Rhaegar's final words

1 hour ago, Widow's Watch said:

This is something I have been wondering myself, especially after reading The Sworn Sword and the broad strokes of what happened at the Redgrass Field Battle (the fight between Daemon and Gwayne Corbray). It would really paint a different picture of what happened at the Trident. I can see it going down like this. 

I've wondered about the discrepancy between the vision and Ned's account for quite some time. When I first brought it up, someone supplied the Barristan quote concerning the fight between Belwas and Meereen's champion - that an honourable man would dismount. In this light, Jorah's remark how Rhaegar fought valiantly, nobly and honorably but got himself killed, might actually be based on something he saw with his own eyes, and not just a general assessment based on Rhaegar's character. The Redgrass Field Battle was then a cherry on the cake. 

What if we remove the threatrics and perceive what is actually happening. They are two men who are fighting with one enraged at the other over a slight. I could imagine Robert and Rhaegar's final battle to have some dialogue in between the attempts of trying to murder each other. Remember, even Oberyn, who KNEW that Gregor Clegane raped his sister, still spoke to him during their trial by combat. Particularly, he was trying to get Gregor Clegane to say Elia's name, the one who he harmed. Perhaps Robert, in his fury and rage, was trying to get Rhaegar to do the same thing; to confess and give the name of the woman who Robert believed he harmed; whereupon Robert, in his madness, swung his warhammer so hard and smashed Rhaegar's chest in.

Possible? or tinfoil?

Archived