Which is your favourite Westerosi House and why?

crowcrow

My favorite house is Hightower. I think they have one of the coolest seats and they are very powerful.

They are almost as rich as the Lannisters and infinitely more likeable. With the exception of the Dance of the Dragons, the Hightowers typically stay out of the realm's conflicts and they have a sizable army and fleet. Both the Citadel and the Faith are based in Oldtown, which the Hightowers rule and they own the Valyrian steel blade, Vigilance.

The Daynes of Starfall are a close second. I love the concept of sword of the morning and Dawn is my favorite sword. I can't wait for the next sword of the morning to reveal himself. Hopefully it happens in TWOW. I have a suspicion that Dawn may also be Lightbringer, and when all is lost, the SOTM will reveal himself and save the realm.  I love their colors and sigi, and Starfall is my favorite castle.

The Blackfyres.

They're a very diverse group of people, even with the bare minimum of details that we have about them. Daemon was arguably more purely Targaryen than the legitimate Targaryen line at that point, and arguably since. He was basically Aegon the Conqueror alive again and his turning out as a villain to order really helps show just how far the Targaryens had come by then. Daemon II is my least favourite of the Blackfyres but he's still interesting. He's got the gift of foresight, but it also curses him in a way. Plus he lives in an age where his sexuality is considered something to be deeply ashamed of, which destroys his chances to be taken seriously.

Aenys is the one I most want to learn about. After his father and brothers are killed in rebellion, he dares to ask permission to quietly sail to King's Landing and make his case for the throne. No tricks, no threats, just a simple request. And Bloodraven does the least moral thing he could possibly do. It's really sad because I feel like Aenys could have been a great king, depending on what we learn about him in the Dunk & Egg series. Same for Haegon, who was treacherously slain after he surrendered (I'm betting it was Aerion who killed him).

And since Bittersteel married into the family, as well as being a half relative to Daemon I, I count him amongst this family. And Bittersteel is one of the most fascinating of them all. He's like a mix between Stannis Baratheon and Satan at the beginning of Paradise Lost. Even when he's cast down and utterly ruined, he gives a passionate speech to his followers which actually sounds heroic, if you forget who's talking. Bittersteel is the man who forged the greatest mercenary company that's ever existed, which says a lot about how mighty of a leader/warrior Bittersteel was. He never gives up, and his gold skull might very well hang triumphantly over the Iron Throne before this is over.

And really, this strikes me as the ultimate conclusion to the Blackfyre story. Formed out of spite by the worst Targaryen king, more Targaryen than the Targaryens themselves, driven to a life in exile, looked upon with treachery and hate, finally returning in triumph to Westeros to take what the Targaryens lost.

House Targaryen.  I like them because most of my favorite characters are either Targaryen or Targaryen supporters.  Daenerys, Barristan, Greyworm, Jorah, Rogue Prince, Rhaenyra, Aegon I, Viserys II, Varys, Missandei, Doran.  I like Petyr Baelish too even if he's not a Targ supporter.  I like some non-Targ supporters who are part of the Targaryen storyline, which is my favorite arc.  Kraznys, Gerris Drinkwater, Shavepate, Tyrion, and the Tattered Prince.

I am a Stark man through and through.  I fell in love with them from the beginning and have never lost my affection for them.  While they sometimes do stupid stuff, their hearts are in the right place.   Which is a rare quality in Martin-land  Go direwolves! 

For me it's House Clegane. Partly because my favourite character is from this house and it's such an interested new house with fascinating members and I could talk about them all day if there was more information about the house and its members. 

House Targaryen

House Targaryen has an interesting backstory, they have unique features and cool castle. Coolest thing is their dragons. House Targaryen united Westeros and had good and bad members. Their reign is interesting and their seemingly resurgance. House Targaryen surely will be crucial in defeating the ancient enemy.

I don't think there's any way I can pick. There's many houses I like little bits about... I like all the main players currently in Westeros (Stark, Lannister, Tyrell, Baratheon) in the current timeline, so I won't pick between them. So, honorable mentions:

1. Arryn -- I think they have the best words (High as Honor) and their castle, though impractical in winter, is over-the-top awesome
  2. Hightower -- Another cool castle, and they have played a big part in the histories. It's almost a little odd there aren't any important Hightowers in the present. Then again, they are very likely Targaryen loyalists so it's only a matter of time.
  3. Dayne -- Starfall is probably the best castle name
  4. Mormant -- Strong, independent women. "Not a great house, but a proud one." 
  5. Velaryon -- Lord of the Tides always sounded very nifty to me. Important in history as well.

