Pounding the Planet: Meteoric Thaumogenesis as Fertilization

hiemal

Old tinfoil, but relevant:

I think that  since weirwoods, which do not perish under normal circumstances, some remain "functional" under the sea after being drowned when Hammer of the Waters and other flooding events and that the merlings may be servitors adapted to altered conditions. So- pillars/towers there

Spoiler

as well as in the cave in the Rainwoods in Arianne's second TWoW chapter.

But I think that the underwater ones probably aren't connected to the main weirnet anymore.

And a new addition to my favorite tinfoil (R'hlorr is BSE):

The Lion of Night is the Great Other. After the Blood Betrayal, R'hlorr also usurped the Sun's power, caused the Long Night  and unleased the Lion's wrath- the White Walkers.

In this city of splendors, Dany had expected the House of the Undying Ones to be the most splendid of all, but she emerged from her palanquin to behold a grey and ancient ruin.

Long and low, without towers or windows, it coiled like a stone serpent through a grove of black-barked trees whose inky blue leaves made the stuff of the sorcerous drink the Qartheen called shade of the evening. No other buildings stood near. Black tiles covered the palace roof, many fallen or broken; the mortar between the stones was dry and crumbling. She understood now why Xaro Xhoan Daxos called it the Palace of Dust. Even Drogon seemed disquieted by the sight of it. The black dragon hissed, smoke seeping out between his sharp teeth.

"Blood of my blood," Jhogo said in Dothraki, "this is an evil place, a haunt of ghosts and maegi. See how it drinks the morning sun? Let us go before it drinks us as well."

Hmm... So this mysterious Qartheen tree supposedly absorbs people into it... and it's kind of weirwood reversed (white bark to black bark, red leaves to blue leaves [red-blue might have something to do with 'ice and fire']). And it appears that some catastrophe happened in The Red Waste - all other Qaathi towns are gone, only Qarth remains - maybe because it had those weird trees to protect it from oily stone's effect? 

And the Undying remind me of the Weirnet users:

Through the indigo murk, she could make out the wizened features of the Undying One to her right, an old old man, wrinkled and hairless. His flesh was a ripe violet-blue, his lips and nails bluer still, so dark they were almost black. Even the whites of his eyes were blue. They stared unseeing at the ancient woman on the opposite side of the table, whose gown of pale silk had rotted on her body. One withered breast was left bare in the Qartheen manner, to show a pointed blue nipple hard as leather.

She is not breathing. Dany listened to the silence. None of them are breathing, and they do not move, and those eyes see nothing. Could it be that the Undying Ones were dead?

(...)

Then indigo turned to orange, and whispers turned to screams. Her heart was pounding, racing, the hands and mouths were gone, heat washed over her skin, and Dany blinked at a sudden glare. Perched above her, the dragon spread his wings and tore at the terrible dark heart [As in heart tree], ripping the rotten flesh to ribbons, and when his head snapped forward, fire flew from his open jaws, bright and hot. She could hear the shrieks of the Undying as they burned, their high thin papery voices crying out in tongues long dead. Their flesh was crumbling parchment, their bones dry wood soaked in tallow. They danced as the flames consumed them; they staggered and writhed and spun and raised blazing hands on high, their fingers bright as torches.

But if those trees are either weirwoods, or their relatives, what caused them to have so different effects on its users and the land?

It's worth to mention that ancestors of the people of Qarth had contact with COTF, protoCOTF or their cousins:

In the southeast the proud city-states of the Qaathi arose; in the forests to the north, along the shores of the Shivering Sea, were the domains of the woods walkers, a diminutive folk whom many maesters believe to have been kin to the children of the forest; between them could be found the hill kingdoms of the Cymmeri, the long-legged Gipps with their wicker shields and lime-stiffened hair, and the brown-skinned palehaired Zoqora, who rode to war in chariots.

So they might have greenseers (blueseers?) of their own.

