Bowen Marsh is an idiot (Spoilers)

Canon Claude

By the end of ADWD, Marsh and his fellow conspirators have put themselves in a position which they will not survive longer than an hour at most. And this is regardless of whether Jon Snow survives or not.

First of all, Jon Snow's supporters are all along the Wall, rebuilding fortifications. They will not take kindly to Jon's assassination, and will never take orders from Marsh and whoever replaces Snow. From Marsh's perspective, they will be very hard to subdue, given the enormity of his crime and also the lack of manpower loyal to him.

Secondly, Stannis's men will never back him. King Stannis had deals with Snow, and took his advice. He presumably left them orders to obey Snow's commands since Jon was able to send Stannis's soldiers to different forts. They will certainly stay neutral and keep Stannis' family safe. Or, given Melisandre's position amongst them and given Melisandre's opinion of Jon and his shared cause with Stannis, they might even be galvanized to avenge Jon and replace him with a like minded man like Edd or Iron Emmett.

Thirdly, the free folk are all completely pro-Jon. Thousands of warriors are at the Wall, loyal to the man who took them in. Tormund and the other chiefs have all made their allegiance well known. It won't be long before they find out what Marsh and the others did, and those men will suffer grievously for it.

TLDR version: Marsh and the others who murdered Jon are not long for this world. They have no friends at Castle Black, they're surrounded by Jon's friends, and they will all be furious when they find out what happened. What the hell was Marsh thinking?

11 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

By the end of ADWD, Marsh and his fellow conspirators have put themselves in a position which they will not survive longer than an hour at most. And this is regardless of whether Jon Snow survives or not.

First of all, Jon Snow's supporters are all along the Wall, rebuilding fortifications. They will not take kindly to Jon's assassination, and will never take orders from Marsh and whoever replaces Snow. From Marsh's perspective, they will be very hard to subdue, given the enormity of his crime and also the lack of manpower loyal to him.

Secondly, Stannis's men will never back him. King Stannis had deals with Snow, and took his advice. He presumably left them orders to obey Snow's commands since Jon was able to send Stannis's soldiers to different forts. They will certainly stay neutral and keep Stannis' family safe. Or, given Melisandre's position amongst them and given Melisandre's opinion of Jon and his shared cause with Stannis, they might even be galvanized to avenge Jon and replace him with a like minded man like Edd or Iron Emmett.

Thirdly, the free folk are all completely pro-Jon. Thousands of warriors are at the Wall, loyal to the man who took them in. Tormund and the other chiefs have all made their allegiance well known. It won't be long before they find out what Marsh and the others did, and those men will suffer grievously for it.

TLDR version: Marsh and the others who murdered Jon are not long for this world. They have no friends at Castle Black, they're surrounded by Jon's friends, and they will all be furious when they find out what happened. What the hell was Marsh thinking?

Marsh wasn't thinking: he saw the destruction of the order he was so loyal to and it broke him. That's why he was crying as he killed his own Lord Commander. It was the worst kind of treason, but Bowen was in such a moral quandary that it was the only action that he saw might save the Night's Watch. Of course he wasn't being rational: fanatics aren't rational about the subject of their allegiance. It's all or nothing in their eyes.

It's not as simple as you think.

I'd say the black brothers left behind at Castle Black are all pretty much in line with Marsh's thinking. Jon sent most of his loyal followers to other forts along the wall, as you said. On the one hand, it's smart because it means the men at the other forts will most likely stay loyal, but it also means that Jon is left with the men he has to keep a closer eye on.

Also Jon just declared that he's going to send men of the Nights Watch to save wildlings at Hardhome, and they're to be commanded by Tormund Giantsbane of all people. Not only that, he's going to leave Castle Black and avenge King Stannis by marching on Winterfell. That's a violation of his vows in the worst way possible.

