NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I hope things work out for him, divisional rival or not.

Hard to imagine it doesn't.  While I don't think he's a quality starter (assuming that he has regressed when I say that.  If you think it's purely team/injury, you may feel differently), I think he's a PREMIUM backup, especially for a team with a mobile QB. 

Ryan Grigson has found his level and joined the Browns as a personnel executive. Suppose they kind of took care of him in exchange for the Richardson trade?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/24/browns-hire-ryan-grigson/

I think it's great there's so much cross-pollination between these teams.

In which the Seattle Seahawks air their grievances.

It's fascinating to me, because in order for a team to succeed in the NFL, they need passion in addition to talent and discipline. But too much passion, and things can fall apart. It's amazing that Bill Belichick can maintain the balance for so long. It unfortunately seems to be falling apart in Seattle.

15 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

In which the Seattle Seahawks air their grievances.

It's fascinating to me, because in order for a team to succeed in the NFL, they need passion in addition to talent and discipline. But too much passion, and things can fall apart. It's amazing that Bill Belichick can maintain the balance for so long. It unfortunately seems to be falling apart in Seattle.

Sherman has always been an epic douche, a bully, and a shithead. He and Draymond Green should get DNA tests to see if they're long lost cousins.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Sherman has always been an epic douche, a bully, and a shithead. He and Draymond Green should get DNA tests to see if they're long lost cousins.

He shouldn't throw his QB and Head Coach under the bus like this to the press, that's for sure. That said, he has a point. The Seachickens were in position to win that Supeb Owl vs the Pats. That playcall was really bad.

39 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He shouldn't throw his QB and Head Coach under the bus like this to the press, that's for sure. That said, he has a point. The Seachickens were in position to win that Supeb Owl vs the Pats. That playcall was really bad.

Telling the truth and being a douche are not mutually exclusive.

7 hours ago, sperry said:

Just when I start to believe the Browns might know what they're doing.

Eh...Grigson to me seems like a classic case of the Peter Principle.  He got promoted one rung higher than he should have.  He won't be a GM on the Browns.  He'll essentially be a glorified scout, which is what he did that got him promoted in the first place.

Just now, briantw said:

Eh...Grigson to me seems like a classic case of the Peter Principle.  He got promoted one rung higher than he should have.  He won't be a GM on the Browns.  He'll essentially be a glorified scout, which is what he did that got him promoted in the first place.

Possibly true. Although the Colts biggest problem was talent deficiency during Grigson's rein. Their drafts were consistently atrocious, which you would expect would be in the wheel house of a personnel guy.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Possibly true. Although the Colts biggest problem was talent deficiency during Grigson's rein. Their drafts were consistently atrocious, which you would expect would be in the wheel house of a personnel guy.

I don't think it was so much that the drafts were atrocious but more that the team composition was bad.  They put a ton of weapons around Luck, but never gave him a competent offensive line or a great defense.

Also, didn't he win executive of the year in 2012?  I mean, I know he got Luck that year, but he also drafted Fleener, Allen, and Hilton.

Actually, that draft kind of summarizes his tenure as GM.  Lots of offensive weapons, not much else.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I don't think it was so much that the drafts were atrocious but more that the team composition was bad.  They put a ton of weapons around Luck, but never gave him a competent offensive line or a great defense.

Also, didn't he win executive of the year in 2012?  I mean, I know he got Luck that year, but he also drafted Fleener, Allen, and Hilton.

Actually, that draft kind of summarizes his tenure as GM.  Lots of offensive weapons, not much else.

And that's exactly why he was terrible at his job. A better GM would have tried to recreate the offense that Luck played in at Stanford. Luck was a master at manning a power run/play action offense. He shouldn't be out there throwing the ball 50 times a game behind a terrible O-Line. And more to that point, you've got to be a world class fool to not build a strong O-Line once you've gotten your franchise QB. Outside of the elite group of players, WRs and RBs can be interchangeable. O-Linemen are usually not. 

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And that's exactly why he was terrible at his job. A better GM would have tried to recreate the offense that Luck played in at Stanford. Luck was a master at manning a power run/play action offense. He shouldn't be out there throwing the ball 50 times a game behind a terrible O-Line. And more to that point, you've got to be a world class fool to not build a strong O-Line once you've gotten your franchise QB. Outside of the elite group of players, WRs and RBs can be interchangeable. O-Linemen are usually not. 

I wasn't disputing that he was a bad GM.  However, he seemed fine at the scouting portion of the job, just not at the team composition portion.  The Browns, though, aren't hiring him to be their GM and put together their team.  They're hiring him to scout.

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Bears sign Victor Cruz to a one year deal. I'm ok with this signing.

Mike Glennon is going to be fantasy GOLD next year

5 hours ago, briantw said:

I wasn't disputing that he was a bad GM.  However, he seemed fine at the scouting portion of the job, just not at the team composition portion.  The Browns, though, aren't hiring him to be their GM and put together their team.  They're hiring him to scout.

He looks like a good talent evaluator if you only look at 2012. Unfortunately for the Colts, he also got to make their picks through 2016. They've gotten like four useful players out of those drafts. 

On 5/22/2017 at 5:36 PM, Tywin et al. said:

We shall see. If nothing else, he can't be worse than Simms.

Also, why have you been so inactive lately? 

Oh, you know. Getting my masters, debating med school, holding my crumbling life together, and being back in the program.

That kind of shit.

On 5/24/2017 at 9:19 PM, DanteGabriel said:

Ryan Grigson has found his level and joined the Browns as a personnel executive. Suppose they kind of took care of him in exchange for the Richardson trade?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/05/24/browns-hire-ryan-grigson/

I think it's great there's so much cross-pollination between these teams.

I loathe you.

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

He looks like a good talent evaluator if you only look at 2012. Unfortunately for the Colts, he also got to make their picks through 2016. They've gotten like four useful players out of those drafts. 

LOATHE!!! 

you're totally right. Phillip Goddamn Dorsette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read a few times that the team could be much improved by dint of an improvement to a slightly-below-average defense, but I'm not buying it when it's half brownies.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I loathe you.

LOATHE!!! 

you're totally right. Phillip Goddamn Dorsette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read a few times that the team could be much improved by dint of an improvement to a slightly-below-average defense, but I'm not buying it when it's half brownies.

Oh but Jace -- you complete me!

For what it's worth, I think Sheard's not a bad pickup. I know he drifted in and out of Belichick's doghouse towards the end (sometimes I suspect these mysterious demotions are to avoid paying playing time incentives, because Belichick might be that ruthless) but he did good work for the Pats by my book.

Belichick's classic pattern is to find players whose teams weren't using right. He did it with Vrabel and Welker. Stands to reason he went for some Browns players (he probably had personnel insight from Mike Lombardi, whose warm relationship with Belichick perplexes me almost as much as Trump's), at least to kick the tires on guys who hadn't had competent, consistent coaching. This is also why he's been importing Rex Ryan era Bills players.

Archived