NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

Looks like the Patriots are so strong that fully 2 of the 3 AFC East teams have decided to give up and play for the draft.  That's just great.  The Week 1 game of Jets @ Buffalo might end up being pretty important for draft seeding.

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Dafuq???

I'm at a loss. Although I will contend that Watkins is a bust, while Darby was the second best player on the team...

How is Watkins a bust?  He's only 24 and has proven to be elite when healthy.  And while he's had injury issues, those are the same issues that guys like Julio Jones and Kevin Durant recovered from.  Do you know what the common denominator is between all those guys?  It took a second surgery and rest time to fully recover.

Well, Watkins is coming off of his second surgery and significant rest time.

I've just been able to triple-source that Ezekiel Elliot, the second year star running back of the Cowboys will indeed be suspended for the first 6 games of the 2017 season, though we expect that to be appealed down to 3 or 4 games before the season officially starts.

Obviously this is important for a variety of reasons to fantasy owners as a potential top-5 player, reasonably sure to auction for no less than 55 dollars is now uncertain to play for a third of the year.

Don't be surprised if he still goes off the board with a high price tag though, especially if the suspension is reduced below 5 games. Several high ranking people I've spoken to have suggested that he could still be worth a late second/early third round pick and about twenty to thirty dollars in an auction

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

How is Watkins a bust?  He's only 24 and has proven to be elite when healthy.  And while he's had injury issues, those are the same issues that guys like Julio Jones and Kevin Durant recovered from.  Do you know what the common denominator is between all those guys?  It took a second surgery and rest time to fully recover.

Well, Watkins is coming off of his second surgery and significant rest time.

2 first round picks and he can't hold a candle to guys taken after him, injuries or no.

I said it and I stand by it.

15 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

2 first round picks and he can't hold a candle to guys taken after him, injuries or no.

I said it and I stand by it.

Seems a little unfair to punish him for being taken in one of the greatest WR draft classes of all time.  He's not a bust just because he's not as good as OBJ or Mike Evans, and there's no guarantee he won't be on the same tier as those guys when all is said and done, as all of these guys could potentially play another decade in the NFL.  Elite WRs typically don't break down until around their age 33 season, after all.

And we're talking about a guy who, in his rookie year, put up 65-982-6 and then 60-1048-9 his sophomore year.  If he had been healthy last season, he likely would have built on that and been considered in the upper echelon of WRs like Evans and Beckham.  Given that he's still 24, it seems absurd to call him a bust when all it would take is one good season for him to be right back in the conversation.  

http://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/fortunately-ezekiel-elliot-just-allegedly-beat-his-e-1797757396

"Fortunately, Ezekiel Elliott Just (Allegedly) Beat His Ex-Girlfriend but Didn’t Sit During the Anthem, so He’ll Be Back Soon!"

And when Ezekiel Elliott returns from his tepid suspension—undoubtedly levied just to give the NFL the veneer of giving a fuck about domestic violence—he’ll be welcomed back with open arms (and pocketbooks).

What the NFL has no room for, however, are peaceful men who silently protest police brutality and then have the audacity to explain their protests with explosive statements to the effect of: Hey, black people kinda hate it when police shoot us for no reason, so please stop doing that. Nope. Can’t have any of that going on. Might be a distraction from all the assaulting and abusing. (Oh, and Ezekiel’s abs. Can’t forget about them too.)

Kind of like the whole Brady thing, don't think the totality of the publicly available evidence warrants concluding he did it (although unlike the Brady thing, I actually think it's possible he did do it).  The victim's friend's police statement for the one incident (where she shows texts where Zeke's GF asks her to lie and say Zeke drug her out of car and hit her) really don't sit right with me, and automatically discredits anything the girlfriend is saying.  While I haven't looked at it too deeply, I'm not aware of any other evidence beyond the girlfriend's interviews. Also unlike Brady, he's a little shithead that needed a major wake up call and deserved something for the incident on St. Patrick's day, so I'm not upset.

Archived