Which is your favourite Westerosi House and why?

crowcrow

ill always fancy the Starks the most. gotta love that idealistic self-righteousness lol. i am partial to the Mormonts and the Martells though... lots of strong females from those houses. Dorne in general is just rad cause the line of succession is determined by a firstborn child regardless of gender. im all for that 

Targaryens.  Their women fight as well as their men.  Dragons.  They're Dany's team.  For all of those reasons. 

How many women from any family would have the guts to climb on a dragon?  Only the Targs.  It brings the question why many fans think Brienne is unique.  Brienne is unique for a regular noble woman of Westeros but she would not be out of place with the Targaryen women.  Queen Visenya would have loved to force marry her son to a woman like Brienne. 

• 2 months later...

House Targeryan ftw! They are cool, they are great, they have dragons and even when they dont have dragons they are still cool. Westeros should be thankful for HT. Once Targeryan went out to get themselves some dragons again, westeros fell into chaos. Ppl of westeros should be begging on their knees for them to be back cause only they (jon and dany) can save them now. 

Well, I think all houses have pros and cons but hey, I guess some speak to some of us more than others.

As for the criteria, well I take this is a bit of fun so I wouldn't be too worried about being politically correct or making a moral point.  However there are various ways at looking at this question.  Say, which house I would rather belong to if I were a character in the story?  Which house I think is the coolest? Which is more badass (even if not so goody-goody), which is misunderstood?  which I enjoy reading about most?

lol I guess each one of these questions brings about different answers.

Now, when I started reading the series many moons ago, my fav were the Starks but of course we were meant to see things from their point of view.  One of the few antagonist (house-wise) point of views there was Tyrion who is a bit "on the fence" in that for a considerable part of book 1 is hard to figure out re his moral compass or even deeds (dagger etc) but although not outing them he seems to know and disapprove of throwing Bran out of the window.  Still the Starks certainly are among my favourites.  On the coolness level I love their connection with the Old Gods, the First Men, the warging etc and the crypts intrigue me like hell!

Now, people talk about words and sigils etc and why not?  I mean if this was a question that was meant to determine who I would send my troops to, were I a minor Lady or something, basing this on the coolness of a sigil would be pretty shallow lol but since I guess it is not meant to be more than a bit of fun saying which houses appeal to us for various reasons, I would say that totally unintentionally I seem to have gone for the same colours here (like House Lannister) as in another series I love (Harry Potter) lol - dark red and gold!  Yet, one would assume that a Lannister fan would be more of a Slytherin fan...  Still, not just for the colours but the Lannister have a special resonance with me.  Like with every other house, we get a wide variety of characters so it is really hard to define a house by the main characters we have.  Still, they are descended from Lan the Clever.  Okay, whatever he did sounds like underhanded treachery for me but I like the "clever" element and if the guy had Tyrion's sense of humour (pre ADWD - but he won't stay like that forever) I would cheer for this guy.  Tywin was possibly a bad example but it was an strong reaction to his father, Tytos, who sounds like a naive version of Tyrion lol  Cersei is not great either lol but there is a little complexity in her and overall they are very glamorous; okay Tywin is glamorous but not hedonistic.  I like a little hedonism lol  Sounds like Tyrion, Cersei and especially Tytos did like a little enjoyment in life lol.  Another character I love in this family is Genna.  We know little about her but her description to me points at larger than life, bossy, matronly but warm.  And Joanna of course, had she lived, sounds like a moderating influence on steel-hearted Tywin.

The Targaryens are undoubtedly cool but the only ones I am truly invested on are Danny and Maester Aemon.  What went before never caught my attention (I am weird, I know...) much unless super relevant to current plot.

Now, as for where I would fare better given my personality, Tyrell for sure.  Yes, they have the closest approach to life and morality to our current world; homosexuality is tolerated, so is not being a maiden at marriage etc.  Like with all houses, we got someone on top who is hard to ignore (Olenna) just like the Lannisters have Tywin lol (I reckon they would have been an interesting couple had they been closer in age).

