought I missed a last hero book lol. 

Daemon has to be my all-time favorite character. But I've always been extremely pro-"blacks" so I'm sure others feel very differently. 

Archived