Pounding the Planet: Meteoric Thaumogenesis as Fertilization

hiemal

Yeah, OK. I'll get in on this tinfoil party. Mine is pretty... conservative. By which I mean that I feel it's not that innovative or wacky. I feel like someone will have already thought of it; all this has happened before and all this shall happen again (so say we all). 

The current age is quite clearly an Age of Fire. Since the Blood Betrayal, fire has been the predominating element. Valyrians and Targaryens and all that. 

Given that The George is clearly a hippie who is all into cycles and shit, we can deduce that there was an Age of Ice some time before. Waitaminute... wasn't there a time when Emperors lived for thousands of years -- yeah yeah, it's shorthand for 'a really long time' -- and were named for gemstones, which could easily symbolize ice? Hmm. 

So my tinfoil is that the GEotD time was the Age of Ice. The gemstone emperors drew their power from the moon. Maiden-Made-of-Light + Lion of Night = Sun + Darkness = Night-Sun = the Moon. (Stolen tinfoil from reddit: all that black fused stone was made by these guys and their magic, and it used to be WHITE). They made the Five Forts to guard against the demons (fire demons? Dragons?) in the east. That was their wall. They didn't use metal, because they had this sweet white ice-rock-gem stuff out of which they make swords and shit. 

And the rest writes itself! The BSE usurps magic itself by crashing a comet and/or fire moon into the ice moon, turning most of that white stuff black, with the exception of whatever was in Westeros, ie. Dawn, the stuff inside the Wall, and a group of settlers there, who are undead-ified into being the Others. 'Others' in this case being like in Lost: when the First Men got there, they were already there, and so got called 'the Others.' 

The point being that this great cycle has already happened. And so the cycles of ASoIaF are wheels within wheels and so on. Jon and Dany are going to break the wheel by refusing to cycle it over again. Balance is restored.

Just goes to show the truth that 'nature' isn't some peaceful state of equilibrium; it's a series of unimaginable catastrophes. 

That's my tinfoiliest of tinfoils. I believe half of it about 50% of the time.

On 5/9/2017 at 10:06 PM, Jon Ice-Eyes said:

Yeah, OK. I'll get in on this tinfoil party. Mine is pretty... conservative. By which I mean that I feel it's not that innovative or wacky. I feel like someone will have already thought of it; all this has happened before and all this shall happen again (so say we all). 

The current age is quite clearly an Age of Fire. Since the Blood Betrayal, fire has been the predominating element. Valyrians and Targaryens and all that. 

Given that The George is clearly a hippie who is all into cycles and shit, we can deduce that there was an Age of Ice some time before. Waitaminute... wasn't there a time when Emperors lived for thousands of years -- yeah yeah, it's shorthand for 'a really long time' -- and were named for gemstones, which could easily symbolize ice? Hmm. 

So my tinfoil is that the GEotD time was the Age of Ice. The gemstone emperors drew their power from the moon. Maiden-Made-of-Light + Lion of Night = Sun + Darkness = Night-Sun = the Moon. (Stolen tinfoil from reddit: all that black fused stone was made by these guys and their magic, and it used to be WHITE). They made the Five Forts to guard against the demons (fire demons? Dragons?) in the east. That was their wall. They didn't use metal, because they had this sweet white ice-rock-gem stuff out of which they make swords and shit. 

And the rest writes itself! The BSE usurps magic itself by crashing a comet and/or fire moon into the ice moon, turning most of that white stuff black, with the exception of whatever was in Westeros, ie. Dawn, the stuff inside the Wall, and a group of settlers there, who are undead-ified into being the Others. 'Others' in this case being like in Lost: when the First Men got there, they were already there, and so got called 'the Others.' 

The point being that this great cycle has already happened. And so the cycles of ASoIaF are wheels within wheels and so on. Jon and Dany are going to break the wheel by refusing to cycle it over again. Balance is restored.

Just goes to show the truth that 'nature' isn't some peaceful state of equilibrium; it's a series of unimaginable catastrophes. 

That's my tinfoiliest of tinfoils. I believe half of it about 50% of the time.

Makes sense.

Some old tinfoil with a bit of spitball:
There were two "meteors" one black and oily, the other white and pearlescent- both are actually some kind of spaceship. The white ship is the pearl palanquin (or perhaps that is just a lander?) that the God-on-Earth flitted about in and the black is either a vehicle for the eldritch Deep Ones or a vector for them.The pearl ship was the second moon,  probably struck by a comet, but I submit that that the third, invisible "moon" may actually have been pulled from the heavens by the Gray King- I'm thinking of the rub-your-face-in-it repetition of trees and towers grabbing and clawing at the sky and the moon. And not to harp on about electromagnetism, but if the Gray King did have something to do with it than perhaps he used it to magnetically pull the Deep One mothership from the sky itself? He carved himself a seastone throne from a portion as a trophy.

