Italy Mediterranean in 15th to 16th timeframe

lwhitehead

47 minutes ago, Brother Longfoot said:

Someone will have to fill me in on the joke here.

The OP has a history of starting threads asking for help for a fantasy book/series based on a particular historical time period, but he never actually asks a specific question, just for "help," generally leading to confusion and snark. I only just now realized this one didn't actually say it's for a fantasy book, I just assumed after the others.

36 minutes ago, matt b said:

The OP has a history of starting threads asking for help for a fantasy book/series based on a particular historical time period, but he never actually asks a specific question, just for "help," generally leading to confusion and snark. I only just now realized this one didn't actually say it's for a fantasy book, I just assumed after the others.

It is a safe assumption, I would say. Not that the OP is going to come back and confirm, as far as I can remember, he generally posts once and leaves.

These threads are fun to read for the snarky responses though.

I thought you'd never ask.  Start with a real world seed - in this case let's go with the Medici family symbol, three hanging orbs.  According to popular myth these represent oranges, the trade from which helped create their fortune.  

The truth however, is stranger yet.  Most Medici men had three testicles, and the family jewels were displayed with pride.  Later, more prude descendants revised the family history, rigorously swapping oranges for testicles.

I think if you start with something in this vein (think the Stark children finding direwolf pups in the snow) that you can't possibly go wrong.

9 hours ago, Brother Longfoot said:

Someone will have to fill me in on the joke here.

As a rec though, some parts of Hilary Mantel's excellent Wolf Hall involve Thomas Cromwell's flashing back to his time as a mercenary in Italy and it's quite evocative.

That's just a taster. There is some older stuff too (concerning ideas for Asian-based fantasy), but I can't find it.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:03 PM, larrytheimp said:

I thought you'd never ask.  Start with a real world seed - in this case let's go with the Medicine family symbol, three hanging orbs.  According to popular myth these represent oranges, the trade from which helped create their fortune.  

The truth however, is stranger yet.  Most Medici men had three testicles, and the family jewels were displayed with pride.  Later, more prude descendants revised the family history, rigorously swapping oranges for testicles.

I think if you start with something in this vein (think the Stark children finding direwolf pups in the snow) that you can't possibly go wrong.

lmao

Archived