The Martells, well, I am going to put my egalitarian thoughts re female's rights aside here for this is a different universe and women could still rule very efficiently.  Their revenge orientated ways, not by one person but institutionalised (all of them feel it, may be minus Quentin) is a bit much for me but I don't dislike them.

If I had been born Ironborn I would have had less chance than Tyrion, say, lol.  I am not sporty etc, now the Reader is an interesting juxtaposition to this.  I like Asha a lot and Theon is very complex and interesting but certainly not a house I would like to be in lol

The Mormont ladies and even the boys are amazing I think too.  Now overall this world is so rich that I am yet to discover a compelling love for houses we hardly hear of.  I am probably a bit thick and shallow here but this is the reality for me as a reader at this moment in time.

Now, my overall answer would not be one house but alliances between them.  If I could chose a marriage alliance I would go for Stark/Lannister as where I would like to be.  Ideally, me Stark with the connection with the old gods etc married to a Lannister (and of course undisputed Lady of the Rock ;) ), okay preferably the intellectual one for a husband... ;) or Stark/Tyrell or Lannister/Tyrell lol  (I think Garlan, I know he is married lol, would have been my first choice but then again we are yet to meet Willas, who could turn out alright -not bothered about lame leg- provided he likes ladies).

Stark. Their history, region, castle, and people are what I love the most in these books. They are the best humans in the series also. 

Targaryen is the most interesting house in the series and they have their problems, I love this house. They are only second to the Starks but I love them so much. 

Starks. I’m from a Northern culture and I just relate to them more though I’m not convinced that they’re the good guys any more than anyone else is. Too often, a lot of the more flashy and glamorous families just seem obnoxious, silly or lacking in nuance. Drama which is appealing to some just looks like an unnamed mood disorder to me or like characters who aren’t fleshed out to their potential and thus need something big attached to them to keep the readers from forgetting them. I suppose the Northerners look boring and dreary to some though.

That said, the Lannisters by far are the most interesting characters for me, probably because they’re adults instead of children/teens. 

9 minutes ago, Stevemillions said:

I like the Celtigars, purely based on their name being really cool.

The Crownlands houses are pretty interesting in general. There's a certain mystique to them, since their culture is never discussed in the world book, and they tend to be categorized based on their relationship to the Crown. 

House Stark! From first read until now, House Stark! Aside from my love for Arya, Ned, Robb and Jon...I'm a winter child. The direwolves, warging, green dreams, Old Gods, Winterfell and the crypts, had me from first introduction. Their house words are also pretty epic, I mean, who would forget "WINTER IS COMING!"

They also inspire some serious loyalty from their bannermen and it isn't out of fear like a Lannister, but out of respect, honor, and actual love. In a world like Westeros, I find that pretty rare.

On 4/30/2017 at 0:41 PM, Canon Claude said:

The Blackfyres.

They're a very diverse group of people, even with the bare minimum of details that we have about them. Daemon was arguably more purely Targaryen than the legitimate Targaryen line at that point, and arguably since. He was basically Aegon the Conqueror alive again and his turning out as a villain to order really helps show just how far the Targaryens had come by then. Daemon II is my least favourite of the Blackfyres but he's still interesting. He's got the gift of foresight, but it also curses him in a way. Plus he lives in an age where his sexuality is considered something to be deeply ashamed of, which destroys his chances to be taken seriously.

Aenys is the one I most want to learn about. After his father and brothers are killed in rebellion, he dares to ask permission to quietly sail to King's Landing and make his case for the throne. No tricks, no threats, just a simple request. And Bloodraven does the least moral thing he could possibly do. It's really sad because I feel like Aenys could have been a great king, depending on what we learn about him in the Dunk & Egg series. Same for Haegon, who was treacherously slain after he surrendered (I'm betting it was Aerion who killed him).