3 hours ago, Jon Ice-Eyes said:

Vorlons vs. Shadows? LOL!! 

Ranking just slightly behind "It was all a dream" and "Post-apocalyptic medieval earth" for weakness.... that would just make my decade. 

But seriously. I really hope it's not space aliens. I could not tolerate that.

Depends on how he handles it- the idea of a colony of humans who have completely forgotten that they are colonists has a certain appeal, but I wouldn't want to see any kind of space-age technology in play to completely spoil the thematic groundwork and the idea of Lovecraftian "aliens" from otherspace is already pretty well established in the series, but hopefully will remain in the shadows where they are most effective.

I think it's a great theory but I'm not sure if it'll be explained that in depth.

The way I look at it, especially after all of LmL's theories, and Durran Durrandon's... among others, it seems even with all of the phallic references etc in the story, the origins are more vague.

I would posit that meteors can carry life certainly... we can see that in our own solar system no?  If the meteorite was thick/big enough an organism within could survive impact and then begin to either adapt or take over an environment.

The Palanquin thing is peculiar as hell.  The rest is fairly straightforward in terms of the God emperor and the ascendancy etc. 

The shit part to me is that the end game seems to be shaping up to be a continuation towards the connection to magic being severed more and more.

While the issue of the WW and the NK may leave an opening for magic to continue as the story ends, it doesn't look promising.

While it's possible that certain species are alien, I wonder if the BB itself sparked a response from the gods, but I say that in loose terms.  The Others seem to me from the evidence we have to be anti warm-blooded creatures.  They sure seem to like targetting humans, but other animals can suffer as well.  Yet, they also could be seen as the lion of night's response to the wickedness of men.  We still can't be sure which happened first, the betrayal or the coming or existence of the others.

I think that magic exists in various regions and is partially based in the elements, but that the BB began an age or at least ushered in an age of corrupted magic, including the Valyrian empire.  

In each varying tale of Azor Ahai, Hyrkoon the Hero, etc, we're not necessarily told if the hero is fighting Others, just that they put darkness to rout, and light & love returned.

What if the Others are LoN's scourge upon wicked men?  I know LmL says that all magic is bad, and in most cases I agree.  But if there's any element of truth to the idea of the God Emperor, then magic was involved then as well, only we can't say that it involved anything nefarious.  The magical element to Dawn if it's indeed the heart of a fallen star may not necessarily be evil in nature.

To me the story isn't so much about aliens but the corrupted use of magic and the conflict of the heart as an added element in magic's corruption.  

Is Thoros the only current real showing of magic that seemingly is pure in nature?  While we can argue that being undead is also a form of corrupted magic, if it is in fact a God's will that was the conduit to Thoros for Beric to be raised then we might have to withhold judgment just yet.

Mel and the poison doesn't seem like the greatest example but it may prove meaningful and mysterious if Mel has a great purpose yet to serve.

I like the idea just not sure if we'll get that detailed an explanation as to some origins and the basis behind some concepts.  Great thread and read though.

• 9 months later...

OP edited to include 6, the Others as aliens.

From ice and Blood:

"

The Others are an alien order of life either adopted human form as a means of adaptation or had that form imposed on them in one of the magic catastrophes of history. I favor them being either created outright or made "other" than they were during the Breaking of the Seasons catastrophe and then having a human face and will put on top of that during the Lightbringer Incident/Long Night. To venture deeper into the tinfoil, I think were "created" by the Deep Ones of K'Dath as a balance to the Yeenites (Sothoryosi?) "creation" of dragons. During the Lightbringer Incident, when the first dragon-rider was created this soul bond was somehow echoed with the Others and they changed as well, acquiring either an intelligence or a will that they didn't have before. Human souls that they didn't have before? Perhaps there is a subtle difference between White Walkers and Others- all White Walkers are Others but not all Others are White Walkers?
What is the counter to "Fire and Blood"? Dragons seem to have Fire in Blood, judging from Drogon in Daznak's Pit but perhaps the answer is Ice and Flesh? Ice and Fire/Flesh and Blood? The Others have flesh of ensorcelled ice and blood of liquid oxygen?"

Magic seems to be an important part of the Others' biology- it either animates them entirely or is required to sustain them in even well below the freezing point of regular water. Could they be the source of infection? I've tended to consider the battle between Ice and Fire as manifested in the Malady of the Seasons as a symptom not the cause, but if the Others are the infecting agent than the response of Fire would be like an immune response...
Still, there is too much of the uncanny in dragons and glass candles. I'm more inclined to look elsewhere for the source of magic but it must be considered.

40 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Haviland Tuf and his bio-engineering space ship. I am convinced there is some of that in this world's past. Just mixed up with some magic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuf_Voyaging

That would make sense, particularly if they tinkered in different ways in different biospheres. I wonder what their goal would have been, though? Some sort of arcane, long-term experiment, I suppose.

Archived