NFL 2017 - The Afterdraft

Howdyphillip

25 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I can remember how bad that scene blew my little 12 year old mind when I first saw it. NO WAY! I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!

Funny, because I saw it when I was 7 or 8 and about half way through the movie I began to wonder if they were related.

But then again, I called R+L=J the moment after I read the Tower of Joy scene in AGOT. 

B)B)B)

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Grow up, Eunichsbane! You think you're alone in your fatigue at this unstoppable colossus? Try having them in your conference, knowing that only 1 playoff bye and potential spot in the Championship game exists from the outset of the season. 

Preach it! Suffering 3 AFC Championship defeats at their hands and being mostly dominated in 90% of the regular season matchups during the B&B era, I feel this pain. However...

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

If you want to struggle against eternity, you be my guest. My hatred can be better directed at the likes of Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seahawks, Saints, Chargers, Rams, Browns, Cowboys fans, Lions, Packers, Falcons, and Jaguars.

The entity against which you've chosen opposition is a force of nature, as well do battle with the tide.

While I can admit that they are the best at what they do, I'll be damned if I ever turn to the dark side...Those Pats can eat a bag of dicks.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

QFT

Gaga%20pickoff%20catch_zpsmhwz4ygj.gif

/I hope Brady gets picked off by a cheap Madonna knock-off.

I was debating on whether or not I needed to obtain permission from you for using one of your favorite lines, but in the context I figured you would agree with it's usage 100% :D

6 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Grow up, Eunichsbane! You think you're alone in your fatigue at this unstoppable colossus? Try having them in your conference, knowing that only 1 playoff bye and potential spot in the Championship game exists from the outset of the season. 

If you want to struggle against eternity, you be my guest. My hatred can be better directed at the likes of Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Seahawks, Saints, Chargers, Rams, Browns, Cowboys fans, Lions, Packers, Falcons, and Jaguars.

The entity against which you've chosen opposition is a force of nature, as well do battle with the tide.

*steeples fingers* Yesssss....

Unless this is another sneaky jynx setup...

On 7/14/2017 at 9:59 PM, DanteGabriel said:

*steeples fingers* Yesssss....

Unless this is another sneaky jynx setup...

Methinks this heel turn is for real. Jace has spent her whole life rooting for one of the worst run pro teams in all of sports. She was bound to crack at some point. 

4 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Goood..... gggggooooooooooooddddd.... let the hate FLOW through you... 

Welcome back, Sith Lord of the NFL thread. 

11 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Methinks this heel turn is for real. Jace has spent her whole life rooting for one of the worst run pro teams in all of sports. She was bound to crack at some point. 

C'mon, it's not even a heel turn. It's more like I've moved on to a new storyline. I just don't care about the Patriots anymore unless they're playing someone I hate.

15 hours ago, sperry said:

Bruce Allen thinks Kirk Cousins name is Kurt.

He seems to think his name is Sucker, since he keeps lowballing Cousins for reasons unknown.  He said that the Redskins offer was for 6 years, with only the first two years guaranteed, to the tune of $53 million.  That is a lot of money, but it is a complete joke in a quarterback negotiation.  Cousins franchise tag this year + the transition tag next year is $53 million, and that is the BARE MINIMUM that Cousins could possibly get in the next two years unless he suffers a catastrophic injury. 

If the Redskins actually wanted to get something that Cousins would sign, they needed to start with Derek Carr's deal and make it a little better, so something more like 5 years, $120 million, $80 million guaranteed.  Yes, that is more than he's worth.  It is also the going rate for an above average quarterback.  

Sports fandom is stupid, I don't know why anyone does it. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

He seems to think his name is Sucker, since he keeps lowballing Cousins for reasons unknown.  He said that the Redskins offer was for 6 years, with only the first two years guaranteed, to the tune of $53 million.  That is a lot of money, but it is a complete joke in a quarterback negotiation.  Cousins franchise tag this year + the transition tag next year is $53 million, and that is the BARE MINIMUM that Cousins could possibly get in the next two years unless he suffers a catastrophic injury. 

If the Redskins actually wanted to get something that Cousins would sign, they needed to start with Derek Carr's deal and make it a little better, so something more like 5 years, $120 million, $80 million guaranteed.  Yes, that is more than he's worth.  It is also the going rate for an above average quarterback.  

Sports fandom is stupid, I don't know why anyone does it. 

But Carr is better than Cousins, and arguably significantly better, and he still has room to improve. The Racial Slurs would be crazy to give Cousins a fat long term contract unless they front loaded it so they could cut bait if it doesn't work out. 

What the Racial Slurs are telling you is that they don't think Kirk is worth an elite contract, and I have to agree. Their mistake, however, was not trading him when they had the chance. 

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But Carr is better than Cousins, and arguably significantly better, and he still has room to improve. The Racial Slurs would be crazy to give Cousins a fat long term contract unless they front loaded it so they could cut bait if it doesn't work out. 

What the Racial Slurs are telling you is that they don't think Kirk is worth an elite contract, and I have to agree. Their mistake, however, was not trading him when they had the chance. 

The problem with this route is they have no avenue to actually get a quarterback. Kirk Cousins is worth $30 million per year, because that's what a quarterback is worth. Stupid GMs can't figure this shit out though.

23 minutes ago, sperry said:

The problem with this route is they have no avenue to actually get a quarterback. Kirk Cousins is worth $30 million per year, because that's what a quarterback is worth. Stupid GMs can't figure this shit out though.