That will alienate pretty much all of the Night's Watch from him. Sure, they're outnumbered by the wildlings by far, but it's still going to be a fierce battle raging inside Castle Black. Stannis' men will be too busy keeping Selyse and Shireen safe, never mind them taking part in a battle like that. I'm sure we'll pretty much see the Nights' Watch at Castle Black exterminated by vengeful wildlings, and then utter chaos will spread elsewhere until the Others arrive to a Wall that is completely in disarray.

Bowen Marsh and Co are most certainly not going to survive the fallout from this. But "lack of survival" is not the same as "idiot". Bowem Marsh is more of an action hero who dies valiantly in the end in the struggle with the evil authoritarian. The movie Gladiator comes to mind. Sometimes dying are necessary.

After hearing Jons clear betrayal of the Night´s watch in his shieldhall speech (Seriously, just think on whast impact those words must have on his sworn brothers - Yeah, I sort of backed Stannis who is now dead, And I also sent Mance, who btw is alive and well, to steal the bride of the Lord paramounts son, who just happens to be my sister I really, really shouldn´t care about as LC. So the Boltons, the legal authority in the North, want me extra dead. But I am going to fight the evil Boltons south of the wall with an army of wildlings and you black brothers will still do the incredible risky and suicidal Hardhome mission under the command of your enemy Tormund), Bowen knew he had to act fast. Otherwise two groups are going to leave to do two monumentally stupid missions that most likely even one of those groups 100% united could fix. So, in order to save the watch from what he saw as it imminent destruction, he was willing to most likely sacrifice himself and his men to end the madness. Because, if not the wildlings or Jon Snow's supporters take him, then some authority like Stannis, Daenerys or Aegon simply can´t let what Bowen did stand. And Bowen knows this. Yet still performs the action.

Bowen was/is in a position whose demands were/are beyond his abilities, so he's doing (what he viewes as) the best he can. 

As others on this thread have already pointed out, Jon's actions aren't that hard to cast in a non-heroic light when you take away the objectivity we naturally have as readers of his story. That makes Bowen's situation, in turn, incredibly complicated and tenuous. It's not that hard to see how a straightforward guy could decide to do what he did. And straightforward does not equate perfectly to stupid.

Even without counting Jon's friends on the Wall, that single enraged giant whose life Jon saved seems to be pretty bad news for the assassins. 

According to a brilliant theory proposed by @bemused, Marsh and Co may have planned to have Jon assassinated during the Hardhome mission. After all, all sorts of things can happen beyond the Wall, and they wouldn't even be the first ones to have this idea. When Jon changed his plans, however, they also had to change theirs, rather quickly (before Jon would be out of their reach), and the new plan was not particularly sophisticated. By the way, even Mance knows that Marsh is not a great strategist at all, nor does Marsh seem to be good at thinking ahead - though his tears during the assassination attempt strongly imply that he knows he is in great danger at the moment, so he is probably clever enough to realize that.

In addition, Marsh seems to be a follower rather than a true leader type. @bemusedalso suggests that there may be a secret mastermind behind the plans, someone who doesn't mind sacrificing Marsh and others. Before leaving the Wall, Alliser Thorne warned Jon that he would be back ... dead or alive - and he didn't seem to be keen on the "dead" version, so he may have just made it sure that he would make it back alive (secretly) before he could be killed. In this case, Marsh may be following Thorne's plan now. 

48 minutes ago, Protagoras said:

Bowen Marsh and Co are most certainly not going to survive the fallout from this. But "lack of survival" is not the same as "idiot". Bowem Marsh is more of an action hero who dies valiantly in the end in the struggle with the evil authoritarian. The movie Gladiator comes to mind. Sometimes dying are necessary.

