NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

I feel like going to NFL games is always less fun than I expect it to be.  Granted, I don't live in the city of the team I root for any more, so I am already not all that interested in going to games for that reason, but tickets are overpriced and drinks/food are heinously overpriced, not to mention that, if it's hot, it's horribly uncomfortable.

Generally speaking, I'd rather just go to a decent bar with a lot of TVs, get to see all the games instead of just one, and eat and drink for significantly cheaper.

BINGO. Or better still, drink and grill at home, invite a few friends over, etc. I rarely get a good feel for the game watching it live and in person. That said I think I've sat in primo seats maybe 2-3 times in my entire life. Even then I have to say I prefer the couch and a big screen.

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

BINGO. Or better still, drink and grill at home, invite a few friends over, etc. I rarely get a good feel for the game watching it live and in person. That said I think I've sat in primo seats maybe 2-3 times in my entire life. Even then I have to say I prefer the couch and a big screen.

I've only been to SF at Cincy in Harbaugh's first year and SF at Titans the year after the Super Bowl.

I actually liked the Cincy game best.

But in both situations, watching at home would have been preferable.

If you want to actually see what goes on at a game, being at the stadium is quite possibly the worst way you could ever do it. So many distractions, bad angles, bad replays, the announcers don't tell you what's going on or why, and the noise is insane.

It's a good experience to be part of that crowd (though I still think NFL crowds are nothing compared to a good college crowd), but it's incredibly shitty compared to watching it on a good TV. 

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I've only been to SF at Cincy in Harbaugh's first year and SF at Titans the year after the Super Bowl.

I actually liked the Cincy game best.

But in both situations, watching at home would have been preferable.

Yeah, the last two games I went to were during the last season at the Stick. I guess the bit I like the most is drinking and bullshitting with friends, and I can do that a lot cheaper at home or even at a bar, as briantw mentioned. And at the end of the day, I'm kind of a cheap bastard.

I much prefer the live NBA experience to the live NFL experience.  The NFL seems greatly improved by watching it on TV (this is especially true since a ton of games are typically played at the same time, so you miss less by watching on TV), whereas I think an NBA game when your team is good is an amazing experience live.  When I still lived in Ohio during LeBron's first tenure with the Cavs, those games were always electric (especially playoff games).  I'm sure it's the same now, although now when I go to Cavs games they're not the home team so I don't get to experience it.

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

If you want to actually see what goes on at a game, being at the stadium is quite possibly the worst way you could ever do it. So many distractions, bad angles, bad replays, the announcers don't tell you what's going on or why, and the noise is insane.

It's a good experience to be part of that crowd (though I still think NFL crowds are nothing compared to a good college crowd), but it's incredibly shitty compared to watching it on a good TV. 

Agreed. I don't think I've ever really been able to truly nail the narrative of a football game while in attendance. It can be more exciting in spots, but overall it's a game that was made for television, methinks. 

It seems like I'm in the minority, but I love going to NFL games. My dad had season tickets with the Steelers since the early 70s, I started going with him in '87 when I was 6. When he passed, I took them over. Great seats in the 200 level, under cover, and just hit $1000 a seat for the season, so the price isn't all that insane yet. . But, I can see how people don't like it and would rather watch at home, I have plenty of friends who turn down going for that reason. As for me, I'd rather be in the stadium on Sundays in the fall.

6 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

It seems like I'm in the minority, but I love going to NFL games. My dad had season tickets with the Steelers since the early 70s, I started going with him in '87 when I was 6. When he passed, I took them over. Great seats in the 200 level, under cover, and just hit $1000 a seat for the season, so the price isn't all that insane yet. . But, I can see how people don't like it and would rather watch at home, I have plenty of friends who turn down going for that reason. As for me, I'd rather be in the stadium on Sundays in the fall.

So that's what?  8 home games and 2 preseasons?

I wouldn't complain too much about $100/game I guess.

But does the $1000 get you all in?  Do you have to pay a seat license or anything?

Just now, Rhom said:

So that's what?  8 home games and 2 preseasons?

I wouldn't complain too much about $100/game I guess.

But does the $1000 get you all in?  Do you have to pay a seat license or anything?

Yeah, 8 and 2. They started a price tier system a few years ago so tickets aren't all the same price like they used to be, but at the end of the day, it's still $100 a game over the course of the season. The seat license was a one time thing when the stadium was opened, and ours were only $450 a seat, which we thought was a steal at the time. Now, people are selling their PSL's online for $8-10k a seat in comparable areas, so if I do decide to ever get rid of them, I'll make out pretty well. Doubt it will happen anytime soon though.

25 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

That seems really reasonable, especially for decent seats. Plus you have the legacy thing going, which is kinda nice. I totally get that angle. Every time I walked into Candlestick it brought back tons of memories of my dad and my brother. Good times.

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That seems really reasonable, especially for decent seats. Plus you have the legacy thing going, which is kinda nice. I totally get that angle. Every time I walked into Candlestick it brought back tons of memories of my dad and my brother. Good times.

Yeah, the cost to go to a Steelers game is surprisingly good. Tickets never go up in consecutive years, and when the increase happens, it's a few bucks at most. I went to damn near 300 games with the old man over the years, truly lucky to have had that kind of experience with him.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately, you could buy a top of the line TV every year for the last 30 years.

Oh come on Kalie, I know you're on your very admirable soap box but what's next? I probably spend over 1000 monies a year for the alcohol I drink on NFL Sunday's alone.

26 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Oh come on Kalie, I know you're on your very admirable soap box but what's next? I probably spend over 1000 monies a year for the alcohol I drink on NFL Sunday's alone.

I feel like I spend damn near that much on some single Sundays when I get my bar tab at the end of the day.  :lol:

10 minutes ago, briantw said:

I feel like I spend damn near that much on some single Sundays when I get my bar tab at the end of the day.  :lol:

I typically don't do bars, too loud around me and no Colts places here. When I lived in Texas it wasn't uncommon for me to go to this hole in the wall place though. I saw Marvin's knee get injured by Joseph Addai in week 4 of 2007 there.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm just saying that some hobbies are a smidgen more expensive for the minor gain, is all. 

If you enjoy it, cool beans, but for me that sounds like a nightmare. The parking, the planning, the driving there and back, the traffic bullshit - ugh. 

3 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm just saying that some hobbies are a smidgen more expensive for the minor gain, is all. 

If you enjoy it, cool beans, but for me that sounds like a nightmare. The parking, the planning, the driving there and back, the traffic bullshit - ugh. 

Hear you on that last bit. Especially the back part on the back of say a really bad game, especially a really bad loss.

36 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Oh no doubt, I'm just joshin' ya.

But there is that one-in-a-hundred unforgettable moment that's worth being at the game. I'll never give back wildcard week 2013 when I missed my flight and decided to make the game when tickets were unexpectedly available.

Archived