Now, it might be nothing, but for me 'undying' sounds a lot like 'undyed'. This word even appears in one of Dany's chapters set in Qarth:

The other man wore a traveler's cloak of undyed wool, the hood thrown back. Long white hair fell to his shoulders, and a silky white beard covered the lower half of his face. He leaned his weight on a hardwood staff as tall as he was. Only fools would stare so openly if they meant me harm. All the same, it might be prudent to head back toward Jhogo and Aggo. "The old man does not wear a sword," she said to Jorah in the Common Tongue as she drew him away.

And, in the Norse Mythology The World Tree Yggdrasil (which has numerous connections to weirwoods, as LML and others explored) has to be whitewashed with white mud from The Well of Urd, from Wikipedia:

In the Poetic Edda, Urðarbrunnr is mentioned in stanzas 19 and 20 of the poem Völuspá, and stanza 111 of the poem Hávamál. In stanza 19 of Völuspá, Urðarbrunnr is described as being located beneath Yggdrasil, and that Yggdrasil, an ever-green ash-tree, is covered with white mud or loam. Stanza 20 describes that three norns (Urðr, Verðandi, and Skuld) "come from" the well, here described as a "lake", and that this trio of norns then "set down laws, they chose lives, for the sons of men the fates of men.

The Winterfell weirwood stands above that cold black pool. But the Weirdwood Tree at Qarth has no body of water near it. So, maybe the weirwoods need to be near water when they're transfusing black oily stone. Or this 'white mud' is a metaphor for some ritual (like carving face) needed to safely use the weirwood and not end up trapped like The Undying Ones. COTF (and crannogmen) are often associated with mud. So maybe they're necessary to 'activate' the weirwood. 

'Undying Ones' = the ones who don't dye their trees and pay a terrible price for it.

For her sake, Ned had built a small sept where she might sing to the seven faces of god, but the blood of the First Men still flowed in the veins of the Starks, and his own gods were the old ones, the nameless, faceless gods of the greenwood they shared with the vanished children of the forest.

At the center of the grove an ancient weirwood brooded over a small pool where the waters were black and cold. "The heart tree," Ned called it. The weirwood's bark was white as bone, its leaves dark red, like a thousand bloodstained hands. A face had been carved in the trunk of the great tree, its features long and melancholy, the deep-cut eyes red with dried sap and strangely watchful. They were old, those eyes; older than Winterfell itself. They had seen Brandon the Builder set the first stone, if the tales were true; they had watched the castle's granite walls rise around them. It was said that the children of the forest had carved the faces in the trees during the dawn centuries before the coming of the First Men across the narrow sea.

In the south the last weirwoods had been cut down or burned out a thousand years ago, except on the Isle of Faces where the green men kept their silent watch. Up here it was different. Here every castle had its godswood, and every godswood had its heart tree, and every heart tree its face.

Quotes:

Spoiler

"Qarth is the greatest city that ever was or ever will be," Pyat Pree had told her, back amongst the bones of Vaes Tolorro. "It is the center of the world, the gate between north and south, the bridge between east and west, ancient beyond memory of man and so magnificent that Saathos the Wise put out his eyes after gazing upon Qarth for the first time, because he knew that all he saw thereafter should look squalid and ugly by comparison."

Dany took the warlock's words well salted, but the magnificence of the great city was not to be denied. Three thick walls encircled Qarth, elaborately carved. The outer was red sandstone, thirty feet high and decorated with animals: snakes slithering, kites flying, fish swimming, intermingled with wolves of the red waste and striped zorses and monstrous elephants. The middle wall, forty feet high, was grey granite alive with scenes of war: the clash of sword and shield and spear, arrows in flight, heroes at battle and babes being butchered, pyres of the dead. The innermost wall was fifty feet of black marble, with carvings that made Dany blush until she told herself that she was being a fool. She was no maid; if she could look on the grey wall's scenes of slaughter, why should she avert her eyes from the sight of men and women giving pleasure to one another?

