Edric is more likely to ride dragon than Quentyn?!

Edric has more chance than Quentyn on riding dragons. His lineage with Targaryens is fresh. Daenerys and Prince Maron were wed in 187 AC. Rhaelle and Ormund were wed in 245 AC. If genetical memory of dragons exist they should know that Baratheons always helped Targaryens and Martells fought against them. 

Now Edric is hiding in Lys. Will his supporters advice him to go to Meeren just as Quentyn did?

1 minute ago, Horse of Kent said:

Seeing as Quentyn is dead, I guess so.

True, that.

3 minutes ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

Edric has more chance than Quentyn on riding dragons. His lineage with Targaryens is fresh. Daenerys and Prince Maron were wed in 187 AC. Rhaelle and Ormund were wed in 245 AC. If genetical memory of dragons exist they should know that Baratheons always helped Targaryens and Martells fought against them. 

Now Edric is hiding in Lys. Will his supporters advice him to go to Meeren just as Quentyn did?

He should apologize for his family's rebellion and offer to help restore the Targaryen dynasty.  

Oh damn, for a moment I thought you meant Edric Dayne, so I just sat there like: "Whaaaa..?"

But yeah, since I guess Edric should have more recent Targaryen ancestry than Quentyn and the fact that Quentyn is dead, then yeah, Edric has a bigger chance at becoming a dragonrider than Quentyn.

8 minutes ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Oh damn, for a moment I thought you meant Edric Dayne, so I just sat there like: "Whaaaa..?"

Robert named his bastard after Ned Stark while his all legitimate children have Lannister names (kings of Rock) and Ned named his bastard after Jon Arryn. This is a weird way to honor the friend.

6 hours ago, Brandon Baratheon said:

If genetical memory of dragons exist they should know that Baratheons always helped Targaryens and Martells fought against them.

Do we have any reason to suspect dragons have "genetic memory?" To me it seems more likely that have insight into their hatcher's mind, so they'd share Dany's hatred of Bobby B.

And as I've said in other threads where the topic is discussed, genetics isn't like mixing paint, you have a gene or you don't. That gene is expressed or it isn't.

9 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

He should apologize for his family's rebellion and offer to help restore the Targaryen dynasty.  

Ah yes. I'd love to see that apology:

'So sorry your Grace that your father tried to murder my father for no crime. The gall of him, fighting back! He clearly should have killed his best friend and then proceeded to cut off his own head when Jon Arryn refused to. The shame, the shame of having Baratheon blood!'

I suppose he might get Viserion the most beautiful yet weakest of Dany's dragons. It would fitting as people do say Edric is pretty much Renly clone in being all style but no substance.

I personally feel there is nothing mystical about Targaryen heritage that is needed or allows them to ride dragons. It has been them in the past because of their proximity, culture, knowledge and the magic they had. The entire Dragonseed aspect seems to me the Targaryens bestowing the title to try and keep the mystique intact.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:06 AM, Horse of Kent said:

Seeing as Quentyn is dead, I guess so.

Har!

On 5/4/2017 at 6:59 PM, Lady Blizzardborn said:

We don't know whether Quentyn could have ridden a dragon or not. Remember it wasn't the dragon he was trying to claim that killed him.

True enough.

7 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Some could even say it's foreshadowed that Stannis will nurse a hurt Rhaegal or Viserion back to heath from an injury and become their rider.

Based on what?

33 minutes ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

As a child Stannis had a wounded goshawk he named Proudwing that he nursed to back to health. Perhaps he'll do the same with a dragon, he may have enough dragon's blood to be a rider.

I see... He's a male Visenya, anyway.

Thanks for the answer.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:42 PM, Kaibaman said:

I suppose he might get Viserion the most beautiful yet weakest of Dany's dragons. It would fitting as people do say Edric is pretty much Renly clone in being all style but no substance.

I would disagree with that assessment of Edric.  He's a little spoiled, by bastard standards, but he's a Great Bastard (and the Targs loved to legitimize their bastards, or raise them as equals).  He was fostered by Ser Cortnay Penrose, a skilled warrior, and shows all the signs of physically being Robert/Renly Part II.  The boy is going to end up around 6'6" tall, all muscle, and he fights with the warhammer like Robert.  He even told Davos, "I'm a Warrior's man, like my father."  Robert was a spoiled brat/lord running around the Vale, and he ended up destroying the Targaryans.  Edric may have the same potential, especially with the life in exile to toughen him up.

On 05/05/2017 at 0:19 AM, WSmith84 said:

Ah yes. I'd love to see that apology:

'So sorry your Grace that your father tried to murder my father for no crime. The gall of him, fighting back! He clearly should have killed his best friend and then proceeded to cut off his own head when Jon Arryn refused to. The shame, the shame of having Baratheon blood!'

Robert didn't have to do all that, Jon arryn could've just holed up himself and his wards in the eyrie, there's zero chance the targaryens will be able to invade and take the eyrie, but instead Robert raised his banners in treason against the king and slaughtered the crown prince who would've been the finest man to ever sit the iron throne, a king who fully realizes the threat of the others and will fully mobilise Westeros in defence against the ice demons. And even after the trident Robert had the chance to repent by attempting to crown the next heir to the iron throne Viserys and execute tywin for the murder of aegon, but instead he sent his hired knives against the poor and helpless little boy and his infant sister, the usurper and his supporters shall pay for their betrayal when dany finally lands in Westeros to wrought the dragon's vengeance on the usurper dogs.

14 minutes ago, Yucef Menaerys said:

Robert didn't have to do all that, Jon arryn could've just holed up himself and his wards in the eyrie, there's zero chance the targaryens will be able to invade and take the eyrie, but instead Robert raised his banners in treason against the king and slaughtered the crown prince who would've been the finest man to ever sit the iron throne, a king who fully realizes the threat of the others and will fully mobilise Westeros in defence against the ice demons. And even after the trident Robert had the chance to repent by attempting to crown the next heir to the iron throne Viserys and execute tywin for the murder of aegon, but instead he sent his hired knives against the poor and helpless little boy and his infant sister, the usurper and his supporters shall pay for their betrayal when dany finally lands in Westeros to wrought the dragon's vengeance on the usurper dogs.

Great, Jon Arryn, Ned and Robert could have holed up in the Eyrie until they starved to death or winter arrived and they could freeze to death. Lovely. And it was Jon who raised his banners first, not Robert. As for 'slaughtering the Crown Prince' they were in combat against eachother. What should Robert have done? Tickled Rhaegar into submission with his hammer? Rhaegar was trying to kill him too. Why didn't Rhaegar side with the rebels against his father (since the rebels were clearly in the right)? Instead, he tries to kill them, including Lyanna's brother. That would have been more cheery news for Lyanna: 'Dearest, I know you are sad because my father murdered your oldest brother and father, but please be strong. Because I'm responsible for the death of your other older brother. Oh, and Robert, who I know you didn't like but was innocent of any crime. Can't wait to rejoin you in our love-nest!'

As for 'finest man to sit the Iron Throne' from the current information that seems... in doubt, at the very least. Running off with a Lord Paramount's daughter, who is engaged to another Lord Paramount and hoping that your mad dad can handle it doesn't strike me as responsible.

I won't defend Robert's reign as king though. Although handing the crown to Viserys sounds like a long way to kill yourself.

Let's not forget Shireen. She may fear the dragons will come after her but that could be about Aegon and Dany wanting to wipe out all other claims and/or the Usurper's family. Shireen could ride one of the dragons, and that would give her a fighting chance.

Archived