Tarred Heads

Moiraine Sedai

1. How effective is tar at preserving tissue?
  2. How high is the probability that Lord Walder actually tarred Robb's head?  What do you believe happened to his head?
  3. What happened to Slynt's head?
  4. Does Illyn Payne enjoy his job?
  5. Would you behead Brandon Stark if you were the king?

41 minutes ago, Moiraine Sedai said:
  2. How high is the probability that Lord Walder actually tarred Robb's head?  What do you believe happened to his head?

1: fairly effective 
2: His head was probably sent to Tywin 
3: Burned with the rest of his corpse 
4: you should ask him! Oh wait, he can't talk 
5: The King of what? 

1. Doesn't seem to stop the crows from enjoying their feast.

2. Stuck on the walls of one of the twin towers. Body and remains of Grey Wind tossed into the river, along with all the guests. Had Robb's head gone to King's Landing, it would have showed up at the wedding feast - no one denies the little king anything.

3. Burned - wouldn't want that guy coming back, would you?

4. Hates it, and every beheading is a satisfying reminder of what he'd like to do to his current employers. And all the past kings who put him in this position. Man can't even get a servant to empty his privy bucket, and nobody seems to be tasked with checking.

5. Hardly. Plenty of things it might be more satisfying to make Lord Rickard grovel for. Oh, and he wouldn't be roasted by me, either. But hey! I'm not mad.

7 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:
  1. Alcohol would be better.  It's not as if they haven't discovered fermentation.  Even vinegar would work better than oil. 
  2. I never considered that.  Joffrey asked for the head during the council meeting.  They don't have DHL so I guess it rotted on the way to the red keep.
  3. Buried or whatever they do at the wall.
  4. He's dispassionately professional.
  5. Sure.  He threatened to kill my son.  You can't overlook something like that from those who serve you and the Starks served the Targaryens.

23 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:
  1. How effective is tar at preserving tissue?  I don't know.  It's the best they had.
  2. How high is the probability that Lord Walder actually tarred Robb's head?  What do you believe happened to his head?  50/50.  It got sent to KL or it's still mounted at the gates of the Twins for all to see.
  3. What happened to Slynt's head?  Buried with his body.  Rotting slowly under ice.
  4. Does Illyn Payne enjoy his job?  Maybe.  It beats soldiering.  Better hours and less work.  He had a lot of free time on his hands under King Aerys 2.  
  5. Would you behead Brandon Stark if you were the king?  The strangler is more entertaining but a beheading is more expedient.  Yeah he dies for sure after threatening the royal family.

1.   Tar was used as a wood preservative.  It needed to penetrate the wood to provide long term rot resistance.  I will guess that it is effective if you soak the head long enough.  But then they all will look the same.  Oh well.

2.   Your guess is as good or as bad as mine.  I read on reddit a theory.  Robb's head is now worn by Robert Strong.  Robert Strong has Robb's head on his shoulders.  He's made up of Gregor and Robb put together. 

3.   Frozen at the wall.  The ground is hard when frozen.  Digging will be a problem.  Crow food.

4.   He doesn't much talk about his work.  I accept his silence to mean he's found job satisfaction.

5.   I think so.  It will be a mercy.  A little Payne is better than the agonies of roasting. 

On 5/3/2017 at 10:31 AM, Moiraine Sedai said:

I was involved in a heated discussion on this very topic months ago at another forum.  Robb's head is on the Mountain.  That is why he never takes off his helmet.  Bran's vision of Gregor actually supports this.  The thick, black blood in the visions is the tar used to preserve Robb's head.

George punishes those who start wars for stupid reasons with a fate worse than death.  Look at Stoneheart.  She started a war to get justice for one crippled little boy.   Look what she's become.  Robb called his banners and marched them south to war against the Lannisters and he's an oath breaker.  Fitting that he should not die so soon and serve his family's enemy as the new Robert Srong.   I anticipate something like this happening to Jon because he started a war over one little girl and he's an oathbreaker like Robb.  He can come back to part life as one of the Great Other's wights. 

7 hours ago, Ponzi Scheme said:

I was involved in a heated discussion on this very topic months ago at another forum.  Robb's head is on the Mountain.  That is why he never takes off his helmet.  Bran's vision of Gregor actually supports this.  The thick, black blood in the visions is the tar used to preserve Robb's head.

George punishes those who start wars for stupid reasons with a fate worse than death.  Look at Stoneheart.  She started a war to get justice for one crippled little boy.   Look what she's become.  Robb called his banners and marched them south to war against the Lannisters and he's an oath breaker.  Fitting that he should not die so soon and serve his family's enemy as the new Robert Srong.   I anticipate something like this happening to Jon because he started a war over one little girl and he's an oathbreaker like Robb.  He can come back to part life as one of the Great Other's wights. 

IIRC the discussion says Bran will warg Robert Strong and use the giant to exact revenge on those who have wronged the Starks. 

