Evil People

1 hour ago, Sullen said:

Not quite.

Renly tried to usurp the crown out of self-preservation, crowning himself was the only way to save his skin once the plan remove Lannister influence by replacing Cersei failed and after Eddard stubbornly refused his help to install him as regent.

Joffrey and Lannisters were coming for him, and the only way he could get the Tyrells on his side was by offering them something, in this case, to make Marge a queen. He did very much get enamoured with the idea of being King though.

Well...He could've join Stannis. From this point, that would have saved his skin.

Just now, The Sunland Lord said:

Well...He could've join Stannis. From this point, that would have saved his skin.

Joining Stannis loses him Tyrell support, and he doesn't have any reason to believe Stannis in any case, Stannis has no proof of what he claims, and he himself knows it as his only answer to Cat asking him to prove the bastardy of Robert's children is more teeth grinding.

15 minutes ago, Sullen said:

Joining Stannis loses him Tyrell support, and he doesn't have any reason to believe Stannis in any case, Stannis has no proof of what he claims, and he himself knows it as his only answer to Cat asking him to prove the bastardy of Robert's children is more teeth grinding.

Renly didn't care about having the strongest claim, like you said.

He was greedy for power the crown provides you with. But, I'm sure Stannis would've let Renly live and keep promise of terms he offered him after he sits on his throne. Stannis would murder/burn anyone in order to be there, I doubt he would've turned into Mad King afterwards.

13 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Renly didn't care about having the strongest claim, like you said.

He was greedy for power the crown provides you with. But, I'm sure Stannis would've let Renly live and keep promise of terms he offered him after he sits on his throne. Stannis would murder/burn anyone in order to be there, I doubt he would've turned into Mad King afterwards.

He didn't care about the claim, but didn't act out of greed.

He acted pragmatically, and crowning himself was the best way to stay alive from his point of view.

Stannis being lenient to Renly should he bend the knee matters little, the Tyrells are the ones who hate Stannis and who are hated right back, and they're the real power brokers.

Renly is ambitious, ruthless and pragmatic but not evil.

An evil character is one that commits needlessly brutal actions repeatedly. Specifically characters that torture and rape or promote such actions are evil. 

According to this definition, the major evil characters in the story are Tywin, the Mountain, Euron, Roose, Ramsay, Cersei and Littlefinger.

5 minutes ago, Winter's Cold said:

Renly is ambitious, ruthless and pragmatic but not evil.

An evil character is one that commits needlessly brutal actions repeatedly. Specifically characters that torture and rape or promote such actions are evil. 

According to this definition, the major evil characters in the story are Tywin, the Mountain, Euron, Roose, Ramsay, Cersei and Littlefinger.

Add Balon. He put Theon into bad position which led to many disasters afterwards, not to mention pre-novels events.

• 8 months later...
On 6.5.2017. at 3:38 AM, The Wolves said:

See this is something I can somewhat understand but I don't forgive child death(except Joffery that was for the greater good) in anyway so I refuse to forgive or sympathize with Sandor. 

Aren't you in "kill all Freys" camp?

Archived