The outer gates were banded with copper, the middle with iron; the innermost were studded with golden eyes. All opened at Dany's approach. As she rode her silver into the city, small children rushed out to scatter flowers in her path. They wore golden sandals and bright paint, no more.

In the southeast the proud city-states of the Qaathi arose; in the forests to the north, along the shores of the Shivering Sea, were the domains of the woods walkers, a diminutive folk whom many maesters believe to have been kin to the children of the forest; between them could be found the hill kingdoms of the Cymmeri, the long-legged Gipps with their wicker shields and lime-stiffened hair, and the brown-skinned palehaired Zoqora, who rode to war in chariots.

Most of these peoples are gone now, their cities burned and buried, their gods and heroes all but forgotten. Of the Qaathi cities, only Qarth remains, dreaming of past glories beside the jealously guarded Jade Gates, which link the Summer and Jade seas. The others were extinguished, driven into exile, or conquered and assimilated by the people who succeeded them.

What can be said is that the Qaathi arose in the grasslands and established towns there, coming into contact and occasional conflict with the Sarnori. They would oft have the worse of these wars, and so began to drift farther south, creating new city-states. One such, Qarth, was founded on the coast of the Summer Sea. Yet the lands in the south of Essos proved more inhospitable than those the Qaathi had vacated, turning to desert even as they established their foothold there. The Qaathi people were already well on their way to collapse when the Doom struck, and any hopes of using the chaos in the Summer Sea to their advantage vanished when the Dothraki attacked, destroying all the remaining Qaathi cities save for Qarth itself.

And:

The red priestess closed her eyes and said a prayer, then opened them once more to face the hearthfire. One more time. She had to be certain. Many a priest and priestess before her had been brought down by false visions, by seeing what they wished to see instead of what the Lord of Light had sent. Stannis was marching south into peril, the king who carried the fate of the world upon his shoulders, Azor Ahai reborn. Surely R'hllor would vouchsafe her a glimpse of what awaited him. Show me Stannis, Lord, she prayed. Show me your king, your instrument.

Visions danced before her, gold and scarlet, flickering, forming and melting and dissolving into one another, shapes strange and terrifying and seductive. She saw the eyeless faces again (greenseers?), staring out at her from sockets weeping blood (weirwood faces). Then the towers by the sea, crumbling as the dark tide came sweeping over them, rising from the depths. Shadows in the shape of skulls, skulls that turned to mist (moons? or comet?), bodies locked together in lust (celestial bodies, the comet and the moon), writhing and rolling and clawing. Through curtains of fire great winged shadows wheeled against a hard blue sky. - meteors falling down

The girl. I must find the girl again, the grey girl on the dying horse. Jon Snow would expect that of her, and soon. It would not be enough to say the girl was fleeing. He would want more, he would want the when and where, and she did not have that for him. She had seen the girl only once. A girl as grey as ash, and even as I watched she crumbled and blew away.

So, Mel asks for a vision of Azor Ahai and she gets it. He was a greenseer, he was a moonbreaker.

That 'clawing' is interesting. Maybe it implies the celestial lion, the sun?

LML, would you say that she sees the past or the future? Or that it doesn't really matter?

8 hours ago, hiemal said:

And how that relates to the founding of Braavos! Excellent...

A white stone, associated with a moon maid and the black stone of the Bloodstone emperor associated with Cybele, an earth mother.

And not for nothing, but I think there will be a tower or stone of ice in the Land of Always Winter.

The founding of braavos is not one I had thought of.  I did think about the founding of the faceless men though.  There are a ton of myths where the gods save someone by doing something that could be construed as killing them but preserving them at the same time, often as constellations.  I think it is all telling us there was someone who was a victim around the events of the first long night who prayed for mercy and received it in the form of being killed but living on in the trees.  

By the way you are like a highly efficient assembly line manufacturing tinfoil around the clock.  I think there is something behind every one you have said here however.  Even though I think you are thinking a little too literally in your conclusions I also think you are connecting the right stuff.  

