Name four characters you would bet money on surviving the series

Canon Claude

1. Bran (the main story started with him, and I think it will end with him too).

2. Brienne (she'll live, after having seen the very worst of the war, and survived. She'll be well and truly jaded with life by the time this series is over)

3. Samwell (he'll be the one sitting next to the weirwood tree writing the Song of Ice and Fire down as Bran dictates it to him)

4. Arianne (I somehow feel like she's the one who will ultimately survive and rule over Dorne, but in a way which is bittersweet)

1. Bran (too much effort has been put into the weirwoodnet for it to not assimilate him)
2. Cersei (conflicted on this one, but I suppose she will end up destroyed in anyway but physical after making bad decisions due too prophecies)
3. Tyrion (the resident dwarf will probably have a turn to the dark side and survive somehow. Possibly rotting in the dungeon next to his sister)
4. Goldhand (a new ruler of Casterly Rock, stern as his father but with a more humane side nursed from Brienne and having to face the sins of his father through lady stoneheart, will simply fade to the back of the story.)

Bran, Sansa, Arya, and Samwell

Bran started the series at Winterfell, he will end the series at Winterfell (all but the epilogue, that is)

Sansa and Arya are being set up as the next generation of rulers.

Sam will give us the epilogue, telling us what happened to everybody.

Bran: his is the first and shall (more likely should, since it is highly unlikely the last book will be published) be the last chaper of the books. He is responsible to train the next greenseer for the upcoming next battle for dawn.

Jon: Yeah...there is no way you bring a charcter so important back from the dead, just to kill him in the klimax. Of course this arguement is only valid if Jon comes back to life in the next book. I heard rummors...:P

Tyrion: The last surviving son and heir of Tywin. Definitly safe. I have zero doubts about the imp. 

The rest is hard...since I can pick just one more, I go full-risk, and won't say the obvious choices Arya and Sansa but...

Danny: Most people assume that she will definitly die at the end. I beg to differ her. The main reason I disagree is that she is the last (Full) Targaryen. A silver haired inbred Targaryen. I think George won't wipe them out. He seems to care to much about them. They are the Edain (from LotR) of ASOIAF. Humans, yet more then regular humans. Also George said that the next book will be about the history of the Targaryens. So he seems to be really focused on those people. But regardind Danny, I still have slighliest doubts. In one year we know more...

8 hours ago, winter daughter said:

Just like SR. he is a sickly boy and everyone expects him to die but I think he will survive.

He's being given lethal levels of opiates. His seizures are withdrawl from his drugs. He isn't sickly at all, he's an addict... not his fault, of course. If he can survive the TD he could recover.

10 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

if you had to pick four characters of which you were certain will live to the epilogue of ADOS, who are they?

My four would have to be Tyrion, Varys, Brienne, and Bran.

1. Rhaego
  2. Dany's second child
  3. Dany's third child
  4. Tyrion

#4 is just a gut feeling.

Runners up in no particular order:

• Sansa
  • Arya OR Bran

Sansa's survival is based on the idea that Littlefinger knows what he's doing and that he needs her alive, but her survival isn't implied the way Tyrion's is. I say Arya OR Bran because I believe she's being trained explicitly to kill Bran. They may, of course, kill each other, but I don't see a future where they both survive.

There are a number of characters which exist not to further the plot but simply to provide us, the reader, with their perspective for the purposes of exposition. Characters like Brienne and Sam, as interesting as they might be, are not relevant to the plot itself. This actually makes their survival MORE likely: there's no strong thematic reason they have to die and their deaths won't further the plot, so GRRM is more likely to keep them around for as long as they can continue to observe something he wants us to see. Maybe he'll kill them off once he runs out of things for them to witness on our behalf, but it seems just as likely he'd rather find some excuse to simply move those "camera characters" to wherever he needs a point of view right up until the very end.

Daenerys has to die for thematic reasons. Jon Snow as well. Dany will live right up until the last page of the last book though.

• Aegon.  He will marry Dany and become her consort.
  • Dany.  Marry Aegon and rebuild House Targaryen.
  • Gilly.  She has to raise Mance Rayder's baby, the future leader of the wildlings. 
  • Rickon.  I don't see the Starks ever becoming rulers of the north or anything again.  Rickon will survive his siblings.  He hasn't done anything too bad yet.  This boy will grow up a wildling. 

I think Littlefinger could survive. Fake his death, and/or escape imprisonment, slightly battered but alive. He'd spend the entire sea voyage to Braavos sulking, then bounce off the boat ready to throw himself into politics there.

(Bonus if the merchant prince's daughter from Gulltown is real, and catches up with him to give him merry hell for deserting her.)

This is all to do with the Baelish as Machiavelli thing.  He'll probably end up writing hugely successful plays full of bitter satire, and the seminal works on political theory and finance.

Bran's going to survive in some form, probably as the Stark under Winterfell.

Jon Snow, I think, is going to end up standing his watch on the Wall in some form for a very, very long time.  I don't think he'll end up with Sansa, Dany or Arya.  Two of them, he was raised to think of as sisters, and similarly, if he finds out Dany is close kin, he won't be fine with it.

But George could kill anyone. Valar Morghulis.

1.  Tyrion who will scour the shire and write the true histories;

2.  Sansa who will finally be a queen and marry her Prince of Dragonflies (Aegon)

3.  Brienne who will be LC of the Queensguard

4.  Samwell... possibly, although his dream of feasting with dead brothers of the Watch doesn't bode well.

My guess is that Arya, Bran and Rickon may survive in their second life as direwolves; but Jon and Dany, Ghost and the dragons will not.

• Sam, because he's George Martin within the story.  He can run, or waddle, away from the fight.  He will live and marry Gillie Flower. 
  • Gendry, because he's the last of the Baratheons.  He will forge new vs swords and stab Arya's chest to temper them. 
  • Dany, because she's the most compelling character in today's fiction, I just love her.  She has a lot of story ahead of her and work to do.
  • Davos

Arya, Sansa, the Hound, Tyrion

The shakiest one for me here is Arya, the Hound has already "died" and it didn't take, so he's pretty safe. Since Tyrion is GRRM, it would be totally nihilistic for George to kill him. I am pretty sure Sansa will "win" somehow, which is, fine I guess, I am kind of meh on her.

Archived