NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'm not sure that's true.

Last year, Cousins was better than Carr in the following categories: 

• Completion percentage (and that's with forty more passes than Carr)
  • Total yards
  • Yards per completion
  • QBR
  • Yards per attempt
  • Passer rating

I just don't really see the argument that Carr is significantly better, let alone better at all.  Carr threw for a few more touchdowns and a few less interceptions, but he also threw for 1000 less yards last year and completed around four percent less of his passes.  

Every site that I looked at had Carr in the 7-10 range and none had Kirk in the top 10. I know that's an arbitrary way to compare the two, but given that Carr is younger and looks to have a better arm, I think it's fair to say that Carr is an upgrade over Kirk, and it could be a significant one. As to the TD-Int ratios, Carr's wasn't just a little better, it was a lot. Carr put up 28-6 to Cousins' 25-12. That's not a minor difference. And while I can't find the specific stat I'm looking for, one of the top QB analysts said last year that Cousins threw more interceptable passes that weren't picked off than any other QB in the league. That's nothing to ignore. As to the rest of the stats, I've always argued that Cousins stats feel a bit empty and are not representative of his overall abilities. He'll be coming crashing back to Earth this year without some of those weapons and that great scheme. 

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He'll be coming crashing back to Earth this year without some of those weapons and that great scheme. 

People said he'd come crashing down to Earth last year too.  It didn't happen.  He's also still got plenty of weapons, especially if Doctson can stay healthy this year.

39 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

These are valid points, and I agree with everything except the bolded section. Washington is a middle of the road team, and they have an asset that could net more value then he provides. It's not an easy choice, but I'd pull the trigger on trade since it seemed like he wanted out of their anyways. 

It's important to remember that you don't just need talent, you need talent at value. If Cousins is your starting QB at $15m a year you're in a good spot. Double that and you're going to likely cripple the rest of your roster. 

I mean, what are you getting for him? If you get a godfather offer like teams get for the #1 overall pick, then sure.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I'm not sure that's true.

Last year, Cousins was better than Carr in the following categories: 

• Completion percentage (and that's with forty more passes than Carr)
  • Total yards
  • Yards per completion
  • QBR
  • Yards per attempt
  • Passer rating

I just don't really see the argument that Carr is significantly better, let alone better at all.  Carr threw for a few more touchdowns and a few less interceptions, but he also threw for 1000 less yards last year and completed around four percent less of his passes.  

Carr's offensive line was also probably the second best in the league which provided clean pockets and an effective running game. I can't believe that I'm saying this -- Rob Kelley is no Latavius Murray (they also had Richard, Washington, and Marcel Reece -- all of which may be better than Kelley).

15 hours ago, briantw said:

People said he'd come crashing down to Earth last year too.  It didn't happen.  He's also still got plenty of weapons, especially if Doctson can stay healthy this year.

Methinks there's a title bet somewhere in here. 

14 hours ago, briantw said:

:lol:

Brutal. That said, we had multiple guys who had break out years last year, so that's why he never saw the field. 

14 hours ago, sperry said:

I mean, what are you getting for him? If you get a godfather offer like teams get for the #1 overall pick, then sure.

My understanding is that the 49ers were willing to send a package that included the number 2 over all pick. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Methinks there's a title bet somewhere in here. 

Brutal. That said, we had multiple guys who had break out years last year, so that's why he never saw the field. 

My understanding is that the 49ers were willing to send a package that included the number 2 over all pick. 

That's not nearly enough.  Would need to be at least two first rounders plus other quality picks.

24 minutes ago, sperry said:

That's not nearly enough.  Would need to be at least two first rounders plus other quality picks.

In addition, the rumors of the #2 pick being available were always just rumors.  A lot of people doubted the Niners would even offer that much, when there's a decent chance they'd be able to pick up Cousins in 2018 on the open market. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's enough if you think he's walking. 

Well, that's completely different. I would assume he isn't walking if he gets a market value deal, but if he's gone then sure trade him.

1 minute ago, sperry said:

Well, that's completely different. I would assume he isn't walking if he gets a market value deal, but if he's gone then sure trade him.

And the team clearly wasn't planning on offering him a market value deal.  Soooo....

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As a Niners fan, what would you have given up to get Cousins? 

Considering that I assumed Washington was going to do exactly this?  Not much.  I'm impressed that Lynch didn't jump to do too much.

That being said, I fully recognize that there are not 32 starting QB caliber guys on the face of the Earth.  And Cousins is undeniably one of those.  The going rate for a guy like him really should be multiple firsts.  You know what you are getting.  This isn't the Rams mortgaging the future on a completely unknown commodity.  Honestly, there should be a real bidding war amongst 5 or 6 teams near the bottom of the league who do not have a QB on the roster.

45 minutes ago, sperry said:

And that's kind of where they are now. Since he didn't sign the deal, there's a good chance that he's walking at the end of the year. They might as well shop him around now. 

32 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Considering that I assumed Washington was going to do exactly this?  Not much.  I'm impressed that Lynch didn't jump to do too much.

That being said, I fully recognize that there are not 32 starting QB caliber guys on the face of the Earth.  And Cousins is undeniably one of those.  The going rate for a guy like him really should be multiple firsts.  You know what you are getting.  This isn't the Rams mortgaging the future on a completely unknown commodity.  Honestly, there should be a real bidding war amongst 5 or 6 teams near the bottom of the league who do not have a QB on the roster.

Yeah I think that's right. I wonder if the Bradford deal makes it a little harder to trade him, because Cousins is absolutely better than Bradford, but I don't think they'd get much more than what the Eagles got in return for him. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

And that's kind of where they are now. Since he didn't sign the deal, there's a good chance that he's walking at the end of the year. They might as well shop him around now. 

They didn't offer him a market value deal. If they offer him one, he is probably going to sign it. If they flat out don't want him, they are idiots, but they should be able to get a decent haul for him.

Archived