Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2: The Groot Strikes Back

Werthead

23 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Just watched the RLM review and they on the whole very much liked it. I generally tend to agree with them, and though I did like the movie as well, most of the things they said the movie did well I just can't say I agree with. 

Their assertion that the movie doesn't just 'give characters stuff to do' (like a lot of other movies do) but instead weaves their plots together.. well I can't say thats entirely true. In fact most of the characters storylines felt totally disconnected from each other. Gammora and Nebulas family tiff was mostly irrelevant, Yonda and Rocket were on a sort of side adventure for most of the plot. Draxx was just hanging around being funny. It didn't feel like it was hugely coherent. 

The movie also has an enormous, too much CGI big bad battle at the end like all the other movies the RLM guys rip into, so I wasn't sure why they gave this one a pass.

Because it was a character driven movie and not a plot driven movie. Take Rogue One for example a movie the RLM guys actively hate. They don't like that movie because Jyn is not an active protagonist, but a passive one. Jyn never once moves the plot forward, but instead is just randomly thrown into the plot, time and time again. Also she completely acts out of character towards the end of the film. Instead of being angry and hating the rebellion for using her to try and murder her father, she suddenly tries to help them get the plans.

Now compare that to this movie. Everything fits into place and the characters drive the plot the plot doesn't drive the characters. Heck even a few chekhov's guns from the first film have payoff's in the sequel; let's face it Peter's dad certainly was an jackass like Yondu said. Ego was also a really great villain, something the MCU doesn't have many of, though for me personally Yondu stole the show.

Is it just me or did GotGv2 have the most entertaining end credits in the history of cinema?

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

...I liked that they weaved a character driven plot with them still doing their jobs as Guardians and saving the galaxy. The humor was fantastic, but that is where I missed stuff, so I spent part of my viewing annoyed. The movie is excellent enough that it merits repeat viewings. I'll probably end up getting it on Amazon, as I did with the first one. 

I agree that it merits multiple viewings for the little details that are scattered throughout. I saw it in IMAX 3D on opening night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't think the story and pacing was as strong as vol.1, but this was packed full of wonderful character moments and CGI. I'll also be buying this on BR when it hits home video. I rewatched vol.1 on BR before seeing vol.2 and it looked fantastic. I also ended up listening to James Gunn's director commentary and it was pretty entertaining.

6 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Just watched the RLM review and they on the whole very much liked it. I generally tend to agree with them, and though I did like the movie as well, most of the things they said the movie did well I just can't say I agree with...

I saw this up earlier today and will likely watch it later. They're getting kinda played out with all their general shitting on Star Wars and other youtube review shows. Mike & Jay can give some good insight (those Plinkett prequel analyses are legend) so I try to stick through the negativity in hopes of catching something worthwhile.

*edit*

So I watched their review and I called it--beginning and end of the video was just crapping on studio films and youtubers in general. They liked the film, but not much insight to go around. Mostly they just reacted sarcastically to their commenter critics.  Meh.

Saw it today.  It late (thanks Yankees!), so I'll just say I never thought in all my life I would watch Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" play as the end to a (the?) major Hollywood Summer movie.  It obviously didn't have the magic of the first one, but still manages to mix fun and heart better than any other current comic book movie going.  Also, it managed to give every character their own discernible arc in the film - while incorporating Nebula and Rooker's character - which is quite impressive.

I saw it Saturday and liked it. For reference my only knowledge of GoTG is the original movie. I thought it was well done and allows people like me to be able to follow the characters pretty well. You don't need origin stories to understand who these people are and why they do the things they do. I definitely enjoy the music that is used throughout the movie, the opening action sequence kind of reminded me of two others. An X men movie with the fast kid and they break into the Pentagon (I think) and a sequence from Legion.

Loved garbage Panda btw

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Is it just me or did GotGv2 have the most entertaining end credits in the history of cinema?

It certainly had the most entertaining opening credits I've ever seen. :)

Gunn: You liked Dancing Baby Groot in a pot? Hold my beer. 