House Targaryen

That's not to say that I like all of the family.  I am a fan of the only current member of the family, Daenerys Stormborn.  I am a fan of several past Targaryens like Aegon I, Visenya, Jaeherys, Viserys II, Daena, and Brynden Rivers.  They're just cool dragonriders and they have the most interesting backstory out of all the families.  I see the Targaryens as the heroes of  "A Song of Ice and Fire" and root for them (or her, in this case).

House Tyrell

Of all the Great Houses, the Tyrells show the most sophistication. They are also seemingly the only house in the realm that actually produces anything significant for export (agricultural products, wine) so they are almost as rich if not richer than the Lannisters.

And they support, and house the seats of, the two institutions that raise Westeros out of barbarity; namely The Citadel and The Faith of the Seven. 

Some of their supporting houses are quite powerful. The Hightowers, who are patrons of the Citadel, the Redwynes, who have the largest fleet in the realm next to the royal fleet (or is it larger? I'm not sure.) The militarily adept Tarlys. But they aren't paranoid about those houses rising against them, because apparently they have earned their loyalty through good rulership. No Castermere-like purges will come out of Highgarden.

If you like civilization, you've got to give it to the Tyrells. By that criterion, I think that the Tullys would be a close second. Of the lesser houses, I think the Daynes have it sewn up.

9 minutes ago, A Man Has Said said:

House Tyrell

Of all the Great Houses, the Tyrells show the most sophistication. They are also seemingly the only house in the realm that actually produces anything significant for export (agricultural products, wine) so they are almost as rich if not richer than the Lannisters.

And they support, and house the seats of, the two institutions that raise Westeros out of barbarity; namely The Citadel and The Faith of the Seven. 

Some of their supporting houses are quite powerful. The Hightowers, who are patrons of the Citadel, the Redwynes, who have the largest fleet in the realm next to the royal fleet (or is it larger? I'm not sure.) The militarily adept Tarlys. But they aren't paranoid about those houses rising against them, because apparently they have earned their loyalty through good rulership. No Castermere-like purges will come out of Highgarden.

If you like civilization, you've got to give it to the Tyrells. By that criterion, I think that the Tullys would be a close second. Of the lesser houses, I think the Daynes have it sewn up.

At least by the second book it would seem their fleet is much larger. But, what I really replied for was to say don't forget they supply the realm with wine! You know the Arbor is raking in some pretty coin from that. Plus I'm just a fan of wine.

House targaryen for life! Their background is really interesting, if I could get GRRM to write a book set in planetos I'd ask him to write about valyria. We have a lot of information about house targaryen more so than any other house, but what makes me most interested about the targaryens is that they have special magical blood; the ability to bond with dragons, having prophetic dreams, tolerance towards heat/fire, dragon dreams et cetera I think no house in westerns can rival house targaryen in magic

Another thing to note about house targaryen is that they united the seven kingdoms as we know them, created the iron throne, brought an end to the endless wars between the former squabbling kingdoms and brought prosperity to the realm. Without house targaryen ASOIAF would be a much duller/uninteresting book.

And lastly they do have dragons........

On 30/04/2017 at 5:41 PM, Canon Claude said:

The Blackfyres.

They're a very diverse group of people, even with the bare minimum of details that we have about them. Daemon was arguably more purely Targaryen than the legitimate Targaryen line

And really, this strikes me as the ultimate conclusion to the Blackfyre story. Formed out of spite by the worst Targaryen king, more Targaryen than the Targaryens themselves

How was daemon more targaryen than daeron ii ? Both his parents were targaryen just like daemon himself, and the later blackflyres are not more purely targaryen than the targaryens at the time, remember that daemon's wife was not valyrian, so all his kids are only half blackfyre/targaryen

It is house Dayne today.  It could be Martell or Targaryen tomorrow.  The Daynes have a big role to play and I cannot wait to find out what it is.  Somebody will become the sword of the morning.

I think the term is being misused.  The sword of the morning is the person who will be one of the people to fight against the Others.  This person is the sword that will help drive away the Others and drive away the darkness.  The price has been paid when a Dayne died.  Two died to be precise and two Starks also died.  Arthur and Ashara; Brandon and Lyanna.  Ned + Ashara, Arthur + Lyanna, or Brandon + Ashara doesn't matter.  The sword has been born. It may be Jon Snow or someone else.  You can see why Ned would want to protect the secret if Arthur was the father.  It would destroy the hero status of Arthur Dayne.  Ashara's reputation as a lady would be tarnished if it became known she got pregnant out of wedlock and has a bastard.

Archived