And since Bittersteel married into the family, as well as being a half relative to Daemon I, I count him amongst this family. And Bittersteel is one of the most fascinating of them all. He's like a mix between Stannis Baratheon and Satan at the beginning of Paradise Lost. Even when he's cast down and utterly ruined, he gives a passionate speech to his followers which actually sounds heroic, if you forget who's talking. Bittersteel is the man who forged the greatest mercenary company that's ever existed, which says a lot about how mighty of a leader/warrior Bittersteel was. He never gives up, and his gold skull might very well hang triumphantly over the Iron Throne before this is over.

And really, this strikes me as the ultimate conclusion to the Blackfyre story. Formed out of spite by the worst Targaryen king, more Targaryen than the Targaryens themselves, driven to a life in exile, looked upon with treachery and hate, finally returning in triumph to Westeros to take what the Targaryens lost.

While I'm not a fan of any family Targ-related, I will say this is a fantastic and persuasive post.

On 1/4/2018 at 3:56 PM, Adam Yozza said:

House Blackwood; they have a cool sigil, they're the only known Old Gods worshipper's in the South, Tytos Blackwood is awesome and they're among the few houses that don't immediately bend the knee after the RW. Since I'm big on loyalty, that's a massive bonus. They've also got some cool historical members as well; Bloody Ben, Black Aly and Red Robb Rivers.

I'm also rather fond of the Manderly's and Dondarion's.

House Blackwood is interesting.  Going through the wiki, I was amazed at how many of the characters are descended from them.  They married into the Starks, Baratheons and the Targareyens.  And they probably married into the Tullys because they are an important house from the Riverlands. Jon, Sansa, Arya, Stannis, Gendry, Shireen, Mya, Edric Storm, Bran, and Dany are all descendants of House Blackwood. 

1 hour ago, goldenmaps said:

House Blackwood is interesting.  Going through the wiki, I was amazed at how many of the characters are descended from them.  They married into the Starks, Baratheons and the Targareyens.  And they probably married into the Tullys because they are an important house from the Riverlands. Jon, Sansa, Arya, Stannis, Gendry, Shireen, Mya, Edric Storm, Bran, and Dany are all descendants of House Blackwood. 

Westerosi nobles place high value on marriages with houses of royal descent.  House Blackwood were notable kings in the Riverlands, and never abandoned the old gods.  I would imagine great houses probably valued marrying with the Blackwoods more than someone like Frey.

Just now, LindsayLohan said:

Westerosi nobles place high value on marriages with houses of royal descent.  House Blackwood were notable kings in the Riverlands, and never abandoned the old gods.  I would imagine great houses probably valued marrying with the Blackwoods more than someone like Frey.

I agree.  I just thought it was interesting that the Blackwoods have blood ties to many of the royal houses. I hope we learn more about them in future books.

18 minutes ago, goldenmaps said:

I agree.  I just thought it was interesting that the Blackwoods have blood ties to many of the royal houses. I hope we learn more about them in future books.

I like the idea of Hoster Blackwood semi-replacing Tyrion as Jaime's nerdy companion.  Imagine if the Hos (junior nerd) and Peck (junior warrior) become super friends, like Jon and Samwell?

Lannisters. They're the most fun, interesting House for me. One of the reasons, I think, is that they are simply the family we see interacting the most with each other. I also like them because they make do without dragons or magical direwolves (even though I appreciate the Starks too). I like their history (Lann the Clever, Rohanne Webber) and their minor members (Genna).

On 03/04/2018 at 0:51 AM, LindsayLohan said:

I like the idea of Hoster Blackwood semi-replacing Tyrion as Jaime's nerdy companion.  Imagine if the Hos (junior nerd) and Peck (junior warrior) become super friends, like Jon and Samwell?

I'm extremely fond of Jaime's little gang and I'd love to read about their adventures (never gonna happen, I know:crying:).

The Lannisters. Tywin, Cersei, Jaime, Tyrion, Genna are wonderfully complex and entertaining characters. Most of the others we know – Kevan, Lancel, Devan come to mind – are sympathetic and very human.

They are a house of extremes and glamour. I also love their naming conventions (the Ty- names).

Archived