After hearing Jons clear betrayal of the Night´s watch in his shieldhall speech (Seriously, just think on whast impact those words must have on his sworn brothers - Yeah, I sort of backed Stannis who is now dead, And I also sent Mance, who btw is alive and well, to steal the bride of the Lord paramounts son, who just happens to be my sister I really, really shouldn´t care about as LC. So the Boltons, the legal authority in the North, want me extra dead. But I am going to fight the evil Boltons south of the wall with an army of wildlings and you black brothers will still do the incredible risky and suicidal Hardhome mission under the command of your enemy Tormund), Bowen knew he had to act fast. Otherwise two groups are going to leave to do two monumentally stupid missions that most likely even one of those groups 100% united could fix. So, in order to save the watch from what he saw as it imminent destruction, he was willing to most likely sacrifice himself and his men to end the madness. Because, if not the wildlings or Jon Snow's supporters take him, then some authority like Stannis, Daenerys or Aegon simply can´t let what Bowen did stand. And Bowen knows this. Yet still performs the action.

Jon didn't said anything you have mentioned. He just read the pink letter which clearly threatened jon and nights watch and stated his intentions to meet Bolton with sword.Now if we think about that, doesn't it seems strange that marsh and co instantly believed the pink letter and held jon responsible because no one knows that mance is alive other than snow amd malisandre.so to any one else the whole pink letter material should look like false propaganda. So marsh should have asked about authenticity of letters accusations. Instead he decided to stab his lord commander. Seems to me he was plaming it well before, the letter incident just forced his hand. 

2 hours ago, Protagoras said:

Excellent post.

Don't forget that one of Marsh's major concerns was how the Iron Throne was going to react to what Jon had been doing. It's not as simple as "oh Jon ruined the watch" or "Jon broke his vows" or any of the other excuses one could come up with. Marsh had realm politics in mind when he did this, which violates his own vows.

If Bowen Marsh had really, truly, and deeply felt that he doing the right thing, it wouldn't have just been him and three other guys under cover of darkness, while there was a massive diversion going on. They chose the secret way, which in this case is also the cowards' way. If he'd believed that right was on his side he would have tried to convince everyone at CB to un-elect Jon and arrest him for his crimes against the Watch. The Watch punishes their own. Bowen Marsh would never have the guts to dispense justice the way Ned Stark did and Jon does. He can only stab someone at night, and with other people helping him so he can tell himself it wasn't his blade that killed the Lord Commander. 

To the people saying that Marsh was likely planning to kill Jon for a while and acted out of desperation when he planned to leave, Marsh still picked the stupidest time to kill Jon. If Marsh was going to kill Jon regardless, why not at least let him go lead the free folk against the Boltons? Whether he lives or dies, Jon and most of the wilding threat is out of the picture, which then allows for Marsh and his allies to kill Tormund on the way to Hardhome, turn around, march back to Castle Black and send ravens declaring Jon Snow a traitor. Someone would eventually get a hold of Jon and execute him. Or he'd die in battle against the Boltons. Win win either way for Marsh, who then takes the position of Lord Commander guilt free. At least, from his perspective anyway.

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

You don't know that, it was obviously that Jon had violated the fundamental rule of the Night's Watch

Again you don't know that, this was an internal affair of Night's Watch

This was true, but majority of Night's Watch and Stannis's people h fundamental ated wildlings, so a revolt of wilding would rally Night Watch around Bowen Marsh

The final point is that Bowen believe it was right thing to do to kill Jon Snow, it was not personal, he was just doing his duty, he did not really care the consequence

26 minutes ago, marsyao said:

This was true, but majority of Night's Watch and Stannis's people h fundamental ated wildlings, so a revolt of wilding would rally Night Watch around Bowen Marsh

The final point is that Bowen believe it was right thing to do to kill Jon Snow, it was not personal, he was just doing his duty, he did not really care the consequence

Even if 100% of Castle Black's Nights Watch and Stannis men all rallied to Bowen, they'd be horribly outnumbered and slain immediately. The rest of the forts would fall soon after.