Maybe Qyburn is a skin changer and that is how he controls Robert.  Gregor was the rowdy boy when he was alive.  It doesn't seem to me that he could be the docile bodyguard that Robert Strong is, if he still had his head.  And the head that was sent to Dorne?  It had to be Gregor's due to its size.  A giant's head is too big and too different looking so much so that Doran would suspect.  

Bran is already warging a giant so why not Gregorstein.  That kid will go over to the dark side and kill his teacher.  That's the Star Wars theme that Alfie referred to.  Varamyr killed his mentor and Bran will do the same before he goes to the dark.  He had distance to overcome but with a weir close by to transmit the signal he can remote control Gregor.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:08 PM, zandru said:

1. Doesn't seem to stop the crows from enjoying their feast.

2. Stuck on the walls of one of the twin towers. Body and remains of Grey Wind tossed into the river, along with all the guests. Had Robb's head gone to King's Landing, it would have showed up at the wedding feast - no one denies the little king anything.

3. Burned - wouldn't want that guy coming back, would you?

4. Hates it, and every beheading is a satisfying reminder of what he'd like to do to his current employers. And all the past kings who put him in this position. Man can't even get a servant to empty his privy bucket, and nobody seems to be tasked with checking.

5. Hardly. Plenty of things it might be more satisfying to make Lord Rickard grovel for. Oh, and he wouldn't be roasted by me, either. But hey! I'm not mad.

1.  They're not famous for picky.  But why crows instead of vultures?

2.   Can't you come up with something more interesting.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, Midnight Confession said:
  1. Alcohol would be better.  It's not as if they haven't discovered fermentation.  Even vinegar would work better than oil. 
  2. I never considered that.  Joffrey asked for the head during the council meeting.  They don't have DHL so I guess it rotted on the way to the red keep.
  3. Buried or whatever they do at the wall.
  4. He's dispassionately professional.
  5. Sure.  He threatened to kill my son.  You can't overlook something like that from those who serve you and the Starks served the Targaryens.

Why waste a good vintage when you can use tar.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:16 AM, Dorian Martell's son said:

1: fairly effective 
2: His head was probably sent to Tywin 
3: Burned with the rest of his corpse 
4: you should ask him! Oh wait, he can't talk 
5: The King of what? 

He's the strong, silent type.   A Clint Eastwood man.

King of the Seven Kingdoms.  What else.

On 5/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

1.   Tar was used as a wood preservative.  It needed to penetrate the wood to provide long term rot resistance.  I will guess that it is effective if you soak the head long enough.  But then they all will look the same.  Oh well. Creosote. 

5.   I think so.  It will be a mercy.  A little Payne is better than the agonies of roasting. No Payne no strain.

On 5/3/2017 at 5:46 PM, Midnight Confession said:

In the movie "Zorro" the brother of Antonio Banderas got his head removed by Captain Harrison.  Zorro became Don Diego and later encounters the captain.  The captain takes him to a table for a drink. He presents Diego with a large wine bottle.  Inside the bottle is the brother's head.  Diego keeps his cool and

On 5/8/2017 at 7:38 AM, Ponzi Scheme said:

First time I've ever heard this Robb's head on Gregor theory - wow, this is why I come back to the forums.  Crazy!

I'm not sure if Jon is going to get the LSH/Robb treatment (I don't believe he deserves it) but I like you're thesis there.  Both Robb and Catelyn were wrong for what they did in starting the Wot5K.  I don't think it's commented enough on how smug condescending Catelyn who always knows better than Robb and Edmure caused the whole shit storm when she just had to arrest Tyrion outside of the law without even factual proof of his involvement.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:38 AM, Ponzi Scheme said:

Gregor is the stone giant in Bran's dream.  Inside the visor of the helmet is thick black blood.  The tar preservative is what Bran mistook for blood. 

On 5/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, Ye Shall Be As Gods said:

1.   Tar was used as a wood preservative.  It needed to penetrate the wood to provide long term rot resistance.  I will guess that it is effective if you soak the head long enough.  But then they all will look the same.  Oh well.

2.   Your guess is as good or as bad as mine.  I read on reddit a theory.  Robb's head is now worn by Robert Strong.  Robert Strong has Robb's head on his shoulders.  He's made up of Gregor and Robb put together. 

3.   Frozen at the wall.  The ground is hard when frozen.  Digging will be a problem.  Crow food.

4.   He doesn't much talk about his work.  I accept his silence to mean he's found job satisfaction.

5.   I think so.  It will be a mercy.  A little Payne is better than the agonies of roasting. 

Hey, tar was used as a wood preservative.  Thick black blood.  Put the two together.  We can sacrifice Robert Strong and feed his blood to the weirwood stump. The roots will absorb the tar and feed it to the greenseers.   I wonder what effect tar would have on the Greenseers.  For that matter, why not pour strong alcohol on the weir roots and get the greenseers drunk.  Tears of Lys?    

Archived