What will be Jaime's destiny?

Do you guys think that by any chance Jaime will be able to survive Lady stoneheart's trial? Do you guys think that Brienne will be able to save Jaime like he did to her? Or do you guys think she'll have to fight him? If so, do you guys think that by any chance she'll let him win? What are you thoughts about his situation?

I think he has to survive because otherwise I see little point to his story arc since losing his hand. This is complete guesswork but I have a feeling Lady Stoneheart is much more intelligent and more in touch with her former life than people give her credit for. I think she intends to honour Robb's last wish that would make Jon inherit the throne if anything happened to him. Jaime would be a "trade" and take the black in Jon's place. Of course Jon is dead but conveniently LSH can raise the dead. There is a massive geographical distance problem with this but Jaime's last chapter actually happened a couple of months before Jon was stabbed so they have been off the grid for some time.

I always read Jamie's chapters as an exploration of the nature of 'doing the right thing' even though it's not the 'moral' or 'correct' decision. Especially when you compare them to Barristan's chapters who did whatever he was told to do even if it troubled him deep down.

If he kills Lady Stoneheart he'll kill the one woman who showed him mercy during the WOTFK even though Stoneheart wants to see him hang.

If Cersei goes full batshit insane and becomes the Mad Queen Jamie may again have to become the kinslayer to save the realm. Which falls nicely into another theme of the series of history repeating itself time after time.

All guesswork of course. As someone has already said his story could go anyway at the point where Dance ended.

Of all the WoW chapters i am looking forward to this one the most. In part because it is so unpredictable as a lot of people have already mentioned and also because it was left mostly 'untainted' by readers' theories over these six years.

Jaime's story is supposedly a redemption arc so we would expect him to survive, but you never know with George and his tendency of flipping narrative tropes on their heads.

Frankly I think it'd be fitting if Jaime was witness to the massacre that will be Daven Lannister's wedding to a Frey. He's put through all the agony that his family inflicted upon the Starks, only to somehow survive thanks to either Brienne or his own ingenuity. He makes his way back to King's Landing and will die bringing down another mad monarch, whether it's Cersei, Euron, Daenerys, or even Aegon. Ideally having him strangle Cersei would be fitting for their relationship, though it does deny Tyrion his revenge.

59 minutes ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Do you guys think that by any chance Jaime will be able to survive Lady stoneheart's trial? Do you guys think that Brienne will be able to save Jaime like he did to her? Or do you guys think she'll have to fight him? If so, do you guys think that by any chance she'll let him win? What are you thoughts about his situation?

I've no idea how Jaime and Brienne will get out of the trouble. But they will. For me it is becoming clear that Jaime & Brienne are important for the end game against the Others. Check Jaime dream in ASOS. They both will end at the Night Watch somehow.

Jaime after strangling Cersei will likely take Widow's Wail and head North.

4 minutes ago, James Steller said:

though it does deny Tyrion his revenge.

When did revenge has achieved anything? One of the point of the series is the futility of revenge.

Yes I think he'll survive. But he can't outsource his oath to Brienne regarding Arya and Sansa.  Last Brienne heard, Arya was at the Saltpans and there is a second rumor that she is at the Wall.  So I think they will split up with Brienne going to Braavos and Jaime going to the Wall. 

It's time for Jaime to die.  Has he expressed remorse for maiming Bran?  No.  The idea of honor and doing the right thing appeals to him but how much of what he loves will he sacrifice to do the right thing.  He know Jeyne Poole is fake and yet doesn't do anything about it. 

33 minutes ago, Midnight Confession said:

It's time for Jaime to die.  Has he expressed remorse for maiming Bran?  No.  The idea of honor and doing the right thing appeals to him but how much of what he loves will he sacrifice to do the right thing.  He know Jeyne Poole is fake and yet doesn't do anything about it. 

What it is to be done by him in that matter? Who will back him with this statement? When he killed Aerys he had a good reason to do so, when he thrown Bran he had a good reason to do so. But right now on his arc after losing his arm, he's doing things not just because he has a good reason to do so, but because he thinks it's the right thing to do. What good will bring saying she's not Arya? Who'll benifit? No one would believe him and other would just lie about it. 

39 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Yes I think he'll survive. But he can't outsource his oath to Brienne regarding Arya and Sansa.  Last Brienne heard, Arya was at the Saltpans and there is a second rumor that she is at the Wall.  So I think they will split up with Brienne going to Braavos and Jaime going to the Wall. 

That would be interesting, imagine the Brienne + Podrick adventures going to Essos? But I don't think Martin can  end their arc within 2 books if she goes to Braavos. She's going to find Arya in Westeros somewhere. Now, regarding Jaime, the only way I can see he getting out alive if he chooses the trial by combat and somehow wins. Otherwise Catelyn would have him hanged no matter what he says.

This is one of things I am looking forward to the most as well. It is brilliant storycraft to make Jaime and Brienne look so incredibly guilty. I do not understand why people treat LS' intention to hang Jaime as her being blinded by vengeance. If I were presented with the evidence she has, i would consider him guilty way beyond reasonable doubt.