25 minutes ago, marsyao said:

You don't know that, it was obviously that Jon had violated the fundamental rule of the Night's Watch

Again you don't know that, this was an internal affair of Night's Watch

Actually, rereading Feast and Dance I've realized Jon didn't actually break any rules of the Night's Watch; unless the oath to not take part in the affairs of the realm means they can't defend themselves against an attack from the south; which is why it was literally only a handful of the brothers that were involved in the mutiny. If Denys Mallister and Cotter Pyke and other respected men like Iron Emmett and Edd don't support the mutiny then the majority of the watch won't either, particularly as most of the men have a lot of respect for Jon. It's really only the senior leadership in Castle Black itself that has a problem with him.

The majority of the NW, even if they were unhappy with Jon's leadership, will still condemn Marsh for the murder of a brother and for mutinying  their LC.

Given that Melisandre is very much a supporter of Jon and that Jon was a) housing them, which Marsh or Yarwyk probably won't do, and b)advising them, then it's a good guess that the Queen's Men will choose neutrality or to take out the traitors.

Even with all of the Queen's Men and the NW, they're still horribly outnumbered, and their is already a giant loose in Castle Black who owes his life to Jon Snow. This one won't fall as easily as Mag.

This is an outrage, Canon Claude.  Your words are scandalous and untrue, sir.  I am most offended.

I, sir, am a loyal man of the watch.  I have served faithfully for many years.  What I did, I did to protect the Night's Watch from our mad lord commander, Jon Snow.  That boy's crimes are unforgivable.  He had to be stopped for the good of the realm.

• He was capably advised not to let the Wildlings through.  He didn't listen.  Our food stores will no longer last as long as we had planned with those extra mouths to feed.  We had to, he says, because they will turn into wights and attack the wall.  I say bull's ass, sir.  We have no proof that the White Walkers are interested in attacking the Wall. None.  Only the words of a former brother turned traitor.  Have the WW shown any interest in attacking the wall?  No. 
  • He was capably advised not to waste men by sending them to Hardhome.  He didn't listen. 
  • He executed our sworn brother, Janos Slynt for refusing to obey orders, at first.  I thought it harsh but let it go.  As long as punishment is handed out fairly there is justice. 
  • The Pink Letter arrived and Jon Snow's illegal activities are brought to the light.  He allowed the biggest and the worst criminal that the North had ever seen escape justice just because the man was needed to save his sister from a legal marriage.  So Jon executes Slynt for his crimes and then allows the worst criminal at the Wall to live.  Why?  Because of personal reasons.  That's a perversion of justice. 
  • Jon and Mance planned the attack on the Boltons.  Stealing the wife of a nobleman is an act of war, sir.  Mance asked for six women to accompany him.  It is clear the men knew they would have to infiltrate Winterfell. 
  • Jon's agent, Mance, presented himself as the traveling bard, Abel and the six female armed warriors as his women.   The Boltons took them in as guests and they sheltered under his protection.  They ate from his table and ate of his food.  Those wildlings murdered the men of their hosts.  That, sir, is an extreme violation of the laws of guest rights.
  • Jon starts making appointments and gives positions of rank to unwashed Wildlings, while men who served and bled for the watch were passed over.  Men who have never known soap and clean water now outrank many good and loyal men of the watch.  Wildling savages who have never wiped their rectal regions after doing the #2 now command men who have taken their vows decades ago.
  • We got called to the Shield Hall and the truth of the matter was brought to the light.  Jon proceeds to put together an attack party of Wildlings for the purpose of attacking Winterfell.  Lord Bolton makes a conditional threat.  Comply, and he will trouble us no more, even forgive Jon's preemptive attack on House Bolton.  Instead of promising to comply, his hands now caught between his butt cheeks, Jon proceeds to outline his intentions to ride out and attack the Boltons.  These are the very people we have sworn to protect.  The bastard boy was about to make the problem that he created much, much worse. 
  • What good are those Wildlings that we allowed through if they leave the Wall to fight Jon's personal battle with Lord Bolton?  Nothing.  Better not to have brought them through the Wall at all.  Even if we are blessed they suffer 100% casualty including Jon, we are still stuck with the wildling women and children. 
  • I had no other way to stop our bat-shit crazy lord commander.  He surrounded himself with Wildlings.  He was crazy in love with his little sister and no words from me or anybody was going to change his mind.  He had to be stopped and the only way was to execute him.  Jon Snow was the worst lord commander that the NW has ever had.  Worse than his ancestor, the Night's King. 
  • Now, if we can only find his wolf and kill him too to prevent that skin changing betrayer from finding refuge. 