8 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

Hmm... So this mysterious Qartheen tree supposedly absorbs people into it... and it's kind of weirwood reversed (white bark to black bark, red leaves to blue leaves [red-blue might have something to do with 'ice and fire']). And it appears that some catastrophe happened in The Red Waste - all other Qaathi towns are gone, only Qarth remains - maybe because it had those weird trees to protect it from oily stone's effect? 

And the Undying remind me of the Weirnet users:

But if those trees are either weirwoods, or their relatives, what caused them to have so different effects on its users and the land?

It's worth to mention that ancestors of the people of Qarth had contact with COTF, protoCOTF or their cousins:

So they might have greenseers (blueseers?) of their own.

I'm curious at your terminology- are you familiar with my greendreams/reddreams/bluedreams theory?

In summary: The fire system of Valyria and R'hlorr represents the weirwood soulcycle of tree as soul conduit and raven as psychopomp and greendreams and wargs grafted on to the system of fire/obsidion as conduit and dragons as pyschopomps and redreams and dragonriders while the Qartheen warlock system is a rudimentary (probably) system using shade of the evening- which I hypothesize is weirwood corrupted by Oily Black Stone to produce warlocks/ phantom turtles/ blue dreams etc. The Qartheen may be linked with the Storm God or the Great Other and bonus tinfoil: The great blue heart may be that of a dragon poisoned with shade of the evening.

3 hours ago, Unchained said:

The founding of braavos is not one I had thought of.  I did think about the founding of the faceless men though.  There are a ton of myths where the gods save someone by doing something that could be construed as killing them but preserving them at the same time, often as constellations.  I think it is all telling us there was someone who was a victim around the events of the first long night who prayed for mercy and received it in the form of being killed but living on in the trees.  

By the way you are like a highly efficient assembly line manufacturing tinfoil around the clock.  I think there is something behind every one you have said here however.  Even though I think you are thinking a little too literally in your conclusions I also think you are connecting the right stuff.  

That is a new one to me. Very nice!

54 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

Looks like you guys are talking about meteorites, asteroids, and aliens. Good to see people picking up on my ideas.

I'll just leave these here:

Thanks for dropping by! The number of different races certainly suggests to me that at least some of them should be non-local- that kind of evolutionary bonus in producing so much sentience seems iffy.

I like the God's Eye as an impact crater, but I like it even more as a focal point for the weirnet's energy- all of that sunlight and soul energy channeled from a continents worth of trees and creatures brought together through all of those faces and used to do the weirnet's will- producing a "laser" that could be used offensively or to continue the weirwood interplanetary lifecycle and launch a flotilla of seeds towards some new world.

15 hours ago, Unchained said:

There's a myth you may know that seems ASoIaF related.  A woman named Amethyste was being pursued by a lustful Dionysus.  In order to stay chaste she prayed to the gods to protect her.  The goddess Diana answered and turned her into a white stone.  Dionysus felt guilty and poured wine or cried tears of wine over the stone which is sometimes a statue turning them into purple amethysts.  Dionysus references are plenty in the books, and anything about a woman turning into white stone then an amethyst has my attention.  I am not sure how or if it fits yet.  The Nights King chased his bride.  Maybe the moon was trying to escape the drunken sun fertility god king and ran to earth in the form of a white meteorite.  The amethyst emperess is a descendant of the god on earth that came from the sky then returned.  

I need to to look at moon maidens who pray to get away from men some more.  

What's great is that the sigil of House Dayne is purple and white. I have long Peg them as descendants of the amethyst empress and the great Empire of the Dawn - I even call them amethyst Empress loyalists sometimes, them and the hightowers potentially. This is a really great find, because of course Dionysus is a stereotypical horned nature God type. 

As far as meteors go, what I am seeing is a bunch of black meteors coming from the second moon that was destroyed by the comet, with the one white meteor that made the sword Dawn being a bit of an oddball. Of course, the parallel, yet opposite symbolism extends to Valyrian steel swords when compared to Dawn. I have three basic ideas for where the white meteor could have come from:

- its the pure heart of the fallen NN moon. It represents her ghost, the part that wasn't eaten by Lightbringer (which absorbed her blood and strength and courage and soul). 