50 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Jaime knows Jeyne is a fake. Even if he thought that was actually Arya at the wall - then that is about as safe and returned to family as she'll get.

1 hour ago, Horse of Kent said:

Jaime knows Jeyne is a fake. Even if he thought that was actually Arya at the wall - then that is about as safe and returned to family as she'll get.

Yes, you're right.  I had forgotten about his encounter with fake Arya.

Stoneheart gives Brienne the Kiss of Life as a cruel way to test (and secure) her ideals and returns to death, leaving Brienne with the Brotherhood. Brienne sets Jaime off since the BwB tries to gain control over the Riverlands, serving as a proto-police so long there is no true king. Jaime's part in that might be to kidnap Tommen, whose absence causes Cersei's death, who kills herself before the Valonquar can get hands on her. Jaime never knows. He used weirwood passages connecting the big holdfasts and gets in touch with Bran this way, who still doesn't recognize him as his murderer but thinks of him as a king. Which is true in a way, because Jaime's green dreams are showing him Aerys as his and Cersei's father. Realizing the Targaryens failed the realm all the way, Jaime tries to make the wise voice who leads him king. Which is Bran, still trapped in the weirwood cave beyond the wall, wishing to have his live back. Theon finds him before Jaime ever could, taking his place in the cave so Bran can make his way back home. Because of that Jaime loses Bran's track just when he had the feeling to be haunted by Bran's ghost. Brienne is also troubled, because Riverlands and Vale are economically related, but Sansa never lifted her cover so reluctantly Brienne gives up her task to ever find her. As a romantic version of Duncan and Egg Jaime and Brienne reunite. Jaime opens her eyes about her heritage, recognizing her shield from the White Book and freeing her from obligations as heir of Tarth. Only to her he reveals himself as Targaryen bastard. The reader won't know what happens from then on but will know enough to imagine, though. Brienne has difficulties to engage herself romantically since she feels the death inside her and is afraid to pass the cursed kiss. But their story grows in other POVs. The White Book fills with legendary deeds only Brienne would be capable of, there is a new law whose symbol is a golden hand ect...

Sorry, just fooling around late at night. ;-)

He's going to lead a suicide mission against the Others to simply buy the realm of men time. His destiny is to be the realm's greatest servant and most divisive person.

Eh, the current situation is pretty irrelevant, they're getting out of it alive. Arya's coming. It's just to teach Jaime what happens when the crown fails to do justice, when the people lose belief that the crown will do justice. The small folk take it into their own hands and shit gets very ugly very quickly.

Trebuchet

6 hours ago, CornishDornish said:

I always read Jamie's chapters as an exploration of the nature of 'doing the right thing' even though it's not the 'moral' or 'correct' decision. Especially when you compare them to Barristan's chapters who did whatever he was told to do even if it troubled him deep down.

Well, banging your queen and fathering 3 bastards, knowing that it may end up tearing realm into the pieces certainly is right thing to do.

4 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

When he killed Aerys he had a good reason to do so, when he thrown Bran he had a good reason to do so. 

Failing to keep your part into your pants in the single most hostile house in the whole westeros is very convincing reason.

And what about stalking the whole Trident so he may kill Arya before Ned's men find her. Was she a threat to Cersie's children identity too? Point is Jeime didn't throw Bran to his death for love as he shamelessly claims. He did it because of his hatred and unhealthy obession toward Ned.

4 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

I do not understand why people treat LS' intention to hang Jaime as her being blinded by vengeance. If I were presented with the evidence she has, i would consider him guilty way beyond reasonable doubt.

And what about those who show a certain disdain for Blackfish because he is a bit harsh and judgemental in his confrontation with Jaime.

6 hours ago, Makk said:

I think he has to survive because otherwise I see little point to his story arc since losing his hand.

The very moment Jaime threw Bran from the tower, many of us wished a lightning strike that pretentious fool who throw a seven year old kid to die because he can't keep his parts in his pants right there turning him to ash. But that was too easy punishment. George had a much more satisfying way to punish him. Look what happened to him in the series. He lost battle to a teen boy who was fighting with wooden swords perior to that battle. He lost his sword had and his statue of a great warrior. His whole love affair proved to be a mummer farce. He released a man who killed his father. He lost trust and love of his brother, a man who kind of worshipped him. And he is going to be betrayed by perhaps the only person whom he wholeheartedly trusts. It's much more satisfactory than a mere lightning.

Just now, The Gravepisser said:

The very moment Jaime threw Bran from the tower, many of us wished a lightning strike that pretentious fool who throw a seven year old kid to die because he can't keep his parts in his pants right there turning him to ash. But that was too easy punishment. George had a much more satisfying way to punish him. Look what happened to him in the series. He lost battle to a teen boy who was fighting with wooden swords perior to that battle. He lost his sword had and his statue of a great warrior. His whole love affair proved to be a mummer farce. He released a man who killed his father. He lost trust and love of his brother, a man who kind of worshipped him. And he is going to be betrayed by perhaps the only person whom he wholeheartedly trusts. It's much more satisfactory than a mere lightning.

So you feel his entire storyline is simply Karma? This was quite well argued but I still feel there is something more.

Archived