The Mountain's Children(Spoilers All!)

Maester Saramello

So the Mountain has hit the genetic lottery(physically at least). Cleganes have a history of being big but this guy takes the cake. 8 feet tall and not skinny or sickly with every bit of it muscle. 

I'll get to the point. He has raped and pillaged half of westeros and doubtless have caused bastards. My question is are they all going to be hulks like he will? Or is it more of a Maegor deal where he can't have any living children?

Good question. He has raped many women and unless he is sterile, some of them must've gotten with child. "The seed is strong" is an often used phrase in the book, so maybe his children will be as tall as him.

However, we know that he has been married twice and was apparently bethrothed to another woman before the War of the Five Kings broke out, and no one mentions him having any trueborn children by either of his wives, which I suppose opens up the opportunity that he is sterile (given what we know of his character, he likely killed his first two wives before he could have children with them, though we aren't told how long he was married to either of them).

2 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Good question. He has raped many women and unless he is sterile, some of them must've gotten with child. "The seed is strong" is an often used phrase in the book, so maybe his children will be as tall as him.

However, we know that he has been married twice and was apparently bethrothed to another woman before the War of the Five Kings broke out, and no one mentions him having any trueborn children by either of his wives, which I suppose opens up the opportunity that he is sterile (given what we know of his character, he likely killed his first two wives before he could have children with them, though we aren't told how long he was married to either of them).

Maybe he killed those wives because he thought they were barren, and all along it was him.

I vote that he's sterile. We don't need a bunch of mini-Gregors running around Westeros. 

It's impossible to say. If he did make a few bastards, it'll be a long time before they reach his size. But yes, they most likely will be huge men and women. Genes are pretty faithful in these books. Just look at Hodor, who's the great-grandson of Dunk. 

5 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Maybe he killed those wives because he thought they were barren, and all along it was him.

I vote that he's sterile. We don't need a bunch of mini-Gregors running around Westeros. 

The seed is strong, but the son is not the father. If Gregor fathers a few bastards there is no guarantee that they will be like him personality-wise

2 hours ago, Renly's Banana said:

It's impossible to say. If he did make a few bastards, it'll be a long time before they reach his size. But yes, they most likely will be huge men and women. Genes are pretty faithful in these books. Just look at Hodor, who's the great-grandson of Dunk. 

Has it been confirmed or is it still just a theory?

14 hours ago, Maester Saramello said:

So the Mountain has hit the genetic lottery(physically at least). Cleganes have a history of being big but this guy takes the cake. 8 feet tall and not skinny or sickly with every bit of it muscle. 

I'll get to the point. He has raped and pillaged half of westeros and doubtless have caused bastards. My question is are they all going to be hulks like he will? Or is it more of a Maegor deal where he can't have any living children?

He suffers from terrible headaches and is hooked to the milk of the poppy because of them. That's hardly can be considered as hitting the genetic lottery

8 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

The seed is strong, but the son is not the father. If Gregor fathers a few bastards there is no guarantee that they will be like him personality-wise

But those genes will show up again somewhere down the line and we'll have another Gregor running around Westeros.

Just a theory. There's more to support the idea that Brienne is the promised Dunk descendant, than that Hodor is.

10 hours ago, devilish said:

He suffers from terrible headaches and is hooked to the milk of the poppy because of them. That's hardly can be considered as hitting the genetic lottery

Supposedly his headaches were caused by a head injury.

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

There's more to support the idea that Brienne is the promised Dunk descendant, than that Hodor is.

Why not both? Dunc really got around. Other evidence is one of Bran's weirwood visions, of a hugely tall knight with a young woman (apparently Old Nan when she was young) under the Winterfell weirwood. Then there was Brienne seeing Duncan's shield in an armory back in Tarth.

12 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Gregor also drank huge amounts of Milk of the poppy because of head aches. Anyone who has ever had surgery and has had to take strong pain killers knows it's hard to.."finish" on opiates. 

In what way do you mean finish. Cause I am positive the mountain gets what he wants when he wants even if that means gettin his fix.

14 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Gregor also drank huge amounts of Milk of the poppy because of head aches. Anyone who has ever had surgery and has had to take strong pain killers knows it's hard to.."finish" on opiates. 

It seems that Gregor always has all of his men do "follow up" rapes. If he himself were either sterile or impotent, this would increase the likelihood that offspring could result, covering up Gregor's insufficiency. Plus the man seems to love torture - doing it, watching it, etc. Watching rapes would probably fit right into that category.

On the (admittedly thin) plus side, this would mean that there would be no more future Gregors strewn across the 7 kingdoms - a good thing.

19 hours ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

At this point it's about as obvious as R+L=J. GRRM has been hinting at it in the most blunt ways possible. He's also said we'd get to SEE Hodor's ancestor.. which.. I don't know what that could possibly mean except for it being Dunk.

11 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Just a theory. There's more to support the idea that Brienne is the promised Dunk descendant, than that Hodor is.

They're both apparently descendant from Dunk. 

4 hours ago, The Mountain that Cries said:

In what way do you mean finish. Cause I am positive the mountain gets what he wants when he wants even if that means gettin his fix.

Climax would be the better word then finish I guess. I'll try to be as clinical as possible with the wording. A person on a heavy dose of opiates can have a very hard time ejaculating. Don't believe me look it up.

Maybe there are maybe there are not. But as mentioned there's no reason to think that just like other father-son relations in the story, any descendents of the Mountain could go from 180 opposites to pretty near. But given that they would spend little time with their father and much time with their mother, or so I would think, odds are that in terms of nurture they wouldn't get much from the Mountain except maybe hatred for what he did to their mother.

On 4/28/2017 at 0:03 AM, Renly's Banana said:

I thought it was settled that Brienne was the dunk descendant. I never paid much much attention to the whole thing.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:55 PM, Maester Saramello said:

He killed them either by accident or on purpose . He is not a gentle person .

Archived