Yeah, I probably laughed harder than necessary, but I loved the silly dancing with all the action happening in the background. Even when Groot froze when Drax looked at him.

9 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

They were good, but honestly, I did not care that much for the end credits. The one with the Adam pod was interesting as you know that's going to come into play, the rest were humorous, but nothing special. I was mostly disappointed with the final one, as I was expecting a tie in with the next Avengers. Surely the Avengers noticed the big goo that had nearly enveloped a Missouri town, and would start asking questions.

But I do agree with others here, that the opening credits were among the best ever. I enjoyed the continuation of the joke with Groot standing still when Drax watches him. And the movie even expanded of that by revealing that Drax doesn't like dancing, and maybe Groot just doesn't want Drax to have a reason to dislike him.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I was mostly disappointed with the final one, as I was expecting a tie in with the next Avengers. Surely the Avengers noticed the big goo that had nearly enveloped a Missouri town, and would start asking questions.

Agreed, that was a missed opportunity.  Coulda just been Coulson or Fury showing up and being like "WTF?  Looks like we have to call the ghostbusters!"

41 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Agreed, that was a missed opportunity.  Coulda just been Coulson or Fury showing up and being like "WTF?  Looks like we have to call the ghostbusters!"

I would love that, but absolutely no fucking chance. 

Can't remember were the dates exactly specified? I suspect in one of them they were, but if not you could retroactively shunt GotG1 into 2017. Is the time between films also generally canonical? They're clearly not exact, what with IM3 coming out in the summer and being set at Christmas.

And I'm not sure, but I get the feeling Dr Strange and Civil War were happening fairly concurrently, if not the other way around, what with Thor's cameo at the end. This'll likely be cleared up in Ragnarok, and I'll be wildly wrong.

Minor niggles though.

Tim, this was like a GEICO ad that took a "closer look" at the galaxy by zooming in on people's emotions.   I guess that's never really impressive.  (Source: geico ads).  Well it's  a better use of our time when it reveals something new (this only confirmed the emotions we already knew they had, or could easily guess.)   

So, good times.  Overall.  Like an easy drinking beer, they shrunk the galaxy some to give us streamlined lightweight fun that I found easy to enjoy without being super amazed.   (people who are freshly exposed to....the villian... may get a nice dose of amazement from that concept, to be fair).   Theme Focus was on liking what you've got instead of looking all over creation for validation you won't find outside of yourself.  Helpful message, no?  

......oh, and they drew too much attention to their formula, with repetitions of the Footloose banter ("dance-is-life") and another whistling arrow of doom massacre when new content could have taken those spots.   Instead of a double dose of the new angry jerk aliens, why not show us the more interesting angry alien they only teased??   Saving stuff for Infinity??   I hope Nova makes an appearance then too at some point.  But hey, this villain was one big item on the wish list.  And FUN WAS HAD.   Liked it.

.........Uhhhhh, the Ragnarok preview didn't really look like the grandeur you'd expect of a norse Armageddon myth did it?  More like the MCU's take on the roller derby movie genre.

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

They were good, but honestly, I did not care that much for the end credits. The one with the Adam pod was interesting as you know that's going to come into play, the rest were humorous, but nothing special. I was mostly disappointed with the final one, as I was expecting a tie in with the next Avengers. Surely the Avengers noticed the big goo that had nearly enveloped a Missouri town, and would start asking questions.

But I do agree with others here, that the opening credits were among the best ever. I enjoyed the continuation of the joke with Groot standing still when Drax watches him. And the movie even expanded of that by revealing that Drax doesn't like dancing, and maybe Groot just doesn't want Drax to have a reason to dislike him.

14 hours ago, Myrddin said:

It certainly had the most entertaining opening credits I've ever seen. :)

Gunn: You liked Dancing Baby Groot in a pot? Hold my beer...

Agreed that the opening credits with Groot were great, but as far as what's usually just a giant list white names and titles scrolling on a black screen Gunn turned the closing credits into a smorgasbord of color and silliness (Jeff Goldblum dancing in a dot!). I'm not even talking about the scenes tacked in but the credits themselves with their color, animations, dancing characters, and little text Easter eggs popping in and out were just a joy to watch.

