Name four characters you would bet money on surviving the series

Canon Claude

On May 6, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Armand Gargalen said:

I do not know what you mean as a conditional clause. Here is the whole thing:

That brought more laughter from the Lannisters, more curses from Robb. Ser Rodrik's face was beet-red with fury under the white of his whiskers. Theon kept Robb locked in an iron grip until the princes and their party were safely away.

Jon watched them leave, and Arya watched Jon. His face had grown as still as the pool at the heart of the godswood. Finally he climbed down off the window. "The show is done," he said. He bent to scratch Ghost behind the ears. The white wolf rose and rubbed against him. "You had best run back to your room, little sister. Septa Mordane will surely be lurking. The longer you hide, the sterner the penance. You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

Arya didn't think it was funny. "I hate needlework!" she said with passion. "It's not fair!"

see, this is the thing. 

the quote doesn't say she'll die, it basically says: stop hiding and go back to your room. the longer you keep killing/needling the closer you are to your death. the longer you hide, the harder it will be for you. This gives her a choice whether she should continue to kill and be no one+die alone or come back being arya stark. i really really really hate it when people cut out everything thats before "they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers.” Everyone seems to focus on the the second half of the quote but ignore the first half. the first half of the quote has as much meaning as the second one.  if you will read the quote attentively then you will realise that this is not about arya dying but more about the choice she'll have to make in the future. 

plus the outline specifically says she is one of the 5 main survivors and grrm said that he's sticking to his original ending and arya is part of that ending+he has always known her arc. (and checkhov's gun people, that girl has a purpose! her training in HoBaW+her wolf pack army lurking in the riverlands aren't for nothing! and plus she is like one of the few people who knows the secret tunnel thingy in the red keep, that info is ought to be important! i never understood why so many people want to get rid of her that fast tbh...)

The only main character I would bet money on surviving is Sam.

As far as other survivors, in decreasing order of likelihood (i.e. increasing likelihood of dying):

1. Sansa

2. Tyrion

3. Jaime

4. Brienne

5. Dany

Definite non-survivors in my opinion: Jon, Arya, Davos, Cersei

Bran doesn't count, as he will be beyond life/death (i.e. really death, from a normal human perspective).

Hound and Theon what has died.....

Asha and Sam 

Hound destined to kill his brother with a flaming sword (he was reserected by the BwB but does not know it)

Theon has everything he needs to pull a bow; foreshadowed he kills a Dragon and foreshadowed that he will dethrones his uncle.

Asha well somebody needs to rule the iron islands after her brother

Sam meh needed a 4th

• 1 month later...
  1. Bran Stark- Practically immortal.  He's safe in that cave.
  2. Daenerys Targaryen - Martin's best character and one of the most popular characters in the fantasy literature.  My personal favorite.
  3. Theon Greyjoy - Because the author just loves to torture this guy.  He needs to live a long life to earn his redemption.
  4. Arya Stark - No reason in particular why she should live other than Martin's wife likes her.  Robert Jordan kept that annoying Cadsuane alive because of his wife.   I can see Martin keeping Arya alive for the same reason.

1. Sansa

2. Tyrion

3. Aegon

4. Davos and/or Brienne

I'm not so sure about Sam who dreams of feasting with the dead:

A Storm of Swords - Samwell III

His dreams were strange that night. He was back at Horn Hill, at the castle, but his father was not there. It was Sam's castle now. Jon Snow was with him. Lord Mormont too, the Old Bear, and Grenn and Dolorous Edd and Pyp and Toad and all his other brothers from the Watch, but they wore bright colors instead of black. Sam sat at the high table and feasted them all, cutting thick slices off a roast with his father's greatsword Heartsbane. There were sweet cakes to eat and honeyed wine to drink, there was singing and dancing, and everyone was warm. When the feast was done he went up to sleep; not to the lord's bedchamber where his mother and father lived but to the room he had once shared with his sisters. Only instead of his sisters it was Gilly waiting in the huge soft bed, wearing nothing but a big shaggy fur, milk leaking from her breasts.

He woke suddenly, in cold and dread.

Beting money on Tyrion to survive the series is a risk I would not afford. Don't forget to think about the long way that the Imp has already went along, and his narrative plot as a character. Tyrion looks like Arya on this point. That's why I would not put them in my list.

Same for Dany. And the persons who say me that she is so much iconic and loved by the fans have a serious need to remind Robb and Oberyn's fate lol

18 hours ago, Agents of Fortune said:
  1. Bran Stark- Practically immortal.  He's safe in that cave.
  2. Daenerys Targaryen - Martin's best character and one of the most popular characters in the fantasy literature.  My personal favorite.
  3. Theon Greyjoy - Because the author just loves to torture this guy.  He needs to live a long life to earn his redemption.
  4. Arya Stark - No reason in particular why she should live other than Martin's wife likes her.  Robert Jordan kept that annoying Cadsuane alive because of his wife.   I can see Martin keeping Arya alive for the same reason.

:agree: 

You're right and I agree with the reasonings behind your conclusions.  I want to add about Robert Jordan.  George paid respect when he named Maester Rigney after Mr. Jordan.  His real name is James Rigney.

The most important major characters are undoubtedly the Big Five: Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Bran and Arya.

Of these five characters the safest one is undoubtedly Bran as he is the most unlikely to be directly involved in any dangerous situations. 

Jon and Dany will probably directly face the White Walkers. Arya will continue to conduct dangerous assassinations. Tyrion usually ends up being involved in battles (Green Fork, Blackwater) as well. If Tyrion is the third head, then he may also face the White Walkers with Dany.

Jon, Dany, Tyrion, and Arya are unsafe bets. Of these four, Arya is the safest due to both her age and due to the fact that she won't be directly involved in battle.

The other major characters are: Cersei, Jaime, Sansa, Theon, Sam, and Davos.

Cersei and Jaime are likely goners. Cersei because she is the most prominent villain left alive and will come into conflict with Aegon and Dany. If they don't finish her off then either Jaime or Arya will do the job. Jaime is many things. He is a kinglsayer, kinslayer if he kills Cersei, adulterer, and attempted child murderer. He looks like a decent person compared to the monstrous Cersei but he is still a bad person on the whole with many crimes to pay for. If his crimes are discovered, it's unlikely that his enemies will spare him.

Sansa is safe primarily because of her last name and her beauty. No man has a reason to kill her if he can claim Winterfell through her and if he doesn't want Winterfell she's still very pretty. She also tends to not get involved in dangerous situations by playing it safe. She can still die, but overall she's one of the safer bets.

Theon's fate is quite unclear. Theon has been tortured to the brink of death. He is also surrounded by people who want to kill him. Killing Theon wouldn't achieve much because he is already living a life worse than death. He will die if he stays in the North but probably live if he flees to the Iron Islands. His fate depends on his location.

Samwell is another character that's unlikely to be directly involved in dangerous situations similar to Bran and Sansa. He mainly serves as a support for Jon and may help find a way to beat the White Walkers at Oldtown. He's another safe bet.

Davos is a great character that everyone likes. He's the replacement Ned of the series and as such his chances of dying are quite high. He's also had a fake deaths and near deaths. He lives very dangerously and that might catch up with him in the end. He's an unsafe bet.

Safe bet characters:

1. Bran

2. Sam

3. Sansa

4. Theon (if he leaves the North)

5. Arya

Archived