NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

I had another Dolphins fan tell me he prefers Matt Moore to Jay Cutler.  I thought he was crazed but can anyone make that case?  

As far as Kaep goes, why did he opt out in the first place?

Reports say that Moore looked very good with the starters today. Doesnt he have a overalll winning record?

Lets make this brief:

• Pats are a near-lock for the AFC Championship Game;
  • The Jets Suck Balls; 
  • Colin Kaepernick is both getting railroaded and is not a good fit for any NFL team- 

SEE YOU ALL IN JANUARY!!!!  

Okay, let me give you some of my thoughts on the main stories in the Pats Off-Season and a few other things as I was finally able to get to my computer for the 2-and-a-half days-a-week this web page is up during the GoT season: 

The Pats Defensive Backfield is Amazing:  What seemed like a real  issue at the start of the off-season has turned into a veritable boon for the Pats, namely that after the Pats went out and signed the best CB on the open market in Stephon Gilmore, they alienated the RESTRICTED free agent CB stud, Malcom Butler and he went off in a huff demanding a trade.  The result?  Well, it’s the Pats so, somehow, BOTH are in camp, they are getting along great and the Pats now have the most fearsome secondary in the NFL.  

Meanwhile, there is a legit chance that the combined remaining AFC Est QBs won’t complete a pass on the Pats. 

Brandon Cooks: I know I have said this before, but on a bet, I can’t think of a better WR for Brady right now in the NFL than Cooks.  Brady’s long-ball is not what it used to be (his most iconic pass from the prior Superbowl, Brady under-threw by 5 yards) so the big threats like Beckham and Jones are not as valuable than a guy like Cooks who can get inside, underneath, and the, if need be, go deep and wreak havoc on a Secondary.  The Pats got Cooks for the last 1st round pick and they get him for A SONG (less than $800K for this season; if they want him for the second season, that will cost +$8mil).  The Pats may really, really be unstoppable this season. 

Gronk’s Not Dead Yet:  Its good to know that for 5-9 games this season, the best tight end on the NFL will be on the field.  I hope his rehab – which will begin around October 28 – goes well.  

Blount Force Trauma:  LaGarrette Blount is, finally, gone.  Fuck yeah.  He was ranked 80th in the NFL’s “Top Players in 2016” and all I could think was “I didn’t know the NFL only had 80 players.”  This guy sucks; absolutely sucks ass.  He’s 1.5-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust; he fumbled in the Superbowl; he only runs well against the Colts.  God he’s terrible.  

A Game of Thrones Extra Retired: Rob Nincovitch (not looking it up for the correct spelling) retired.  Okay, so… Rob was just … overrated.  He was.  He always seemed to be versatile enough to be just ever-so-slightly below average at everything.  He was okay against the pass; sometimes got close eough to the QB to require the QB to move a little and I’m sure that if he played QB he would probably be #2 on the Jets Depth-Chart (fuck the Jets are terrible).  Now, I will say this: he was a true pro’s pro; he did whatever the team asked of him; the whole franchise loved him; and he has the most underrated play from Superbowl 49 (sacking Russell Wilson before the Pats began their miracle drives).  This guy was great.  Sort-of.  

Pats Signed, Like, A Bunch of Great Free Agents That You Will All Come to Hate In the Next One-to-Four Months: Need a strong Running back to make up for Blount?  Pats have Mike Gillislee – a powerhouse from the Bills and Rex Burkhead who, from what I can gather from his name, is a 1950s race-car driver; Pats lose Nicovitch?  No problem – upgrade with Panthers DT Kony Ealy and sort-of-upgrade with Ravens DT Lawrence Guy. (pats are paying both these guys less than their punter).  Gronk likely out after week 9?  Dwayne Allen- a poor man’s Marcellus Bennett (who the Pack overpaid for) is there to be sort-of serviceable until the Division Round of the playoffs when he goes off for 7 catches, 144 yards and three TDs.  The Bears will immediately sign him to a six-year deal and he will proceed to catch 18 passes over the next 3 seasons.  Fuck I love this.  