7 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I'm not even talking about the scenes tacked in but the credits themselves with their color, animations, dancing characters, and little text Easter eggs popping in and out were just a joy to watch.

Yeah, they were great. I can't believe people walked out of the cinema during them!

17 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I love love love love thus film watched it again last night and it's jus a joy and HILARIOUS.

My favourite bit was Groot's toe.

Like Red Snow I decided to watch the first film before seeing this one.

All in all film 2 left me with mixed feelings. The first hour was very entertaining, nice set up of characters and several very funny lines. Something that is almost a rarity in these sort of films and they pulled that off with these characters.

However for me the films goes well off the rails in the second hour. The "revelation" of the antagonist and why his plans are what they are is dull, it simply doesn't have any power. There's lots of stuff blowing up and nothing that I cared about. So much going on and you just feel disconnected. 

I do think it is significantly inferior to the first film. I thought Baby Groot was quite a fun character but as expected I would have much preferred to see first film Groot in action again. And I guess we will get that in Avengers next year as per the end credits.

I think you have to hand it to Gunn that this ensemble is more interesting as a group than all or almost all Marvel movie ensembles, but the story of this second film did not have a worthwhile payoff. It also feels very much like inventing antagonists and nothing of consequence happening, they are holding back on Thanos but are not able to come up with someone else in the meantime.

I really hate when I start thinking critically about a film that I liked for some mindless enjoyment.  GotG is just so fun.  But thought beyond that and it becomes such a shitty film.

Spoiler

Drax's laughs being all about horribly insulting a stunted and abused woman.  Yeah, yeah, they are perfect for each other because they are so socially awkward and different, but it's still laughs for misogynistic humor.  

Or

Spoiler

Peter coming to accept the man who enslaved him and abused him as his dad.  Cringe.

I mean, there's a lot more, but when I started describing the plot points to a friend because she needed to know if it had any triggering material for her kid, I started to feel really guilty that I enjoyed it so much that I'm going with said friend to see it again.

Drax is modern- forgivable because cretin and thus an example of how not to be.   A throwback to when people were weightier than PC and could pierce it at will.   It's when Drax is then revealed to have deeper thoughts underneath that the feminist may pause to wonder exactly how she's being spun here.   His gruff nature did seem to push the empath out of innocence to confront the moral failing of aiding a killer, and there was that frieze of both of them wading into their mental pain while staring into the beauty of the planet's landscape.    Both very still, as non- dancers grappling with their issues, perhaps due to the blunt pain tazering of Drax's commentary?   I didn't like the last shot about how she was still only beautiful on the inside, but consistent is funny and Drax would hold your feet to the fire consistently as he looked away from his own pain... or dwelled in it constantly and wants his friends to come along for the ride?    So.... hence the appeal of saying simply "fun movie!"

3 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Drax is modern- forgivable because cretin and thus an example of how not to be.   A throwback to when people were weightier than PC and could pierce it at will.   It's when Drax is then revealed to have deeper thoughts underneath that the feminist may pause to wonder exactly how she's being spun here.   His gruff nature did seem to push the empath out of innocence to confront the moral failing of aiding a killer, and there was that frieze of both of them wading into their mental pain while staring into the beauty of the planet's landscape.    Both very still, as non- dancers grappling with their issues, perhaps due to the blunt pain tazering of Drax's commentary?   I didn't like the last shot about how she was still only beautiful on the inside, but consistent is funny and Drax would hold your feet to the fire consistently as he looked away from his own pain... or dwelled in it constantly and wants his friends to come along for the ride?    So.... hence the appeal of saying simply "fun movie!"

I love how Drax was the only one who thought Yondu was Peter's "real" father. It's really quite touching.

The thing I found most weird was Sylvester Stallone... neither bad nor good.... just weird... seeing him in a Marvel flick is just really counter-intuitive for me... I don't know why I feel that way... and i don;t feel that way about Kurt Russell... its just not a move I ever thought Rocky would make... 

Archived