An elite QB might be worth that, but I would never give 1/5 of my salary to an above average QB. And as far as not having a QB goes, get as many picks from 49ers as you can and tank for a year. Next year's QB draft class is supposed to be really strong. 

24 minutes ago, sperry said:

Right.  If your options are the qb wilderness for an indefinite amount of time or overpaying Cousins, then you pay the man.  And he would sign for less than $30 mil per.  If he's worth 20 mill a year and you have to pay him 24, it isn't exactly going to hamstring the organization long term.  You just have to forgo one pretty OK veteran every year.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

An elite QB might be worth that, but I would never give 1/5 of my salary to an above average QB. And as far as not having a QB goes, get as many picks from 49ers as you can and tank for a year. Next year's QB draft class is supposed to be really strong. 

Not every team wants to tank.  The Redskins are not devoid of talent, and Cousins has led the team to back to back winning seasons for the first time since the 90s.  The fanbase would be REALLY unhappy with embracing a rebuild rather than paying a quarterback.  I'm sure if we shipped him out for draft picks and replaced him with someone shitty we could go 5-11, but that isn't bad enough to get a top 3 pick.  Unless you have a fire sale to get rid of solid pieces like Reed, Williams, Norman and Kerrigan, you aren't going to be able to out-lose the Browns or Jets.     

Tanking is a dangerous game in the NFL because QBs have such a high failure rate. Plus, this next year's QB class is looking great, but no guarantee the guys will even come out.  There is a long history of college QBs loving their BMOC status so much that they return to school for another year. You can't just go find a quarterback, as teams like the Jags, Texans, Browns, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, Rams, 49ers, etc. have found out. I think you should absolutely look to acquire draft assets if you're a bad team, but the Redskins aren't a bad team, and Cousins is a solid QB. You build around that, because you might have a decade in the wilderness if you don't.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

But Carr is better than Cousins, and arguably significantly better, and he still has room to improve.

I'm not sure that's true.

Last year, Cousins was better than Carr in the following categories: 

• Completion percentage (and that's with forty more passes than Carr)
  • Total yards
  • Yards per completion
  • QBR
  • Yards per attempt
  • Passer rating

I just don't really see the argument that Carr is significantly better, let alone better at all.  Carr threw for a few more touchdowns and a few less interceptions, but he also threw for 1000 less yards last year and completed around four percent less of his passes.  

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Right.  If your options are the qb wilderness for an indefinite amount of time or overpaying Cousins, then you pay the man.  And he would sign for less than $30 mil per.  If he's worth 20 mill a year and you have to pay him 24, it isn't exactly going to hamstring the organization long term.  You just have to forgo one pretty OK veteran every year.    

Before I begin, I believe we need to ask ourselves two questions: (1) Can Washington win a Superb Owl because of Cousins? and (2) Can Washington win a Superb Owl with Cousins. From my prospective, the answer to number one is a hard no and the answer to number two is probably. If that's the case as I believe, you absolutely do not overpay for him. Now if you can get him for $20m a year then great. But you cannot make Cousins the top paid QB in the NFL when he's not even a top 10 QB. You're going to be setting yourself of for a long stretch of mediocrity. 

4 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Not every team wants to tank.  The Redskins are not devoid of talent, and Cousins has led the team to back to back winning seasons for the first time since the 90s.  The fanbase would be REALLY unhappy with embracing a rebuild rather than paying a quarterback.  I'm sure if we shipped him out for draft picks and replaced him with someone shitty we could go 5-11, but that isn't bad enough to get a top 3 pick.  Unless you have a fire sale to get rid of solid pieces like Reed, Williams, Norman and Kerrigan, you aren't going to be able to out-lose the Browns or Jets.     

You're right to say that they're not void of talent, but it's also fair to say that they're not a contender. And isn't the goal to win a championship? I feel like extending Kirk would make your fan base happy in that you won't be bad, but you'll also have to accept that you probably won't be great too. As for trading him, if you could have gotten a top 3 pick and next year's first or and handful of mid round picks, I say you've got to make that trade every time. Especially because it looks like he's leaving anyways. 

As for their record, if you put a bad QB in there for a year I could easily see them doing worse than 5-11. The division is strong, and they lost a lot of weapons on offense and IIRC, their defense is pretty average. A bad offense and an average defense could easily net you a 3-13 record. 

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Tanking is a dangerous game in the NFL because QBs have such a high failure rate. Plus, this next year's QB class is looking great, but no guarantee the guys will even come out.  There is a long history of college QBs loving their BMOC status so much that they return to school for another year. You can't just go find a quarterback, as teams like the Jags, Texans, Browns, Bills, Jets, Dolphins, Vikings, Rams, 49ers, etc. have found out. I think you should absolutely look to acquire draft assets if you're a bad team, but the Redskins aren't a bad team, and Cousins is a solid QB. You build around that, because you might have a decade in the wilderness if you don't.

These are valid points, and I agree with everything except the bolded section. Washington is a middle of the road team, and they have an asset that could net more value then he provides. It's not an easy choice, but I'd pull the trigger on trade since it seemed like he wanted out of their anyways. 

It's important to remember that you don't just need talent, you need talent at value. If Cousins is your starting QB at $15m a year you're in a good spot. Double that and you're going to likely cripple the rest of your roster. 

Archived