- it's a piece of the Comet that fragmented off before hit the Moon, making it a kind of original star sword. The problem with this is that Dawn would then have no moon connections - it's not the heart of a fallen star, but rather, just a fallen star. The heart of a fallen star language always makes me think about the heart of a moon, but I could be wrong

- my favorite idea is that Dawn is a piece of the other moon, what I think of as the ice Moon. That's the Moon that we still have in the sky, the one that didn't get obliterated by a comet. I have found a buttload of symbolism that shows one of those black meteors from the destroyed man becoming launched in ice, usually things which I believe symbolize the ice Moon. I think that Martin is conceiving of this as a kind of heart transplant, where the ice Moon loses its whiteheart and gains a new black heart. I have a feeling that there is a perfect parallel on the ground for this comma and that would be a black meteor in the heart of Winter which has something to do with animating the others. The others are very much like a model of my hypothetical ice Moon - they are beings of intense cold, but they have some sort of internal fire, which they have turned into a cold fire. The others eyes burn like cold stars, as if there is a cold star inside of their icy body. The TV show even has a parallel to this, which I will not to mention for sake of spoilers, but anyone who has watched the show will think about their version of how the others were created and know what I am talking about.

2 hours ago, hiemal said:

Thanks for dropping by! The number of different races certainly suggests to me that at least some of them should be non-local- that kind of evolutionary bonus in producing so much sentience seems iffy.

I like the God's Eye as an impact crater, but I like it even more as a focal point for the weirnet's energy- all of that sunlight and soul energy channeled from a continents worth of trees and creatures brought together through all of those faces and used to do the weirnet's will- producing a "laser" that could be used offensively or to continue the weirwood interplanetary lifecycle and launch a flotilla of seeds towards some new world.

If you guys were talking about the meteors bringing down the weirwoods onto Planetos, isn't God's Eye as the impact crater the perfect place? The Isle of Faces is practically full of weirwood trees.

24 minutes ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

If you guys were talking about the meteors bringing down the weirwoods onto Planetos, isn't God's Eye as the impact crater the perfect place? The Isle of Faces is practically full of weirwood trees.

It's a prime candidate. The only alternative I have is that the initial impact was, as previously suggested here, the Starfall event, meaning that the sword Dawn is a piece of "space" weirwood, something that does seem to line up with Dawn's color and nature.

If the God's Eye is the impact crater, perhaps there was some substance that is rare on Planetos that is found in abundance there because of the impact and that is why the trees are so plentiful there?

Re: Weirwood faces and their Isle:

Eyes are the windows of the soul and a mouth allows for the intake and release of power- could the faces carved in the some weirwoods relate to their function (I tinfoil) as soul conduits? This would make the Isle of Faces a very potent spot and if the weirnet can really focus its energies and release them destructively we could have the Hammer of the Waters.

18 minutes ago, hiemal said:

It's a prime candidate. The only alternative I have is that the initial impact was, as previously suggested here, the Starfall event, meaning that the sword Dawn is a piece of "space" weirwood, something that does seem to line up with Dawn's color and nature.

If the God's Eye is the impact crater, perhaps there was some substance that is rare on Planetos that is found in abundance there because of the impact and that is why the trees are so plentiful there?

That's what I am thinking too. Perhaps the impact heated up the meteorite enough to free up some spores hidden in its frozen core and released them not just on the Isle of Faces, but an impact could explain why there are other pockets of weirwoods in Westeros (or used to be) before a lot of them were cut down and burned.