For the watch,

Bowen Marsh

6 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Even if 100% of Castle Black's Nights Watch and Stannis men all rallied to Bowen, they'd be horribly outnumbered and slain immediately. The rest of the forts would fall soon after.

Don't see how, not many armed and trained wildling were at the scene, other wildling did not have good armor and weapon.

1 hour ago, Bowen Marsh said:

This is an outrage, Canon Claude.  Your words are scandalous and untrue, sir.  I am most offended.

I, sir, am a loyal man of the watch.  I have served faithfully for many years.  What I did, I did to protect the Night's Watch from our mad lord commander, Jon Snow.  That boy's crimes are unforgivable.  He had to be stopped for the good of the realm.

• He was capably advised not to let the Wildlings through.  He didn't listen.  Our food stores will no longer last as long as we had planned with those extra mouths to feed.  We had to, he says, because they will turn into wights and attack the wall.  I say bull's ass, sir.  We have no proof that the White Walkers are interested in attacking the Wall. None.  Only the words of a former brother turned traitor.  Have the WW shown any interest in attacking the wall?  No. 
  • He was capably advised not to waste men by sending them to Hardhome.  He didn't listen. 
  • He executed our sworn brother, Janos Slynt for refusing to obey orders, at first.  I thought it harsh but let it go.  As long as punishment is handed out fairly there is justice. 
  • The Pink Letter arrived and Jon Snow's illegal activities are brought to the light.  He allowed the biggest and the worst criminal that the North had ever seen escape justice just because the man was needed to save his sister from a legal marriage.  So Jon executes Slynt for his crimes and then allows the worst criminal at the Wall to live.  Why?  Because of personal reasons.  That's a perversion of justice. 
  • Jon and Mance planned the attack on the Boltons.  Stealing the wife of a nobleman is an act of war, sir.  Mance asked for six women to accompany him.  It is clear the men knew they would have to infiltrate Winterfell. 
  • Jon's agent, Mance, presented himself as the traveling bard, Abel and the six female armed warriors as his women.   The Boltons took them in as guests and they sheltered under his protection.  They ate from his table and ate of his food.  Those wildlings murdered the men of their hosts.  That, sir, is an extreme violation of the laws of guest rights.
  • Jon starts making appointments and gives positions of rank to unwashed Wildlings, while men who served and bled for the watch were passed over.  Men who have never known soap and clean water now outrank many good and loyal men of the watch.  Wildling savages who have never wiped their rectal regions after doing the #2 now command men who have taken their vows decades ago.
  • We got called to the Shield Hall and the truth of the matter was brought to the light.  Jon proceeds to put together an attack party of Wildlings for the purpose of attacking Winterfell.  Lord Bolton makes a conditional threat.  Comply, and he will trouble us no more, even forgive Jon's preemptive attack on House Bolton.  Instead of promising to comply, his hands now caught between his butt cheeks, Jon proceeds to outline his intentions to ride out and attack the Boltons.  These are the very people we have sworn to protect.  The bastard boy was about to make the problem that he created much, much worse. 
  • What good are those Wildlings that we allowed through if they leave the Wall to fight Jon's personal battle with Lord Bolton?  Nothing.  Better not to have brought them through the Wall at all.  Even if we are blessed they suffer 100% casualty including Jon, we are still stuck with the wildling women and children. 
  • I had no other way to stop our bat-shit crazy lord commander.  He surrounded himself with Wildlings.  He was crazy in love with his little sister and no words from me or anybody was going to change his mind.  He had to be stopped and the only way was to execute him.  Jon Snow was the worst lord commander that the NW has ever had.  Worse than his ancestor, the Night's King. 
  • Now, if we can only find his wolf and kill him too to prevent that skin changing betrayer from finding refuge. 