Tom Brady Absolutely Lied About Concussions:  Sort of buried in the off-season was Brady’s Wife, walking sex fantasy, Giselle Bunchen, stated that Tom had suffered AT LEAST one concussion during the 2016 season.  Which is odd because the SCRUPULOUSLY HONEST AND UPSTANDING AND CLEAN-CUT Patriots never listed Brady on the Injury Report with a concussion.  So, obviously, Giselle is mistaken and WE SHOULD NOT INVESTIGATE THIS!  PLEASE! 

Brady was asked about this during an interview this week and- like he had his attorney whispering in his ear during a Congressional hearing, Brady stated “(On the advice of counsel) I don’t think its anyone’s business (about my health).”  Which is FUCKING HILARIOUS because the Injury report is a fucking public record (asshole) – THAT’S THE WHOLE POINT WITH THE CONCUSSION PROTOCOLS FUCKWIT!!!!! We don’t want players hiding this injury!  

Seriously, if I didn’t love Tom Brady like the gay-lover I never had, I would hate him… m-maybe… 

Jimmy Garoppolo is Still Here:  And he looks TERRIBLE!  He’s off; he’s thrown picks, overthrown open receivers and even fumbled snaps.  Word on the street is that the Pats passed up a multiple-draft-pick package to retain Jimmy G.  Which is going to be great in three years when the Pats realize they have Matt Hassellbeck.  Or worse… Tim Hassellbeck.  

Pats Resigned Everyone They Needed to (and a few people they didn't): From Dont’a Hightower and Malcom Butler all the way to Trey Flowers and Daron Harmon, the Pats pretty-much held par with their own team.  While some of the resignings seem unnecessary (Bradon Bolden), it shows how solid the Pats are from back to front.  

Let’s Resemble (Most of) 2007: The talk- obnoxious, soul-crushing, vapid and meaningless – of the Pats going undefeated has begun and its fucking stupid.  The Pats play 4 of 5 games in a row on the road, including one to Mexico City against universally underrated Oakland.  I don’t see this at all.  Pats could go anywhere from 12-4 up- that’s how the NFL is.  But talk of going undefeated is STOOPID!  I mean 15-1 sure… but 16-0 ... nope.  Never going to happen.  Ever.  Never ever...  stop saying otherwise... because it just won't... ever... so lets just stop talking about it unless, by some fluke, it becomes relevant... but it won't ... ... ... (as far as you know)...  

So, that’s my view of the NFL Presumptive AFC Rep in the 2017 Superbowl.  I will have more comments as the pre-season gets going and more involvement here.  Hope to see you all around. 

21 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Reports say that Moore looked very good with the starters today. Doesnt he have a overalll winning record?

Looks like he's 15-13 as a starter in the regular season.  

Moore is adequate.  A solid second choice.  They dont have to panic and do anything drastic because worst case right now Moore can step in.  Cutler is probably more talented though Moore has experience with the receivers.

My two favorite gems from Jay Cutler's press conference in Miami

"The good thing is I play quarterback, so I don't have to be in that great of cardiovascular shape."

“I would probably say my wife, Kristin, probably talked me into it more than anybody else could.”

What confidence building quotes these are for the Dolphins organization, its players, and fans...

Per rw:

Jets placed WR Quincy Enunwa on injured reserve with a neck injury, ending his season.

Unbelievable. Enunwa, the Jets' clear-cut No. 1 receiver, was injured in a team scrimmage on Saturday. It leaves second-year UDFA Robby Anderson as Gang Green's No. 1. It's a positively cataclysmic situation for a team that should be amongst the most unwatchable in league history this season. As for Enunwa, it's devastating news that wipes out his age-25 campaign. Neck injuries are arguably the trickiest in all of football. His status beyond 2017 should be considered uncertain.

Ouch. Especially hurtful after last year's performances by Brockstar, Blake Bortles, and the Browns (well - every year).

...Good. :)

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

My two favorite gems from Jay Cutler's press conference in Miami

"The good thing is I play quarterback, so I don't have to be in that great of cardiovascular shape."

“I would probably say my wife, Kristin, probably talked me into it more than anybody else could.”

What confidence building quotes these are for the Dolphins organization, its players, and fans...

Cutler gives no fucks and I love it.

