128 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Aren't all of King's books? :P 

Yeah, I suppose...now I'm wary King might write himself in this one...

15 minutes ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Yeah, I suppose...now I'm wary King might write himself in this one...

Nah I think he wrote that one before he got hit by the truck.

On Invalid Date at 9:00 AM, Jo498 said:

I am not even sure I ever finished that (could there be an edition without all the soap opera?) I also found it a mixed bag and disappointing later on.

It was very unusual. I would have to conclude that I liked it a lot, but its abrupt transition into romance and then war story a la The Red Badge of Courage sure is strange.

The Book of Deacon by Joseph Lallo was boring.  Way to much telling vs showing and the main character was too much of a prodigy and Mary Sue for my likings.

Loving both Time of Grief, by Adrian Tchaikovsky and Legacy by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I finally finished Rick Atkinson's An Army at Dawn. Atkinson did a terrific job of balancing tons of information with narrative pace. Loved it. Luckily it's only the first part of his Liberation Trilogy and I have two more to read.

I now have Glendon Swarthout's The Shootist and Charles Portis' True Grit lined up.

I finished The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, which is omnibus collection of the first five novels plus a short story.  Overall I found everything so-so in both humor and in each story.  I'm going to have to check out the radio serial to see if that is funnier and just better than the book.  Next I read Night Watch by Terry Pratchett as part of my read through of the Discworld series.  I really enjoyed this book, as I've done of basically all the Watch books, and don't know what I can add to that.  I'm currently reading the GRRMartin edited Rogues and so far have found almost all the stories very good, but I still have a long way to go.

The following books are more religious oriented, so this is your warning...

I reread Sabbath Roots: The African Connection by Charles E. Bradford and read The Antichrist and the New World Order by Marvin Moore as part of my "tame" readings on Friday & Saturdays.  The first book is a look at evidence of Sabbath-keeping on the African continent before the arrival European Christian missionaries and is mostly an introduction to the whole decision.  The second book is a look at Seventh-day Adventist eschatology written in the early 1990s as can be determined the use of 'the new world order' in the title, the dated references to "current events" are the biggest flaw of the book but it's also a general read for both Adventist and non-Adventist audiences.

WHERE LOYALTIES LIE by Rob Hayes came out today. I've already read it and recommend it.

Finished EVIL IS A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE by Grimdark Magazine.

Am going to start OLD MAN'S WAR now.