What do we know about Gared?

14 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

What if he is Rhaegar and Ned executed him in front of his son?

If Rhaegar was(or is) still alive, he wouldn't be killed on the second chapter.

Also, Gared is too old to be Rhaegar.

19 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Why Ned din't listen to him? Deserter talking about Others is usual for Ned?

That is strange, but Ned may have thought Gared was mad or lying.

Gared represents a lunar archetype that shows up continuously throughout the books, mostly in female characters. His actions and death fulfill the arc of that character type. In the story's background monomyth, the moon is destroyed, so GRRM knew already that a detailed backstory for Gared would have been wasted. Beyond that, it would have been hard to make a NW ranger's background thematically similar to the mostly noble ladies who later occupy that archetype. 

14 minutes ago, cgrav said:

Gared represents a lunar archetype that shows up continuously throughout the books, mostly in female characters. His actions and death fulfill the arc of that character type. In the story's background monomyth, the moon is destroyed, so GRRM knew already that a detailed backstory for Gared would have been wasted. Beyond that, it would have been hard to make a NW ranger's background thematically similar to the mostly noble ladies who later occupy that archetype. 

"The moon that cracked and spewed forth Dragons" theory makes sense now.

3 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Why do we know everything about Will and Royce, but not Gared?

He made it back over the wall

Why the series begin with his words which make him as important as Bran?

not at all

the ned has no time for the incoherent ramblings of a deserter and breaker of vows 

There needs to be an infowars type sub for questions like these 

4 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EVERY SINGLE TIME MAN. 
It's the equivalent of the "age of the machines" meme.

59 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EVERY SINGLE TIME MAN. 
It's the equivalent of the "age of the machines" meme.

That got me too

I've read these books 3 times and on my 4th waiting endlessly for Winds, and I still thought "who the fuck is Gared?" when I saw the thread line. Totally forgot about that guy, but if he is Rhaegar...I give up! :bang: 

As for the other questions, I really think he's ignored because it is the prologue of the first book and GRRM is trying to establish that the White Walkers have been gone so long it's mostly considered folklore and not a real threat to Westeros in general. And Ned is Ned. All he sees is his honor and in front of him is a rambling oath breaker trying to justify his actions to honorable Lord Stark to spare himself from being headless. It helps define Ned's character as well since this is our first glimpse of him.

We know enough about Gared so that while we read the prologue you keep hoping the little prick Weymar Royce would shut up and listen to the more experienced man.  You got a sense of foreboding as you read that prologue that something awful was going to happen because Weymar wasn't listening.  That's GRRM subtly telling the reader that bad things can happen when wisdom is ignored.  The noble lords easily dismiss the words of a man like Gared and it leads to a bad outcome.  Weymar ignored his advice.  Ned ignored his warning.  Both highborn men messed up. 

Gared was a veteran of over forty years.  I would guess his age at early fifties.  He's the grizzled veteran and who knows his business.  Weymar was poorly prepared to lead that ranging.  He got the job because of the natural bias towards those born and prepared to lead.  He had leadership skills but not the knowledge of what they were up against.  Just because he knew how to lead doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.  Gared was a good resource person to have on that ranging.

I wouldn't condemn Ned for doing his job.  Ned answers to the king and the laws are clear on oath breakers.  I would consider Ned an officer of the king.  He had no choice but to do his duty.  The only thing he might have done differently is investigate the man's claims. 

On 5/3/2017 at 10:16 AM, Brandon Baratheon said:

Why do we know everything about Will and Royce, but not Gared?

Why the series begin with his words which make him as important as Bran?

On 5/3/2017 at 2:16 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

the ned has no time for the incoherent ramblings of a deserter and breaker of vows 

On 5/5/2017 at 2:13 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

I wouldn't condemn Ned for doing his job.  Ned answers to the king and the laws are clear on oath breakers.  I would consider Ned an officer of the king.  He had no choice but to do his duty.  The only thing he might have done differently is investigate the man's claims. 

The scene where the deserter tells Ned about the White walkers is only in the show.

I just reread the first few chapters and there is no mention of the deserter (Gared) saying anything to Ned.  Bran's chapter says there was talk back and forth at the holdfast, and Ned tells Catelyn in the Godswood afterward that the man "was half-mad from fear.  I could not reach him."  Ned didn't take what the deserter said seriously because there wasn't anything to take seriously.  

18 minutes ago, Nevets said:

The scene where the deserter tells Ned about the White walkers is only in the show.

I just reread the first few chapters and there is no mention of the deserter (Gared) saying anything to Ned.  Bran's chapter says there was talk back and forth at the holdfast, and Ned tells Catelyn in the Godswood afterward that the man "was half-mad from fear.  I could not reach him."  Ned didn't take what the deserter said seriously because there wasn't anything to take seriously.  

Incoherent ramblings 

5 hours ago, Nevets said:

This wasn't the first time that Ned had dealt with a deserter from the Night's Watch.  If the man had the wherewithal to somehow make it over the Wall and get all the way to Winterfell then he certainly could have made it to Castle Black or another Night's Watch post.  Ned has probably heard at least a dozen different excuses and he figured that this was just another one.

Regarding Gareth, it's important to remember that he walked from a few days north of the Wall to a holdfast around Winterfell. That's something like walking from Rovaniemi to Helsinki, or crossing Alaska north to south on foot. At the very least it would be four weeks walking alone on the snow, having to steel food and look for shelter, hiding from any living person, and on top of that having to find a way to cross a massive wall of ice.

When Eddard found Gared he would have gone completely mad. I'm sure he was not able to articulate any kind of coherent phrase.

Archived