On 8/4/2017 at 10:14 PM, JonSnow4President said:

I have a hard time believing Seattle wouldn't have signed him if he was willing to settle for $5M a year.  That's perfectly legitimate backup money, and a fairly good fit behind Wilson.  I think he's a premium backup for the mobile QBs though (much less so for the Staffords of the world)

One interesting theory I heard is that Seattle wanted to avoid any possibility for a QB controversy. They have a divided locker room, and if Wilson struggles it's conceivable that the defense would call for Kaep to get a chance.

Bengals team speed is incredible. Their offensive line blows. Their defense will be good if they can get a pass rush going (looking at you Carl Lawson). They have an easy schedule. Mike Nugent is no longer on the team. I see 10-6.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Bengals team speed is incredible. Their offensive line blows. Their defense will be good if they can get a pass rush going (looking at you Carl Lawson). They have an easy schedule. Mike Nugent is no longer on the team. I see 10-6.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-sucks-2017-cincinnati-bengals-1797628436

Russel Wilson is a bit overrated, but if the defense really has shit to say about him then they need to get fucked. He's a fucking baller who has covered as many of their shit performances as they've covered his.

Meanwhile, Tom Brady is on my TV talking to Willie McGuintist and he's come a long way as an interviewee. Devilishly charming, way less smarming.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Russel Wilson is a bit overrated, but if the defense really has shit to say about him then they need to get fucked. He's a fucking baller who has covered as many of their shit performances as they've covered his.

True, but it sounds like the defense is largely jealous that he got the lion's share of the credit for their run. And also, Kaep's personality is a lot more similar to that of the defenses' than Wilson, who is an empty cybernetic being.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

True, but it sounds like the defense is largely jealous that he got the lion's share of the credit for their run. And also, Kaep's personality is a lot more similar to that of the defenses' than Wilson, who is an empty cybernetic being.

Yeah, I agree that he got too much credit. But when you have a top 6 or 7 qb with a great defense don't fucking undermine that shit. Bottom line, Wilson is better than Kaep. If the defense would have made a fuss about personalities then they're wrong.

I agree with you, I just am annoyed at their pettyness.

Oh, and B T dubs, Rich Eisen finally displayed what I consider to be an appropriate level of alarm at Andrew Luck's continuing lack of throwing yesterday.

He showed up at practice last weekend and not only did Pagano day he hadn't seen him so long that if they were a college team he "Would have thought the kid transferred" but that just seeing him in person was "good for the soul" and his reappearance at camp " is not a signs that he's coming back soon".

What the fuck is happening to this poor kids arm off the field!?!

Not often that I listen to Colin Cowherd but he speaks sense about Luck.  If this man is not 100% they need to sit him for the year.  They can not risk his entire future by rushing him back too soon. 

Having trouble getting excited over here in Broncoland.  We have an epic QB battle between a guy who is great at throwing the ball but can't read a defense and a kid who apparently gets the job because he is safe with the ball but has a worse arm than Alex Smith.  Maybe pre season will give me that glimpse of something that gives false hope that the Broncos are still a playoff team due to the defense.

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Yeah, I agree that he got too much credit. But when you have a top 6 or 7 qb with a great defense don't fucking undermine that shit. Bottom line, Wilson is better than Kaep. If the defense would have made a fuss about personalities then they're wrong.

I agree with you, I just am annoyed at their pettyness.

Is Wilson still top 7? It feels like his stock has dropped over the last few seasons. 

2 hours ago, SkynJay said:

Not often that I listen to Colin Cowherd but he speaks sense about Luck.  If this man is not 100% they need to sit him for the year.  They can not risk his entire future by rushing him back too soon. 

Having trouble getting excited over here in Broncoland.  We have an epic QB battle between a guy who is great at throwing the ball but can't read a defense and a kid who apparently gets the job because he is safe with the ball but has a worse arm than Alex Smith.  Maybe pre season will give me that glimpse of something that gives false hope that the Broncos are still a playoff team due to the defense.

Shoulda traded for Kaepernick when you had the chance.  :D

ETA:  I also agree on Luck.  Something is not right with him and he needs to get it fixed.  Sit the year, somehow outsuck the Browns and Jets and get another top pick you can trade for a haul.  Get that man an offensive line.

Archived