NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I typically don't do bars, too loud around me and no Colts places here. When I lived in Texas it wasn't uncommon for me to go to this hole in the wall place though. I saw Marvin's knee get injured by Joseph Addai in week 4 of 2007 there.

I've only been to the nearest Browns bar here a couple of times.  I usually just end up at places that are Panthers/neutral.  As long as they have a shitload of TVs and all the games on, I'm in.

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It's a good experience to be part of that crowd (though I still think NFL crowds are nothing compared to a good college crowd), but it's incredibly shitty compared to watching it on a good TV. 

College games are so much better to see live, and more importantly, they're so much cheaper. I had season tickets three out of the four years I was an undergrad, And the total cost for everything included it that was probably around $500, including filling up the flask.

14 hours ago, briantw said:

I much prefer the live NBA experience to the live NFL experience.  The NFL seems greatly improved by watching it on TV (this is especially true since a ton of games are typically played at the same time, so you miss less by watching on TV), whereas I think an NBA game when your team is good is an amazing experience live.  When I still lived in Ohio during LeBron's first tenure with the Cavs, those games were always electric (especially playoff games).  I'm sure it's the same now, although now when I go to Cavs games they're not the home team so I don't get to experience it.

This. Basketball and hockey are dramatically better live, while football, at best, is an expensive push. 

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Alternately, you could buy a top of the line TV every year for the last 30 years.

Do you mean top of the line like this? ;)

Let's be honest, the 2,000-2,500 I'll spend on tickets and all the other expenses over the course of a season is still less than buying a top of the line TV every year. Going to games isn't for you, that's fine, but if you feel the need to take a dig at me because I enjoy it, at least hit me with something that actually makes some sense and that I can get a good laugh out of too.

15 hours ago, Kalbear said:

(though I still think NFL crowds are nothing compared to a good college crowd),

Now I can agree with this. I've been to a lot of big NFL games over the years, seen the Steelers advance to the SB 3 times, and while those games were awesome experiences, they still fall short of the atmosphere a big time college game provides. Not just inside the stadium, but outside of it prior to the game as well.

36 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

There's a couple of players here in Pittsburgh who would surely be able to contribute to this study...

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What's even dumber about his banishment is that the final straw was a can of beer.

No doubt.  The fact that weed is illegal when these guys are pumped with all kinds of chemicals every week just so they can deal with the pain of being an NFL player is absurd.  

That said, Gordon knew the rules and he was dumb enough to repeatedly violate them.  He could be a millionaire right now.  Instead, he's just another high asshole watching the games on TV.  I don't feel a lot of sympathy for him.  I smoke weed all the time, and if someone told me I could have a million dollars if I stopped smoking for a year...I wouldn't fucking smoke for a year.  Weed isn't addictive.  It's just fun.

23 minutes ago, briantw said:

No doubt.  The fact that weed is illegal when these guys are pumped with all kinds of chemicals every week just so they can deal with the pain of being an NFL player is absurd.  

True. And what I find to be truly absurd is that one of the NFL's biggest ad buyers is Budweiser, which has been proven definitively to be worse than the herb.

24 minutes ago, briantw said:

That said, Gordon knew the rules and he was dumb enough to repeatedly violate them.  He could be a millionaire right now.  Instead, he's just another high asshole watching the games on TV.  I don't feel a lot of sympathy for him.  I smoke weed all the time, and if someone told me I could have a million dollars if I stopped smoking for a year...I wouldn't fucking smoke for a year.  Weed isn't addictive.  It's just fun.

It's not physically or chemically addictive, but it is hard for some people to set it down. 

That said, I do feel bad for Gordon. That last two things that got him were a minimal sample, and if they had tested the other sample he would have passed, and a single can of beer that he drank because he though he had met his requirements. This isn't a case of a guy repeatedly getting caught heavily abusing, like say a Justin Blackmon.

23 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If he was drinking beer with a straw he got everything he deserved.

Ain't that the truth. 

3 hours ago, briantw said:

Right on. The ban is stupid, but he's a fool. I refuse to sympathize.

3 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

If he was drinking beer with a straw he got everything he deserved.

Eh, oh!!!

COWARDS!:

Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh and general manager Ozzie Newsome support the signing of free-agent quarterback Colin Kaepernick, but have met resistance from owner Steve Bisciotti, sources tell ESPN's Dianna Russini.

Sources say this is not the first time an NFL team has wanted to add Kaepernick to its roster, but the move was blocked by the team's owner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20226590/baltimore-ravens-coach-gm-support-colin-kaepernick-signing-owner-resistant

Looks like we can confirm that the owners are whiteballing Kaep. I bet they're afraid of the cops protesting and refusing to provide security at games. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

COWARDS!:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20226590/baltimore-ravens-coach-gm-support-colin-kaepernick-signing-owner-resistant

Looks like we can confirm that the owners are whiteballing Kaep. I bet they're afraid of the cops protesting and refusing to provide security at games. 

FAKE NEWS! FOOTBALL REASONS!

It's been a spectacular flameout from the shitbag Ravens, especially with Ray Lewis injecting his pompous and hypocritical stupidity into it. Did anyone watch his argument with Shannon Sharpe? Sharpe was kind of a mess himself, but Lewis was only intelligible enough to reveal what a fatuous moron he is. It seemed like he was making a respectability politics argument, but had only a limited grasp of it. I wish Sharpe had gone nuclear and thrown the 2000 murder case that Lewis shucked and jived his way out of. I guess that's why Ray Lewis doesn't have any sympathy for Kaepernick -- the cop corruption worked for him.

May this team and their scumbag owner spend the next fifty years looking up at the Browns.

I find it hilarious how much of a 180 I pulled on Kaep. I tried for 2 years to convince everyone he sucked, reveled in being proven right, and then started making excuses for the poor schmuck.

He really should have a gig though. Bryan Hoyer is not a better answer 

Archived