For the watch,

Bowen Marsh

Yes, how DARE someone take advantage of the Boltons' hospitality! That pure and innocent house of Bolton, who seek only to provide the world with all the 80s soft pop music we could ever need!

And forget asking any of those miserable wildlings about how deadly the Others are, and what they'll do to the humans if they get past the Wall! But who's gonna trust the word of thousands of men, women, or children, right? Nah, they're not clean and good like the various rapists, thieves, and murderers that make up the Night's Watch.

Let's make it official:

Bowen of House Marsh, I name you bigot.

12 hours ago, Protagoras said:

1 hour ago, Bowen Marsh said:

For the watch,

Bowen Marsh

Just want to say that these two posts are great. Especially you Bowen.

To understand why Bowen Marsh did what he did, it is necessary to look back at several previous scenes in the story. The beginning of events leading up to Bowen Marsh stabbing Jon starts in Chapter 32 - ASOS:

Pycelle cleared his throat, which involved a deal of coughing and hawking. "The letter is from the same Bowen Marsh who sent the last. The castellan. He writes that Lord Mormont has sent word of wildlings moving south in vast numbers."
"The lands beyond the Wall cannot support vast numbers," said Lord Tywin firmly. "This warning is not new."
"This last is, my lord. Mormont sent a bird from the haunted forest, to report that he was under attack. More ravens have returned since, but none with letters. This Bowen Marsh fears Lord Mormont slain, with all his strength."
Tyrion had rather liked old Jeor Mormont, with his gruff manner and talking bird. "Is this certain?" he asked.
"It is not," Pycelle admitted, "but none of Mormont's men have returned as yet. Marsh fears the wildlings have killed them, and that the Wall itself may be attacked next." He fumbled in his robe and found the paper. "Here is his letter, my lord, a plea to all five kings. He want men, as many men as we can send him."
"Five kings?" His father was annoyed. "There is only one king in Westeros. Those fools in black may try and remember that if they wish His Grace to heed them. When you reply, tell him Renly is dead and the others are traitors and pretenders."
"No doubt they will be glad to learn it. The Wall is a world apart, and news oft reaches them late." Pycelle bobbed his head up and down. "What shall I tell Marsh concerning the men he begs for? Shall we convene the council..."
"There is no need. The Night's Watch is a pack of thieves, killers, and baseborn churls, but it occurs to me that they could prove otherwise, given proper discipline. If Mormont is indeed dead, the black brothers must choose a new Lord Commander."
Pycelle gave Tyrion a sly glance. "An excellent thought, my lord. I know the very man. Janos Slynt."
Tyrion liked that notion not at all. "The black brother choose their own commander," he reminded them. "Lord Slynt is new to the Wall. I know, I sent him there. Why should they pick him over a dozen more senior men?"
"Because," his father said, in a tone that suggested Tyrion was quite a simpleton, "if they do not vote as they are told, their Wall will melt before it sees another man."
Yes, that would work. Tyrion hitched forward. "Janos Slynt is the wrong man, Father. We'd do better with the commander of the Shadow Tower. Or Eastwatch-by-the-Sea."
"The commander of the Shadow Tower is a Mallister of Seagard. Eastwatch is held by an ironman." Neither would serve his purposes, Lord Tywin's tone said clear enough.
"Janos Slynt is a butcher's son," Tyrion reminded his father forcefully. "You yourself told me--"
"I recall what I told you. Castle Black is not Harrenhal, however. The Night's Watch is not the king's council. There is a tool for every task, and a task for every tool."
Tyrion's anger flashed. "Lord Janos is a hollow suit of armor who will sell himself to the highest bidder."
"I count that a point in his favor. Who is like to bid higher than us?" He turned to Pycelle. "Send a raven. Write that King Joffrey was deeply saddened to hear of Lord Commander Mormont's death, but regrets that he can spare no men just now, whilst so many rebels and usurpers remain in the field. Suggest that matters might be quite different once the throne is secure ... provided the king has full confidence in the leadership of the Watch. In closing, ask Marsh to pass along His Grace's fondest regards to his faithful friend and servant, Lord Janos Slynt."
"Yes, my lord." Pycelle bobbed his withered head once more. "I shall write as the Hand commands. With great pleasure."

