What would the Starks of Old...

KarlDanski

Think of the current generation of Starks from Ned's family + Jon? By Starks of Old, I'm referencing Kings like Theon Stark or Brandon Ice Eyes or maybe even Cregan Stark. What would they think of Ned and Catelyn along with their children Robb, Sansa, Arya, Brandon, and Rickon along with Jon Snow. Also, which current Stark do you think personality wise most relates to the Starks of Old? I think Jon does, but that's just me, but I would like to hear your opinion on it. 

PS: What exactly are the Stark traits? What traits does House Stark traditionally have either before the Andals, before the Targaryens, or before Ned Stark? There's the "wolf blood" personality which is hot-blooded aggressive, and free willed which were Brandon and Lyanna Stark, but then you have the quiet, solemn, and honorable Ned Stark who acts more Arryn than Stark. I would just like to hear your opinion, but which current Stark acts most like a Stark of Old. Rickon might be the case since he's a "wild wolf" since he's been on Skagos.

You can get in trouble when you label an entire house based on one or two members.  In my opinion, Eddard was an honorable man and that led many readers to jump to the conclusion that all of the Starks are when nothing could be farther from the truth.  Book 2 saw Robb betray House Frey.  Books 3 & 4 saw Arya turning into a pint sized monster.  Jon betrays the kingdom in book 5.  That's 1 honorable against 3 dishonorable.  The Starks are just like most families in Westeros.  Their past had good ones like Cregan and Torrhen along with the bad like the Hungry Wolf, the Nights King, Lyanna, Brandon, and Rickard. 

1 hour ago, KarlDanski said:

Think of the current generation of Starks from Ned's family + Jon? By Starks of Old, I'm referencing Kings like Theon Stark or Brandon Ice Eyes or maybe even Cregan Stark. What would they think of Ned and Catelyn along with their children Robb, Sansa, Arya, Brandon, and Rickon along with Jon Snow.

If certain foreshadowing with iron swords, the wandering dead, and and the need to always have a Stark in Winterfell plays out we may well find out exactly what they think....

I doubt they will be pleased. The blood of Winter has forgotten much and more.

That's what I'm trying to say 300 H&H, what was the traditional Stark traits. You have differing ones where you have bloodthirsty Theon Stark, brutal Brandon Iceyes, just Cregan Stark, honorable Ned Stark etc. Personalities differ from person to person, even so in the Stark family with the solemn Jon, jovial Robb, wild Rickon, curious Bran, ladylike Sansa or the tomboy Arya.

A lot of the meat in that freezer were kings when they still had a pulse.  Priority 1 for those devils is to reclaim the north as soon as their White Walker ally revives them.  Just as the ancient kings of old were egging Dany on to wake the dragon, those old winter kings would be pushing the Starks to awaken their warg powers.  It's fire vs. ice.  The Starks will once again agree to continue sacrificing children and adults to the trees in exchange for the WW's help in taking the north.  Bran, Arya, and Rickon are getting wild.  They're starting to embrace the savagery of their ancestors.  Jon was too until BM and company stopped him.  I think the ancient kings of winter would want a return to the old ways and the southerning of the current generation of Starks would not be welcome but Bran, Arya, and Rickon are already showing their savage natures. 

1 hour ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

You can get in trouble when you label an entire house based on one or two members.  In my opinion, Eddard was an honorable man and that led many readers to jump to the conclusion that all of the Starks are when nothing could be farther from the truth.  Book 2 saw Robb betray House Frey.  Books 3 & 4 saw Arya turning into a pint sized monster.  Jon betrays the kingdom in book 5.  That's 1 honorable against 3 dishonorable.  The Starks are just like most families in Westeros.  Their past had good ones like Cregan and Torrhen along with the bad like the Hungry Wolf, the Nights King, Lyanna, Brandon, and Rickard. 

I think "betraying the kingdom" is a stretch. There are certainly two sides to it, elsewise Selyse would not have chastised him and Jon wouldn't have been stabbed. However given that the wildlings south of the wall haven't done anything to betray their agreement and Jon is using them to defend the realm, it's not betrayal to me.

2 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

You have weird opinions on the Starks. I wouldn't say Jon betrayed the kingdom, or that Lyanna, Brandon and Rickard were particularly bad. By that logic Ned, Robb, Jon Arryn, Robert, Hoster Tully and all their vassals are bad. But I do agree with you that generalising a house on a couple members isn't too useful. 

As for the OP, I think the Kings of Winter would approve of Robb to a degree, I doubt they cared too much about honour. But then again, Cregan Stark and Torrhen seemed to. Difficult to say really. The Stark children were shaped so much by Ned's Vale honour. I think Brandon and Rickard epitomise the Starks, on one hand wild, brave and hot-headed, while on the other hand cold, stern and ambitious. 

3 hours ago, 300 H&H Magnum said:

How does jon betray the kingdom in book five? That makes absolutely no sense.

Rob in the books got himself into a very hard place in terms of honor. He either dishonored the girl he slept with or marries her and breaks his deal with the freys. I truly think for the most part he was very honorable. As for arya I think she was always a bit off and losing her whole family and her father dying in front of her tends to make a person a bit hard. If you mean rickon stark as in the little kid I think it's too early to tell. As for ned starks brother brandon and his father yeah going to the king and telling him you demand to have his his son brought to you so you can kill him is pretty hot headed.

Archived