May Reads

Garett Hornwood

1 hour ago, D_P said:

There is another called the Butcher of Anderson Station, which I assume is going to fill us in on the details of Johnson's infamous decision to eradicate said station that has also piqued my interest.

Yes, I'd like to get the backstory on that as well.

12 hours ago, Starkess said:

I used to love those books when I was a kid! I wonder if they would hold up at all.

The Princess and the Goblin is easily the better of the two (less preaching, better plotted, and the goblins steal the show). The Princess and Curdie is much more heavy handed, and is even a bit mistitled (Irene is barely in it). It's like Narnia, but worse.

Finished Death in Sunset Grove. Talk about false advertising... this was marketed as a murder mystery. It's actually just about a 94 year old woman and a 92 year old woman getting up to shenanigans in a rest home, with a lot of scene setting, but no overarching plot to speak of. It'd be fun at 180 pages, but at 380 it overstays its welcome.

Next up is Ysabel, by Guy Gavriel Kay. This is reputedly one of his lesser works, but seeing as I'm not a fan of his more celebrated stuff, perhaps my tastes are just different.

6 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Just got my ebook :smug: 

I've read the first two Fitz trilogies plus Live Ships. I did not read Rain Wilds. Can I jump into the third trilogy or do I need to read Rain Wilds first?

10 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, dude, if you like Amos you need to get your ass to book 5.

I'm headed quickly in that direction, DR.  I finished The Churn last night and loved it.  That kind of no nonsense, one track minded desire to survive, and potentially thrive, at all costs is excellent escapism for me.  Chatham's(?) portrayal in the TV show did play a part in my sudden intense interest in the character but I liked him in LW also.

Now I REALLY can't wait to get to Nemesis Games.  Thanks, DR :cheers:

I loved Beguilement by Lois McMaster Bujold. 

While I am waiting for the next library ebook in the The Sharing Knife series, I have started reading My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk.  I admit the odd POVs (ie a tree!) and non-linear structure took me a while getting used to.

Finished off Ysabel. I went in with low expectations, and as such found it pretty OK - I found the characters a bit flat, and the "25 year old throws herself at our 15 year old protagonist" a bit out of left-field, but overall, it's perfectly serviceable YA. Of course, it helps that I've read The Fionavar Tapestry.

Next up is Magician, by Raymond Feist. I'm fully aware that he's candyfloss fantasy, but Magician is considered "genre-important" candyfloss, and I'm trying to hunt down genre-important works I haven't previously read (I've never read Feist). 

Finished The Fisherman, definitely worth checking out.

Still working on Black House, and restarting The Imago Sequence tonite.

Also picked up Blood of Elves used. Haven't read the two collections but I'll give it a shot too.

2 hours ago, Richard Writhen said:

Finished The Fisherman, definitely worth checking out.

Still working on Black House, and restarting The Imago Sequence tonite.

Also picked up Blood of Elves used. Haven't read the two collections but I'll give it a shot too.

Reading Blood of Elves without Last Wish and Sword of Destiny first,is worthless. It won't make any sense.

16 hours ago, unJon said:

I've read the first two Fitz trilogies plus Live Ships. I did not read Rain Wilds. Can I jump into the third trilogy or do I need to read Rain Wilds first?

After reading just the first book of the new trilogy, I would have definitely said you could have skipped them, but books two and three have a lot more linkage to The Rain Wilds Chronicles.  You're still probably alright skipping them, but you will be losing out on some of the depth and subtle interactions.  If you're okay missing out a little bit do it, if you're a completist like I am, then don't skip them.  tRWC got a really bad rap when they were released because of how poorly they were structured - it started out as a planned single book, then it was split into two, and then again into four, and that shows badly.  Books one and three just stop, and had I read them as they were released I would have hated them with all of my being, but I bought them all on ebook for a grand total of $6.96 and read them back to back.  It was also 13 years after I had read Fool's Fate so I was delighted to be back in that world, and those two things made me much more forgiving to the series flaws.  It is really just a travelogue with some excitement tacked on at the end, but I really loved the character development throughout.

tldr:  I really enjoyed them, but they're not 100% necessary. 

Finished reading First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung. 

Wow that was a tough book to read. Gripping though. 

I'm still reading Rogues by GRRM and Gardner Dozois and Bazaar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King as well as Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams.

22 hours ago, unJon said:

You'll appreciate Fool's Quest and Assassin's Fate more if you read Rain Wilds, definitely.

Currently reading The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. This part of the Dark Tower series is much more enjoyable than the first one, probably because the characters are way more interesting and relatable than in The Gunslinger. I'm starting to see why people love these books (or at least, this half of the series).

Archived