This is a very long quote, but it is essential to understand what happens in this quote to understand why Bowen Marsh did what he did. In this quote, Tywin tells Pycelle to send a message threatening the Night's Watch that if they don't do what he wants, he will send no more men to the Wall. What he wants is for the Watch to choose Janos Slynt as their new Lord Commander. Furthermore, Tywin aims this message directly at Marsh.

Does Marsh get the message? Yes, he does. We learn that when Bowen Marsh leaves to go deal with some wildlings, he places Janos Slynt in charge of Castle Black until his return (ASOS – Chapter 69):

“Ser,” snapped the jowly man. “You will address Ser Alliser as ser, and myself as m'lord. I am Janos Slynt, Lord of Harrenhal, and commander here at Castle Black until such time as Bowen Marsh returns with his garrison. You will grant us our courtesies, yes. I will not suffer to hear an anointed knight like the good Ser Alliser mocked by a traitor's bastard.”...

Then we see Marsh's fear of Slynt not being named Lord Commander in this scene where Thorne and Marsh are trying to convince Yarwick to support Slynt (ASOS – Chapter 79):

The sound of voices echoing off the vaulted ceiling brought him back to Castle Black. “I don't know,” a man was saying, in a voice thick with doubts. “Maybe if I knew the man better ... Lord Stannis didn't have much good to say of him, I'll tell you that.”

“When has Stannis Baratheon ever had much good to say of anyone?” Ser Alliser's flinty voice was unmistakable. “If we let Stannis choose our Lord Commander, we become his bannerman in all but name. Tywin Lannister is not like to forget that, and you know it will be Lord Tywin who wins in the end. He's already beaten Stannis once, on the Blackwater.”

“Lord Tywin favors Slynt,” said Bowen Marsh, in a fretful, anxious voice. “I can show you his letter, Othell. 'Our faithful friend and servant,' he called him.”

So, Bowen Marsh got Tywin's message loud and clear. Furthermore, he was frightened of what would happen if the Night's Watch didn't give Tywin what he wanted. After Slynt was executed, Marsh continued to worry about the response of the Iron Throne (ADWD – Chapter 10):

Marsh hesitated. “Lord Snow, I am not one to bear tales, but there has been talk that you are becoming too ... too friendly with Lord Stannis. Some even suggest that you are ... a ...”

A rebel and turncloak, aye, and a bastard and a warg as well. Janos Slynt might be gone, but his lies lingered. “I know what they say.” Jon had heard the whispers, had seen men turn away when he crossed the yard. “What would they have me do, take up swords against Stannis and the wildlings both? His Grace has thrice the fighting men we do, and is our guest besides. The laws of hospitality protect him. And we owe him and his a debt.”

“Lord Stannis helped us when we needed help,” Marsh said doggedly, “but he is still a rebel, and his cause is doomed. As doomed as we'll be if the Iron Throne marks us down as traitors. We must be certain that we do not choose the losing side.”

When the pink letter arrives saying Stannis is dead and Jon indicates he will not comply with the demands in the letter, Marsh and the others stab Jon in an attempt to show the Iron Throne that Jon was the problem, not the rest of the Night's Watch. They hope this action will save the Night's Watch from the wrath of the Iron Throne. This is why they say, "For the Watch." Marsh has calculated that the greatest threat comes from the Iron Throne and complying with the orders of the Boltons is the most important thing. Does this make him an idiot? I'm not sure, I guess it could be debated. But understanding what it is that makes Marsh act the way he does is the single most important issue in that debate.

Archived