@hiemal, in regards what you said about the Lion of Night being the Great other:

That's not tin foil in the slightest. That's just another way of saying that AA became Night's King in created the others, which I have thought to be the case for a while now. It has to do with the scenario I outlined above - the Night's King is analogous to the black meteor which is hypothetically embedded in the ice moon, with the ice Moon of course representing the corpse Queen, with her cold flesh as pale as the moon and her eyes like blue stars. Those black meteors are in many ways and now he gets to the lion of night, what I refer to in general terms as the dark solar King archetype, and that is how I see both nights King and rhaegar. Rhaegar impregnated Leanna, who would also be an icy Moon Maiden. Their child, Jon Snow, has many parallels to both gone the sword and to the others, both of which I symbolically link to the ice Moon and to each other. 

I do not think the stone faces in the re on chapter can be weirwood. For two reasons. One comma the stone pillars are attached to the cave floor and ceiling, and they are far Underground. I think they are in fact Stone. Second, and more authoritative, is the fact that the faces are not just carved in the pillars of the cavern, but also in the cavern walls. The walls are obviously not petrified weirwood, so we know for a fact that somebody was carving Heart Tree like faces into stone walls of the cave down there, so it's far more intuitive to think that the pillars are also carved Stone, just like the wall. It means that face carving isn't only done on weirwood, and this has all kinds of freaky ramifications in my opinion.

Good catch on the faces on the walls- I didn't remember that part and you are right- the implications are many and freaky. I've always identified the weirwoods elementally with earth and growth from it. What does this mean? I'll be pondering.

9 minutes ago, hiemal said:

Good catch on the faces on the walls- I didn't remember that part and you are right- the implications are many and freaky. I've always identified the weirwoods elementally with earth and growth from it. What does this mean? I'll be pondering.

Maybe it's a suggestion that it's possible to skinchange non-organic matter, namely stone and rocks?

And @ravenous reader has a nice theory on why this information is important...

2 hours ago, LmL said:

I have three basic ideas for where the white meteor could have come from:

- its the pure heart of the fallen NN moon. It represents her ghost, the part that wasn't eaten by Lightbringer (which absorbed her blood and strength and courage and soul). 

- it's a piece of the Comet that fragmented off before hit the Moon, making it a kind of original star sword. The problem with this is that Dawn would then have no moon connections - it's not the heart of a fallen star, but rather, just a fallen star. The heart of a fallen star language always makes me think about the heart of a moon, but I could be wrong

- my favorite idea is that Dawn is a piece of the other moon, what I think of as the ice Moon. That's the Moon that we still have in the sky, the one that didn't get obliterated by a comet. I have found a buttload of symbolism that shows one of those black meteors from the destroyed man becoming launched in ice, usually things which I believe symbolize the ice Moon. I think that Martin is conceiving of this as a kind of heart transplant, where the ice Moon loses its whiteheart and gains a new black heart. I have a feeling that there is a perfect parallel on the ground for this comma and that would be a black meteor in the heart of Winter which has something to do with animating the others. The others are very much like a model of my hypothetical ice Moon - they are beings of intense cold, but they have some sort of internal fire, which they have turned into a cold fire. The others eyes burn like cold stars, as if there is a cold star inside of their icy body. The TV show even has a parallel to this, which I will not to mention for sake of spoilers, but anyone who has watched the show will think about their version of how the others were created and know what I am talking about.

I prefer the first and third propositions.

The first would be analogous to @Voice's idea of Ghost the direwolf as Lyanna's 'weirwood ghost' and Jon's shadow-half (Ghost is even directly compared to a sword when he sleeps between Jon and Ygritte as nighttime chaperone preventing dangerous conflagrations from occurring!) Jon represents the recombinant outcome of the lunar sacrifice to the sun; whereas Ghost represents something anterior.  I also believe Ghost will be sacrificed -- like Dawn -- in order to usher in the 'Day', whatever you construe the latter to be.  

The third I love, because the 'heart transplant' is terrific and one of your best metaphors!  To add to that, it's important to see that 'heart transplant' goes hand in hand with a 'broken heart'.  Jaime's transformation into an Other can be used as a paradigm for understanding the process.  Jaime loses his hand, has his heart broken by Cersei (the wildfire moon), and is also symbolically castrated by her (when she insults his manhood and rejects him sexually, after he's distanced himself from her).  I also think ultimately all the progeny of the incestuous union will die, leaving Jaime symbolically castrated (the way Theon is also 'otherized' after sacrificing his own seed, the 'miller's children', at least one of which I believe is his own).  So, hand, heart and penis can all be seen as a Dawn sword!  Take your pick...  In terms of Hiemal's lurid thesis :P, I like the penis analogy best (although you probably don't, LOL), because the ritual castration of the male fertility deity, with subsequent milky downfall or 'golden shower' inseminating the planet is a common trope in mythology.

As to the second proposition, I doubt things just fall apart on their own without some kind of impact (leaving aside the second law of thermodynamics, for now, please :)), so you might modify the idea to incorporate the comet shattering on impact with the moon -- like the 'broken sword' hitting the heart of a lion (so still 'pure' because that particular piece of 'heart shrapnel' doesn't combine with the 'lion').

I think the Dawn sword and its dark counterpart were created simultaneously, by the same impact, like the diverging fates of the twins Jaime and Cersei, yet with a common origin.  The Dawn sword is the memory of the impact, the remnant, and the revenant.  

P.S.  'a black meteor at the heart of winter':  Thank you; 'the heart of ice is fire; the heart of fire is ice', as I proclaimed many moons ago!  And now I shall take a bow to myself:  :bowdown: RR, the Poetess.

39 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

Maybe it's a suggestion that it's possible to skinchange non-organic matter, namely stone and rocks?

And @ravenous reader has a nice theory on why this information is important...

Sorry BT -- how does my theory ('Deep Impact Drogon') relate to the point @hiemal made?

5 minutes ago, ravenous reader said:

Sorry BT -- how does my theory ('Deep Impact Drogon') relate to the point @hiemal made?

He mentioned those faces carved on rocks - which might suggest that they can be skinchanged.

And you propose that Bran will skinchange the comet. Which is made from - among other stuff - rocks. 

3 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

He mentioned those faces carved on rocks - which might suggest that they can be skinchanged.

Ooh, nice idea!

There's also this intriguing passage from TWOIAF relating to carved stones, stone voices, and the song of stones:

The World of Ice and Fire - Beyond the Free Cities: The Summer Isles

The Singing Stones, west of the main isles, have jagged peaks so riddled with holes and airways that they make a strange music when the wind blows. The people of the Stones can tell which way the wind is blowing from the sound of their song. Whether gods or men taught the stones to sing, no one can say

Stone Head, the northernmost island in the chain, is plainly the work of men; the north face of this sea-girt rock has been carved in the stern likeness of some forgotten god, glowering out across the sea. His is the last visage that Summer Islanders see as they sail north to Westeros.

There is a lot of symbolism to be unpacked here.  'The north face' also got me thinking about 'The North Face' of Everest which is where most climbers who die succumb to the mountain, so, in 'weirwood portal' terms, that's like the Others departing the 'back door' of the weirwood, or ice moon, and out into 'the bloody blue' see/sea.

From wikipedia:

The North Face is the northern side of Mount Everest.[1] George Mallory's body was found on the North face.[1] The North Face is a place where one author/climber noted, "a simple slip would mean death."[1]

3 minutes ago, Blue Tiger said:

And you propose that Bran will skinchange the comet. Which is made from - among other stuff - rocks. 

I proposed Bran skinchanging Drogon;based on that proposal, @LmL  then outdid me by suggesting the skinchanging of the comet/meteor (our favorite devil could just not resist the idea of getting up close and personal with the meteor itself!)  :)

I've been tinfoiling since I came on the board that R'hlorr is the BSE warging the red comet so that's probably why I hadn't considered the idea of Bran doing it until I just read this. Thematically that makes some good sense and actually,on consideration, I don't see the two as incompatible if viewed through the lens of Varamyr warging his former master's companion. Is that in your Killing Word thread, RR?

Archived